• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

best absorbed magnesium

Lotus97

An other magnesium supplement called Jigsaw magnesium w/srt (sustained release technology) releases the magnesium slowly over 8 hours. It is better absorbed but not 100% but better than most but is not a simple magnesium supplement it contains the active forms of B6 and Folate: check it out here: http://www.jigsawhealth.com/supplements/magnesium?source=cj
Hmm, it's a low dose of Quatrefolic® (aka methylfolate), but still worth mentioning since it could cause problems for a few sensitive individuals. I have no idea if this is any better than regular magnesium malate (yeah I know it's sustained release), but I would recommend starting at one tablet a day to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction to the methylfolate. I'm mentioning this partially because this is not the methylation forum and many aren't familiar with possible effects of taking active folate.

moblet

Unknown Quantity
heaps, I bought some Endura Magnesium Rehydration Formula from a GoVita shop when I was in Queensland last year. I didn't have Mg in mind when I bought it (I had tried Mg supplements years ago with no effect), just some notion of it maybe helping me feel less drained in hot weather. It gave me much more of a boost than I expected (again, I've used other rehydration powders before), and I can't help wondering if it's the Mg that's doing it (the only other actives are Ca and balanced K/Na, and I believe I have these covered). It only helps me if I've been in sweat-inducing weather, and I take it at around half the recommended concentration. If you buy it and it doesn't help you, hang onto it and I'll buy it off you when I'm up your way in winter.

Ten years ago a health professional of some forgotten persuasion told me that Australian soils are characteristically deficient in Mg. I've not sought to confirm this.

Has anyone else besides robertpcx tried ReMag?

There are plenty of people taking ReMag, https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mag.../479259235475484/?notif_t=group_comment_reply here for ReMag and oral and magnesium chloride transdermal are used and discussed every day, if you really want to educate your self you can get an invite to join the Magnesium advocacy group, and ask doctors free of charge all the question you have about your illness and what magnesium supplements will help the most. This is if you are here to educate yourself or you are just being a spoilsport.

To join the magnesium advocacy group, click on this link, http://drcarolyndean.com/ in the upper right corner of this link click on contact and ask Dr. Carolyn Dean a question via email about magnesium and she will send you an email with a link to the magnesium advovacy group on face book click on the invite there will be instructions on how to join the group, you can then find out for your selves. You don't have to take my word for it, certainly not without 3rd party confirmation. If you join this group you will have the oppertunity to have all of your questiones answers by the professionals.

Please help your selves and take advantage of this oppertunity to learn more about magnesium.

If you are so inclined you can read about my real life experience with magnesium, it's the first story on this link, http://archive.aweber.com/drcarolyndean/7Wh6U/h/Magnesium_Anxiety_and_Gall.htm

Critisize all you want, but that doesn't further your education.

Here is something for you to chew on.

Attachments

• SEMMELWEIS_REFLEX.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 23
I think that the best absorbed magnesium is in organic forms (citrate, gluconate, etc.). It can be taken as a supplement, but to enhance the absorption even further it's best taken as a part of your diet. The food contains many other supporting nutrients, vitamins and enzymes which all work as a whole, supporting each other's absorption and metabolism. Here is an example of magnesium rich foods: http://www.foodtips.org/magnesium-foods/

Over a century of fertilizing with NPK much of the magnesium in the soil has been depleted as they don't replete magnesium back into the soil, http://www.canadianlongevity.net/misc/mineral_depletion.php and Magnesium Water (magnesium bicarbonate) recipe below:

Special NOTE: You should know some brands of Milk Of Magnesia like Phillips and Equate contain, inactive ingrediant, Sodium Hypochlorite this is common house hold bleach.
There are some generic brands which contain only Magnesium Hydroxide and purified water, These are CVS Milk of Magnesia original flavor, and Walgreens brand Milk of Magnesia original flavor, and Vitacost Good Sense Milk of Magnesia Original flavor. Check both labels, Active ingrediants and Inactive ingrediants for unwanted chemicals. For best results your milk of magnesia should only contain Magnesium Hydroxide and puridied water. There may be other generic brands which may only contain Magnesium Hydroxide and puridied water as well.
The finished product containes concentrated Magnesium bicarbonate and should be diluted.
To make 4 liters of magnesium bicarbonate drinking water with approximately 125 mg of magnesium and approximately 625 mg of bicarbonate per liter and a pH of approximately 8+ measure and transfer 1/3 liter of the concentrate (333 ml) into a 4-liter container. Fill the container with 3 2/3 liters of purified water (no sodium fluoride), as desired.

To prepare the water follow these steps:

1. Chill a 1-liter bottle of unflavored seltzer, which is fully carbonated water. The seltzer should only contain water and carbon dioxide (CO2). Club soda is carbonated water with a small amount of added sodium and is also suitable.

2. Shake the bottle of Milk of Magnesia well, then measure out 3 tablespoons (45 ml) and have it ready. The plastic measuring cup that comes with the MoM is accurate and ideal for the purpose.

3. Remove the bottle of unflavored seltzer from the refrigerator without agitating it. Open it slowly and carefully to minimize the loss of CO2. As soon as the initial fizzing settles down, slowly add the pre-measured MoM. Promptly replace the cap on the water bottle and shake it vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy.

After ½ hour or so the liquid will have cleared, and any un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide will have settled to the bottom of the bottle. Again shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy again. When the liquid again clears all of the magnesium hydroxide in the MoM should have reacted with all of the CO2 to become dissolved (ionized) magnesium and bicarbonate.

If a small amount of un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide still remains in the bottom of the bottle as a sediment it may be ignored.

This 1 liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate. It should be kept in the refrigerator. You may note that the sides of the bottle “cave in” when the liquid clears. This is a sign that the reaction is complete.

Over a century of fertilizing with NPK much of the magnesium in the soil has been depleted as they don't replete magnesium back into the soil, http://www.canadianlongevity.net/misc/mineral_depletion.php and Magnesium Water (magnesium bicarbonate) recipe below:

Yes, that's true. But there is one solution - consuming foods that have been grown organically. Organic standards cover also the way how soil should be treated so that it does not lose it's mineral and trace element content.

But to be sure that you are getting all the minerals and vitamins, the supplements are vital in most cases. However, one needs to be aware that excessive amounts of some minerals (like calcium) can be harmful. With magnesium there should be no concerns even if consumed more than recommended doses.

Yes, that's true. But there is one solution - consuming foods that have been grown organically. Organic standards cover also the way how soil should be treated so that it does not lose it's mineral and trace element content.

But to be sure that you are getting all the minerals and vitamins, the supplements are vital in most cases. However, one needs to be aware that excessive amounts of some minerals (like calcium) can be harmful. With magnesium there should be no concerns even if consumed more than recommended doses.

Well said!

Hi Robert, I have had great results also with magnesium, I was using magnesium milk but juts shifted to chelated magnesium. What improvements would you say you have had using magnesium in levels of wellbeing? Did it afect positively your brain fog?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Lactate uh? Does it improve sleep quality or latency? Threonate... They say is the Threonic Acid that actually gives you positive effects from that supplement.

perchance dreamer

@Beyond, for me the MG lactate improves both the quality and how long I sleep.

Some people find MG threonate sedating and take it at night, but I have to take it as soon as I wake up. It's interesting that it affects people so differently.

I can't tell an effect from MG threonate since I've only been able to take 1/3 dose, but I take it anyway in the hopes it helps my brain, even it's not noticeable. I feel a big effect at 2/3 dose or a full one.

Calathea

What do people think of the look of this MRM Vegan Bone Maximizer? (I'm vegan.) Right now I'm taking calcium citrate, magnesium malate, chelated magnesium, Life Extension Trace Minerals, and Vitashine D3. This looks like it would replace most of them, I'd just need to top up some of the magnesium, and hopefully I wouldn't get nausea as I often do with taking all that zinc at once with the LEF Trace Minerals. But would it be good forms of everything? I definitely need to avoid antacids and laxatives, which is why I was on calcium citrate, and am nervous about the asptartate business.