Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Best for of Curcumin?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by ebethc, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Hi
    I've read that curcumin is 1) best taken w Black Pepper (Piperine?) 2) best taken w phospholipids (usually, phosphatadylcholine); 3) Jarrow also makes a plain curcumin.

Which is best? Any brands recommended?

Also, the problem with the #2/phospholipids is that they are soy-derived (unless there's a brand out there that I haven't found..)

thanks

2. Sherpa

Sherpa Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie

USA
    I tried a brand called Curamin just once but it was effective for some nasty headache pain. I believe its a blend with other natural painkillers and antiinflammatories

zzz and ebethc like this.
  3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
  4. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    TheraCurmin has been working great for me.

ebethc and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

The Longvida form works best for me. It crosses the BBB and is thought to reduce brain inflammation. It made me really sleepy at first.

ebethc and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  6. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I tried turmeric root extract - cleared my sinuses and helped the air hunger that day, but also unfortunately caused severe stomach pain and diarrhoea - I'm going to try splitting the capsules into smaller amounts - have bought some blanks, but not looking forward to moving the powder from one capsule to another...

ebethc likes this.
  7. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Is the curcumin with bioperine (black pepper) really better than the other kinds of curcumin? (plain, meriva, etc)

thanks

8. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    I am using Jarrow. Splitting a 500mg capsule and taking 125mg. I am tolerating it well. I am not taking it with fats or pepper or anything special.

As far as I can tell it is working. I have had to reduce my diabetes meds and stop taking Cartia due to the curcumin reducing my blood sugar levels and thinning my blood. :) I have been on it for about 6 weeks. I can't think of anything else I am taking or doing that is having these effects.

Best wishes Andy

ebethc likes this.
  9. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Washington
    I just wanted to give a warning about Curcumin. I had Sjogren's antibodies and started taking Curcumin. The antibodies doubled. After I quit taking it, they went down. I assume it is probably one of the best things a person with a weak immune system can take. However, if you also have an autoimmune disease, it might not be a good idea to take Curcumin.

Hanna and ebethc like this.
  10. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Vitamin D at 3,000 iu daily for 3 months had this same effect on my thyroid antibodies last year.

ebethc likes this.
  11. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Wow... I wonder what the link is between Vitamin D & Thyroid...

I don't have thyroid antibodies, but I'm hypothyroid and I believe that it has something to do w my immune problems..

I have EBV antibodies and I hope curcumin doesn't mess up my EBV... It's a drag when it flares.

thanks.

12. Gondwanaland

There is a strong link between vit D and immunity ;)
    Have you ever tried Lysine to keep EBV at bay?

ebethc likes this.
  13. perchance dreamer

I wanted to add that the noticeable effect I have with Longvida is improvement in short-term memory. I don't see any help with joint pain from this supplement.

However, the short-term memory improvement is big for me. My father had Alzheimer's, and 2 first cousins got it in their 50s, so when I started noticing a memory problem, I freaked out.

It took 2 or 3 weeks, but my short-term memory has really improved.

ebethc, justy and Gondwanaland like this.
  14. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I have taken Lysine sporadically.... The thing w aminos is that they can get out of balance so easily.. What is the correct dosage w lysine for EBV?

Gondwanaland likes this.
  15. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Glad to hear that it helped! What is Longvida? What's the dosage?

16. Gondwanaland

I am sorry I don't know the answer to your question...

17. TheWig

TheWig

Not sure about which brands are the best, but I have certainly read that Curcumin paired with Black pepper extract is far more effective. I think the Bioperine website states it is absorbed 2000x better if I remember correctly.
    Also, have you looked at phosphatidylserine?

ebethc likes this.
  18. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    The only brand that works for me in Enhansa.

ebethc likes this.
  19. perchance dreamer

@ebethc, sorry to be so late responding to you.

The brand of Longvida I take is Protocol for Life Cogcumin SLCP, 400 MG. I take one in the morning and one in the late afternoon, both on an empty stomach. There are other brands of Longvida.

20. acrosstheveil

acrosstheveil Senior Member

i've tried all sorts and my favorite is liposomal curcumin w/ resveratrol. made from non-soy phospholipids too!

from seeking health

ebethc likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.