Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Best approach to disability? CFS or Ebv?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Clerner, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    Titers (igg) to EBV have increased, early antigen still high after 1year, 6 months.

Have: ebv, parvovirus, hhv6, many strains of Coxsackie A &B, chlamydia pneumoniae, chlamydia trachomatis, mycoplasma pneumoniae, and yersinia entercolitica, C4a 13,000, cd57 68. Only dx fibromyalgia so far.

Easier to get disability for CFS or chronic, active ebv or fibro? Any advice in getting disability? Thanks for any info.

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I recommend reading through the following to start if you're considering applying with a diagnosis of CFS.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/cfs-pub063.htm
    https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/di/01/SSR2014-01-di-01.html

Of note to your specific question, from the 2nd link:

Clerner likes this.
  3. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    @halcyon Thanks for the info! So basically I should forget about if I don't have sleep studies or stress studies! Just a ton of blood work with lots of viruses and infection and inflammation. my ebv numbers are not in a ratio to compare. Ugh!

4. Denise

Denise Senior Member

@Clerner - Social Security Disability and long-term disability (LTD) determinations are based on functional capacity rather than diagnosis.
    How much can you walk, sit, stand, work in a day?
    How do physical activities impact you?
    How do cognitive activities impact you?
    Are you able to complete Activities of Daily Living? http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/caringforyourparents/handbook/pdf/cfyp_adl_checklist.pdf
    What happens if you exceed limits? Duration, severity of symptoms....
    How does this differ from pre-illness?

There are many PR threads on disability.

Kati likes this.
  5. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    You need two things in order to be approved for Soc. Sec. disability:
    1. A diagnosis of a disorder/disease.
    2. Proof that this disorder/disease is causing you to be disabled (unable to work).

I went before an administrative law judge with an attorney. While I was there, the judge went through the manual and checked off which disorder/disease I had. Then we spent more time talking about how my illnesses (CFS/FM) affected my ability to work.

An attorney specializing in Soc. Sec. disability cases would know "which door" (as my attorney put it) would be easiest to get through, as far as a diagnosis goes. If you are at the first stage of applying for Soc. Sec. disability, I would list ALL known diagnoses that are potentially disabling. If you eventually meet with an attorney, they might have another strategy.

Long-term disability law is contract law, so you would have to read the contract you signed when you took out the policy, to see what they require.

See more popular forum discussions.