• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Betaine HCL and how to take it

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
On the advice of others I got some Betaine HCL. I have IBS-C so I cramp pretty much from everything I eat.

So yesterday, I barely cramped! It was great. Who knew?

Anyway, my question is how to take it. I found this site that said to only take it with protein but more importantly, not to take it if you take NSAID's which I do. They said it would eventually hurt the stomach lining and instead take Bitters.

Can anyone tell me about this? I know we are different. This is day 2, so from a cramping side I'm good. How it affects other things remains to be seen.

Thanks Please Tag me. Memory shot.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/10/4-common-betaine-hcl-mistakes/

Ema

but more importantly, not to take it if you take NSAID's which I do. They said it would eventually hurt the stomach lining and instead take Bitters.
If you're only replacing the stomach acid which should naturally be present with the betaine, I can't see how the risk of NSAIDs would be any greater than it would for someone with normal stomach acid production.

I took bitters for a while...they are, well, bitter!

Here's the one I took:

http://www.vitalityherbsandclay.com...tive-bitters-120-caps/garden_flypage.tpl.html

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have some stuff with bitters but I read something that said they were bad. Of course I can't rremember why

I ate an apple today, did not take betaine and still did not cramp.

I'll see how it goes with the betaine. Thanks @Ema

maddietod

My understanding is that Betaine HCl replaces missing stomach acid, while swedish bitters have a more generalized effect on digestion:

"When a bitter substance is recognized by bitter receptors on the tongue, a chain of neural and endocrine events begins, labeled as the “bitter reflex.”2 Mediated by the release of the gastric hormone gastrin, this reflex results in an overall stimulation of digestive function, which over time strengthens the structure and function of all digestive organs (liver, stomach, gallbladder, pancreas, etc.).6" from the Weston Price website.

This link has good information including:

(1) agreeing that you shouldn't take Betaine HCl with NASAIDs, and
(2) agreeing that you should only take it with protein-containing meals.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/10/4-common-betaine-hcl-mistakes/

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
well, I'm on Nsaids and the Betaine is helping. I don't think bitters will give me the immediate relief I need. Hopefully I'll be dead before serious stomach issues.

Also

Gentian contains a chemical that might dilate blood vessels.

Richard7

Hi,

The advice I followed on betaine HCL, was to start with one tablet per meal and then increase by one per meal until you feel a slight burn. The article I read recommended that you eat without distractions for fear that you might miss it. Then drop down one pill and you have the right level.

At the moment I take 7 with a meal and 4 with a snack, which seems to work for me.

I am not just taking it to get the protein digested, I want the whole of my digestion to work properly so I take some when I am just having coffee with a bit of coconut cream and a couple of pieces of fruit.

I hope this helps