1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Best meds for high b.p. due to heavy metal toxicity?

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Dreambirdie, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    I have a friend who has been having flares of high bp for several months now. He doesn't have CFS, but does have toxicity from mercury amalgams. He was managing the high b.p. with several supplements, but they have lost their effectiveness, so he's considering medication, at least until he can deal with the toxicity issue.

Any input on the better and worst options of bp lowering meds would be appreciated.

thanks

2. Dreambirdie

N. California
    This is from Andrew Weil's article on bp. Does anyone have experience with any of these drugs? If so, which ones are the least toxic and least likely to give you side effects?

"There are a number of different types of drugs used to treat high blood pressure. Here's a rundown and brief descriptions of how each type works:

• Diuretics: Help the kidneys to flush excess water and salt from the body.
    • Beta blockers: Help the heart beat more slowly and less forcefully, and also relax arterial walls, together resulting in less pressure within and on blood vessels.
    • ACE inhibitors: ACE stands for angiotensin-converting-enzyme.This class of drugs inhibits production of the hormone angiotension II, which normally causes blood vessels to narrow, thereby increasing the pressure inside.
    • Angiotensin II receptor blockers: Protect blood vessels from the hormone angiotensin II so that the blood vessels can relax and widen.
    • Calcium channel blockers: Prevent calcium from entering the muscle cells of the heart and blood vessels, allowing both to relax.
    • Alpha blockers: Reduce nerve impulses that tighten blood vessels allowing blood to flow more freely.
    • Alpha-beta blockers: Reduce nerve impulses and slow heartbeat.
    • Nervous system inhibitors: Increase nerve impulses from the brain to relax and widen blood vessels.
    • Vasodilators: Relax muscles in blood vessel walls."
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00686/high-blood-pressure-treatment

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    I did beta blockers for a while and unfortunately feel they are part of what did in my adrenals. Has this person tried just upping their magnesium intake? Topical or oral might help immensely with this.

4. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Thanks Sparrowhawk. That was my thought too, about the magnesium.

Thanks for your input on the beta blockers.

5. john66

john66 Senior Member

I take Benicar which is an ARB, I found it much more tolerable than any of the ace inhibitors which made me cough constantly. I bought into the Marshall protocol for a while. Benicar does help in some way with inflammation.

Dreambirdie likes this.
  6. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    My dad has tried a few of those. The ones with the least side effects for him were the angiontensin receptor blockers, currently Olmesartan.

Dreambirdie likes this.
  7. Unim

Unim

Dreambirdie likes this.
  8. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Thanks Unim. That's an interesting piece of info.

9. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Chicago suburbs
  10. Dreambirdie

N. California
    @invisiblejungle Wow! That is an expensive book. So glad you pointed out the preview option. Great info there. I will pass it along. Thank you.

See more popular forum discussions.