• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best ME Research Charity to Donate to? Who has the best shot at finding a cure?

veganmua

This year, like last year, I am requesting donations to ME research in lieu of Christmas and birthday presents. Where do you think the money would be best spent?

So far my contenders are;

ME Research UK

Invest in Me (With the option of donating specifically towards the UK rituximab trial - which I do hope to get a place on if and when it happens)

Open Medicine Foundation - End ME/Cfs Project

What do you think? Do you have any others to add to my list? Perhaps if we reach a consensus a few of us could do the same, and they could get a nice boost? Obviously nobody should feel obligated, we all know how tight money can be for us chronically ill people!

Last edited:

geraldt52

If you can make the donation by Nov 29, OMF currently has a program where your donation will be matched with $3 for every $1...in other words your $1 donation becomes $4. Not to say that that should be the only criteria, but it is always valuable if we can leverage whatever money we are able to raise.

http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/giving-tuesday/

If you're comfortable doing so, you could also ask your friends and family if their employers might have programs that would match their contributions in your name...just another way of leveraging small donations into a larger donation.

And, as Ester12 said, thanks to everyone who helps in any way.

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hey @veganmua

I debated replying to this thread as I inevitably have a bias, but I believe the science and calibre of scientists speaks for itself with OMF which is why I got involved-please check out the Open Medicine Foundation/OMF.

http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/the-end-mecfs-project/

http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/mecfs-severely-ill-big-data-study/

They have already collected the samples for the severely ill big data study, and are analysing them now.

This is who is on the scientific board:

http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/scientific-advisory-board/

Dr Davis is board director and Dr Naviaux (of the recent groundbreaking metabolomic study) is on the team and funding goes to both.

Apologies if you know all this already!

Whoever you choose, please sign up to the newsletter :)

And as @geraldt52 says, till Nov 29th every $1 for OMF will be matched by $3 (up to a ceiling of $25k, so $100k is possible to raise, and then we have another donor!).

Whoever you choose, thanks for thinking of donating anyway-without donations none of us would get anywhere!

B

veganmua

@geraldt52 @Ben Howell Even though I have none of my Christmas or birthday money yet, I just made a donation to the OMF. I thought I'd missed the deadline for donation matching as it's 2.32am on 29th here, but then I remembered time zones are a thing and it's still yesterday in California! I'll make another donation in January after Christmas and my birthday.

@charles shepherd I'm actually making a blood donation to the ME biobank on the 2nd November! They gave me a consent form, and details of a specific study it will be used in.
Last year I had surgery and made sure I printed out and signed my Statement of Intent first, saying I want my body donated to the tissue biobank.

I'm very excited to hear about the new study!

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
@geraldt52 @Ben Howell Even though I have none of my Christmas or birthday money yet, I just made a donation to the OMF. I thought I'd missed the deadline for donation matching as it's 2.32am on 29th here, but then I remembered time zones are a thing and it's still yesterday in California! I'll make another donation in January after Christmas and my birthday.

@charles shepherd I'm actually making a blood donation to the ME biobank on the 2nd November! They gave me a consent form, and details of a specific study it will be used in.
Last year I had surgery and made sure I printed out and signed my Statement of Intent first, saying I want my body donated to the tissue biobank.

I'm very excited to hear about the new study!

Hi @veganmua

Thanks so much! Thankyou for being so generous with Christmas and Birthday! The campaign is until the 29th November so you are all good!

And you should get all the newsletter updates too (which are exciting) so thats awesome.

Thanks!

B