• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

better exercise tolerance in the cold?

uni

Does anyone else notice that their tolerance for physical activity is better when its cold?

taniaaust1

Yes. I used to only exercise at night when it was cold even better if it was raining and I was getting wet as well (it was winter when I was doing that.. I probably was pputting myself at risk of hypothermia but oh well I could exercise better).

In my case I can exercise far better at such a time as me getting warm triggers off POTS. So if I can keep cool, I have far more hope of being able to exercise.

Suspect it may be POTS knocking you about some when you get warm if you are more able when cool.

Artstu

I usually do better in the very cold weather too, exposure to cold boosts mitocondria cells apparently. I had thought it was the subtle increase in oxygen in the air and the cooling effect keeping the muscles going that bit more. I find really wet days can leave me short of breath.

mellster

Marco
Definitely for me as well and I think Artstu had a good explanation. It's common for healthy exercisers as well to do better in cooler conditions.