• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beta Alanine for Hypersensitivity, Agitation and Mood - a Useful Adjunct to Freddd's Protocol.

skwag

I have been taking 4-6 grams/day of beta alanine for the last six weeks with very good results. Beta alanine is an amino acid which is popular among bodybuilders for its purported ability to "decrease fatigue and increase total muscular work done." (Source) The main effects for me have been
  • Near complete absence of noise sensitivity
  • No longer easily agitated/irritated
  • Improvement in mood
My dosing schedule has been 2 grams 2 to 3 times per day. When I first began, the effects were apparent within 10-20 minutes, but faded within a few hours. However, after a few days the effects evened out and now seem to last throughout the day. I'm now slowly titrating down to find a minimum effective dose. So far, 4 grams is still effective.

There are some possible side effects.
  • Paresthesia - Very common. Similar to a niacin flush. Most people do not find this too disconcerting and some actually enjoy it.
  • Stomach upset - Not extremely common, but a significant number of people report this side effect. Smaller more frequent dosing and dosing with food can help. It is also wise to start with 500mg or less in case this problem arises.
  • Insomnia - a couple people I'm in contact with reported insomnia after starting beta alanine. This may be coincidental though.

How is beta alanine working? It seems likely it is working through GABA receptors and perhaps by lowering glutamate.

"Beta-alanine appears to act via glycine and GABAA receptors (like taurine[84]) with comparable efficacy to glycine and GABA themselves" (Source)

Beta alanine is the rate limiting precursor in carnosine synthesis. Beta alanine supplementation increases carnosine levels in muscle and possibly in the brain (There seems to be conflicting evidence on this last point) . "Carnosine increases GABA, reduces glutamate and increases nervous system transporters (GLT1 & EAAC1)" (Source)

The last two source links explain, much better than I can, the possible effects and mechanisms of beta alanine/carnosine supplementation. Of note however, is carnosine's ability to buffer muscular acidity which may be relevant to PWME.

Last edited: