• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best place on earth for CFS

rosie26

These islands are quite cold in winter :(. I am now on Crete and it is not what I expect to be.But in summer it is fine there.

I need to spent time in winter definately somewhere. My nervous system is in fight or flight / anxieties etc. in winter all the time. I cant be there in winter definately.

Thank you
Love the temperature year round in Rarotonga, small island in the Pacific. I wouldn't get the flu like symptoms of my ME so bad if I lived here. Not far away from me either! If I had the money I think I would escape here for the winter months each year.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/rarotonga/averages/

hellytheelephant

Hello,

And my question would be what do you think is the best place for CFS sufferer to live? I would like some place
What do you think?

Absolutely best would be if many people like me would live there and we all would be in community like our accentors lived hundreds of years ago with no depression, anxieties, CFS and such things :(.

Thank you for your opinions!

Not sure if you are asking hypothetically or If you are seriously thinking about relocating(?)- you need to ask yourself if you are emotionally and intellectually robust for such a move. I don't know If you have lived in a foreign country but it absorbs a lot of energy to move cultures...and you would not only lose your support network, but also cultural references and language too. Healthcare would also be an issue. Don't compare a holiday destination with real life.

There is no magic place or we would all be living there...
If you really have a dream to try somewhere you should go for it- but just be realistic about what that would require.:thumbsup:

viggster

Have you found a climate there that seems better for your illness than D.C.--or other places you have lived?
Yes...like many of us, my body's ability to regulate temperature went wonky - it was difficult to deal with heat or cold. So the climate here helps out a lot by removing those stresses. There's also regular doses of fresh, clean air (the trade winds that blow across the Pacific) and that certainly feels and smells good. I haven't had any of the miracle "I'm suddenly better" moments that some people who say their illness is mold-related have had in various places, though.

Not sure if you are asking hypothetically or If you are seriously thinking about relocating(?)- you need to ask yourself if you are emotionally and intellectually robust for such a move. I don't know If you have lived in a foreign country but it absorbs a lot of energy to move cultures...and you would not only lose your support network, but also cultural references and language too. Healthcare would also be an issue. Don't compare a holiday destination with real life.

There is no magic place or we would all be living there...
If you really have a dream to try somewhere you should go for it- but just be realistic about what that would require.:thumbsup:

No, my plan is not to move completely BUT to live there for example 4 months a year or something like that. I can imagine it becouse this year I was 1 month on Rhodos island and now I am 6 weeks on Crete island. So that is possible for me for sure.

I found on myself that my leaky guts improve dramatically in the hot wheather. I definately would like to spent winter in some hot island :).

So the question remains unaswered. Sri Lanka my favourite destination was denied by community due to tropical diseases and dirty enviroment.

So still looking. It should be somehow close to Europe to make it easy to travel between those areas.

Or I can just give it a try how will I feel on Sri Lanka in season when there is not that much rainy?

So I am looking for island or destination where:

1. It is not that much rainy
2. Hot in winter
3. Not that much polution and diseases
4. Somehow affordable from Europe.

Thank you

Marc_NL

It should be somehow close to Europe

Hot in winter

Just these two are already going to make it difficult (depending how you define hot), I guess you want to be in an area where it's above 20 degrees in January (see map below) so maybe west coast of Africa or Emirates or Oman (both not very affordable).

SC 2016-11-03 at 20.34.20.jpg

Last edited:
Just these two are already going to make it difficult, I guess you want to be in an area where it's above 20 degrees in January (see map below) so maybe west coast of Africa or Emirates or Oman (both not very affordable).

View attachment 18067

What about Cape Verde for CFS? http://www.holiday-weather.com/cape_verde/averages/

Hot enough
Not much rainy
Close to europe
Not that much expensive it looks -> https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...&country2=Cape+Verde&city1=Prague&city2=Praia
But not sure about health care and pollution

On other hand Sri Lanka is more affordable.

What about Cyprus? It satisfies your 4 criterias?

Cyprus is fine. But only for 5 or six months a year. It is slightly better than Rhodos or Crete but also more expensive. So I am on Crete for now.

According to temperature I think that in European union the best is:

1. Gran Canaria
2. Cyprus
3. Crete / Rhodos

But on the other hand comparison according to costs it is:

1. Crete / Rhodos (cheapes)
2. Cyprus
3. Gran Canaria

So from this Rhodos / Crete seems to be the best compromis. And I am already here but I feel I needs to go lower on map as winter comes! :(

Gran Canaria?

If you like Sri Lanka, then Thailand might be a much better option.

And what do you think about malaria and such things? Is that serious issue for CFS?

I would stay there just in winter when it is no rainy and no humidity and hopefully no mold.

And in summer I would live in our cottage :)

Seems truly promising. What about risk of diarhea? It it is close to Egypt.

Sharm in Egypt is not OK? It is close, cheaper and hotter.

Thank you

SuzieSam

I Iive in Northern Israel and food costs similar to London - not cheap. I'm not sure of rental costs down there, you'd have to look it up.

Israel isn't the cheapest place, but it's a first world country with excellent health care. I've never heard of anyone getting diarrhoea or food poisoning in Eilat, because standards are high. I've got friends and family who go all the time.

I'm not sure if Sharm is safe because of terrorism. Worth checking out. Or what about South Africa?

SuzieSam

Oooh yeah! It's Summer in South Africa now! Similar time zone, great medical care - just choose a safe place to stay. Probably get good value for your money, too.

Last edited: