• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Betaine hcl....

douglasmich

I think low stomach acid could be a big factor in the viscous cycles we get into. HPA axis issues results in poor metabolic rate and poor HCL secretion which allows pathogens etc to grow over.

I have gotton some betaine HCL powder and i plan to put it into capsules. But i have just read that its useless without pepsin.

Is this true? I am not going to buy pepsin bulk powder too and weigh that crap out lol.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@douglasmich - I don't know if HCL is useless without pepsin, though I just read something that said you really should take it with pepsin. I've been taking HCL with pepsin for many years, and never realized the pepsin part of was crucial until now. You might try this product instead of making your own capsules, which is a lot of work! http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-hydrochloric-acid-pepsin-250-caps

I do know that many of us have issues with low HCL. Another cause might be low B1, which is necessary to produce stomach acid. HCL with pepsin has made a world of difference in my digestion. And also heartburn is very often caused by low stomach acid, but instead people are given acid blockers which only make things worse.