• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

best antiviral for EBV and HSV-1 titer?

cb2

Hi
I am wondering about opinions on antiviral for EBV and HSV-1 titers?
I am trying famvir but i think it is causing more depression and fatigue- might acyclovair be helpful? thanks

cb2

thank you @Mary and @Vineyard1 I forgot i did order some olive leaf extract, i have super strength 750mg. I also have acyclovir. any idea on how much olive leaf to take? i will also keep an eye on my BP, thank you Vineyard1.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @cb2 - I'm taking Swanson Brand super strength OLE, 750 mg. (standardized to 20% oleuropein). I take two capsules a day, the bottle didn't say how much to take but my muscle testing indicates 2 are good. I think it's helping me.

I didn't know it could lower blood pressure - it hasn't done that to me, but that's good to be aware of.

If I were you, I'd try one thing at a time so that you know what is doing what to you. I prefer herbs to drugs whenever possible, so I would start with the OLE and see if it helps. I have no idea how the OLE and acyclovir would work in combination, someone else I'm sure would have more information on that.

cb2

@Mary that is the same stuff i have ! thanks for the support. I hear you about trying 1 thing at a time. not easy for me..the more desperate i get the harder to be patient. How long you been taking the OLE? what are you noticing as far as benefits? hope you dont mind my asking? thank you

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @cb2 - I've been taking the OLE for about 12 weeks (haven't kept track). I tried another brand a few years ago which did nothing for me, but I think this one is a pretty good product. I haven't had any negative side effects. My EBV numbers are okay, but it's the HSV I was concerned about and I'm having fewer cold sores.

cb2

thank you @Mary I may give it a try. I am in a flare, with the HSV-1 but instead of getting cold sores it is like the flare happens inside my gum or the top of my mouth and it effects my eye. kinda painful.
thank you for the links Mij.. i will look at them a bit overwhelmed now. that black cumin seems pretty powerful! have you tried it?

Mij

@cb2 I've got some on order. I've been dealing with a viral infection for almost a year straight and can't get a break which is unusual because I usually get over it by now. I'm suspecting EBV, swollen glands, vertigo, inflamed ears, tired legs all the time so I can't go out for walks. I'm seeing my doctor in June, so until then I'm trying blackseed oil.

I'll post my experience.after I've had some experience with it.

cb2

@Mij a year is a long time. I hope the blackseed oil helps. does vit c help? i take alot of that. how come so long to see the dr? I hope you can feel better soon.

@Daffodil i tried the Valtrex and it made me depressed- so i decided to go back to the acyclovair, i had good success with that in the beginning 2011.. i think..hard to remember. but i was more active then in any case so i am using that as a guide- or it could be i just wasn't as sick then.

I also have a chinese dr that is giving me some herbs he said he has worked with this alot and seen folks get better after about a year.

ebethc

@Mij a year is a long time. I hope the blackseed oil helps. does vit c help? i take alot of that. how come so long to see the dr? I hope you can feel better soon.

@Daffodil i tried the Valtrex and it made me depressed- so i decided to go back to the acyclovair, i had good success with that in the beginning 2011.. i think..hard to remember. but i was more active then in any case so i am using that as a guide- or it could be i just wasn't as sick then.

I also have a chinese dr that is giving me some herbs he said he has worked with this alot and seen folks get better after about a year.

@cb2 - is depression a common side effect of valtrex?

ebethc

Hi @cb2 - I've been taking the OLE for about 12 weeks (haven't kept track). I tried another brand a few years ago which did nothing for me, but I think this one is a pretty good product. I haven't had any negative side effects. My EBV numbers are okay, but it's the HSV I was concerned about and I'm having fewer cold sores.

@Mary - did you experience any crash or herx w olive leaf extract? how long did it take for it to pass?