1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Better with alcohol

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by deleder2k, Aug 6, 2014.

1. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    It was Alastair Lynch former AFL player and I think he used to drink Baileys or sometimes vodka to help him sleep. I recently read his book which contained this information.

Sadly, I am now acutely intolerant to alcohol due to ME.

taniaaust1, Valentijn and heapsreal like this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    Interesting thread and since CFS, I have become acutely intolerant of both caffeine and alcohol. They both affect my tachycardia, blood volume, sleep, and interact with other meds. Prior to CFS, I used to drink coffee every morning and I was a social drinker where I could have a glass of wine or mixed drink in a restaurant and be fine. Now my body has absolutely zero tolerance for both!

maryb, AndyPandy and Valentijn like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Alcohol intolerance is almost universal among ME/CFS patients. One swallow, and I feel pretty bad.

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    At one point they almost put alcohol intollerence into the diagnostic criteria due to its almost universal that we have alcohol intollerence. So hence I'd query if someone has the same disease as I do if they could drink this and feel better from it.

edit @Valentijn great minds post alike :p (I just saw your post after I'd posted).

NK17, Valentijn and AndyPandy like this.
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @deleder2k
    I've just got up and feeling rough after a bad night......so I apologise for my sensitivity.
    Not all of us British like Magaluf :)

deleder2k likes this.
  6. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Doesn´t propranolol lower the high puls that is functional with your low blood pressure as the body compensate for a low blood pressure with an increase in heart rate? Did you try anything to raise your blood pressure, as salt, liquorice or medication? Adrenal insufficiency? Just some thoughts.

7. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Got word from my doctor that I need to increase my salt intake. Not quite sure how to do this... I could just apply more salt when I eat, but I'm not sure if that is enough. What about mixing a few spoons of salt and tap water?

8. Helen

Helen Senior Member

I think any way is OK, but just as a trial. As you have a doctor appointment soon I guess she/he can take a closer look at your electrolytes, blood volume, blood pressure and others. I recommend borrowing or buying a blood pressure meter, if possible, to keep track of the effects. Good facts to bring to a doctor...
    Liquorice inhibts the breakdown of cortisol so it is quite useful to take too - another day, also as a test, to see what happens if your cortisol level increases. Cortisol affects the blood pressure among other effects.
    Could the vasodilating effect from alcohool be what helps you?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    propranolol was the drug from hell for me......I was put on it after being admitted to hospital......no-one told me. I/my husband kept telling the nurses I felt ill (realised it was after taking this) their response just sit down until you feel better. Have they really got time for patients???:(
    I weaned myself off those little beads from hell over 2 weeks, counting them down.
    My doctor said I couldn't just stop them WTH. I now know all my head symptoms are related to neurolyme.
    Sorry once I start on the NHS I can't stop...back to alcohol :)

golden likes this.
  10. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    I cant touch a drop. When I could drink I found that after a couple of sips of red wine I would get severe pain in my legs which would go after a few minutes.

Really miss a nice large glass of red wine at the end of the day - preferably a Rioja or Chianti - None of that Australian wine for me, even when well - have you seen the amount of alcohol in the 'New World Wines'?

NK17 likes this.
  11. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Here is the article by Dr Myhill

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Alco...ves_us_a_clue_as_to_the_mechanisms_of_fatigue

She says at the end

And I say thank god for that!
    Actually last year, after a couple of months on Armour I had a great summer and even started to be able to tolerate a small amount of alcohol - just a small glass of a wine that was about 8 - 10% and it was lovely to feel a bit normal again.

Right now I am so sick I cant imagine even wanting to add alcohol into the mix - my brain hurts, I am foggy, my stomach aches all the time and I already wake up feeling like I have a hangover!

NK17 and Iquitos like this.
  12. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Even one sip of alcohol makes me feel very sick/poisoned. Severe alcohol intolerance in CFS has been known since the early days. I remember reading about it in Osler's Web.

NK17 likes this.
  13. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I liked Sake ... there was something in most grape wines which I rather disliked, primarily regarding flavor.

NK17 and justy like this.
  14. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Can't stand alcohol either. Regular wine gives me terrible muscle pain. Organic red wine without bi-sulfite is slighly more tolerated but no more than one half glass. :(

NK17 likes this.
  15. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    I was alcohol intolerant for the first 30 years of my ME. It's only since I've been using medical cannabis that I am no longer alcohol intolerant.

People may react differently depending on disease progression or disease treatment.

cigana likes this.
  16. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    I use a tablet called "Salt Stick" that my husband buys at a local bike shop but I believe you can also order on-line. I also add a lot of salt to everything I eat (sea salt not table salt) and take a tiny dose of Florinef and drink extra water. I also take potassium and magnesium and sometimes Nuun electrolyte tablets that you mix with water. Someone (I think my ND?) said not to take Licorice if you are taking Florinef so I have never actually tried the Licorice supplement. Hope this helps. Almost forgot, I take Atenolol for the tachycardia which is the most helpful of everything.

deleder2k likes this.
  17. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Total guess here, but Alcohol can have a sedative effect on the nervous system. In that sense, I guess maybe it might help OI because in some (maybe all) people OI can actually be an over-reaction to the stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

In my experience, even small amounts of alcohol make me feel pretty terrible in short order.

deleder2k likes this.
  18. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

Alcohol has always been a total killer for me. I grew up in Italy and one of my grandfathers was a wine connoisseur, he used to bottle his own wines. Back then it was common to give a little wine to young adults and all my cousins seemed to tolerate it well. My immediate reaction was heavy and painful legs, increase in brain fog and overwhelming malaise. Needless to say I've never got drunk in my life. With beer it was a bit different, I really enjoyed the heavy creamy irish one, maybe its large content of yeast and b vitamins might have made it more tolerable in my early twenties.

I've always naturally craved salty foods, since my early childhood and frequently recurred to a tall glass of water to feel better. I was also a voracious eater of licorice candies, my grandma couldn't believe that such a young child could like the strong taste of pure licorice (I also chewed on licorice root sticks).

I'm now addicted to olive oil and sea salt chips, they are my to go to snack. Not the healthiest snack, but I still need some guilty pleasures ;). Still have to get to like kale chips ...

maryb and justy like this.
  19. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    That is weird you should say that, because I've noticed the same...it improves my energy the next day!

20. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    I talked to one of the doctors engaged in the Rituximab study at Haukeland yesterday. She said that another patient gets better with alcohol too. They found it very interesting. I was told that they probably would do some sort of gene analysis on both of us!

cigana, snowathlete and NK17 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.