• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

best absorbed magnesium

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Does it cause stomach ache that way or just not absorbed well on an empty stomach?

From memory, I tolerated it better on a full stomach. I got very loose bowel movements and agitated stomach on just a fairly small dosage, so i cut right back and built it up. Fortunately I could build it up quite quickly. I think with food slows down the absorption or even lowers it, so there is not so much stress on the stomach. I might add, almost everyone has trouble with magnesium, (similarly with zinc) but if you start off small you should be right.

JT1024

I take magnesium malate and magnesium threonate. I did notice a difference with the magnesium threonate at the beginning but like other meds, once you have a benefit, you don't realize what it did until you run out.

The magnesium malate is great for muscle spasms but you have to be careful not to take too much. It is not pretty.

anne_likes_red

I take magnesium malate and magnesium threonate. I did notice a difference with the magnesium threonate at the beginning but like other meds, once you have a benefit, you don't realize what it did until you run out.

The magnesium malate is great for muscle spasms but you have to be careful not to take too much. It is not pretty.

I've also been taking the mg threonate, Life Extension brand 1 x per day. I've been taking it for 3 weeks. I noticed a slight calming, focussing effect. The effect hasn't worn off yet, though I'm not so aware of it as I was at first. Not alertness like Sally experienced. So I guess that tells us people react differently to it.
HTH someone? :)

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
ve also been taking the mg threonate, Life Extension brand 1 x per day. I've been taking it for 3 weeks. I noticed a slight calming, focussing effect. The effect hasn't worn off yet, though I'm not so aware of it as I was at first. Not alertness like Sally experienced. So I guess that tells us people react differently to it.

Yes, I was very alert, but most people really like it. I am glad it works for you!

undcvr

adreno where did you read that Mg orotate causes liver cancer in rats ? That is the first I have ever heard of it. I think Mg orotate is the best form of Mg but only because Hans Neiper did some research into it and it is supposed to be the exact form of the enzyme itself that the body uses. It is somewhere on a website called delano report. Mg Theronate is supposedly developed by a bunch of pple at MIT in Boston, MA and it is suppose to readily cross into the spinal fluid. That would mean that it would cross the BBB too.

One thing I noticed from taking Mg Orotate from Day 1 is that it does not cause any diarrhea. Other forms of Mg do, MgSO4 or even prune juice. This would suggest that the dissociation constants for these other Mg forms are very low and in the stomach and the gut the Mg compound readily breaks up into its respective ions. No telling what the body does with them or where they go in the body this form.

Lotus97

I've tried it. I took it along with GABA and Melatonin and it did seem to improve my sleep quality. Even though I was taking the other things, I think it was the ZMA that made a difference. I tried taking the ingredients separately to save money and used nearly the exact proportions of B6, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Aspartate, and Zinc Monomethionine (OptiZinc), but I didn't get the same results. There have been a lot of things going during the past 3-4 months when I was trying out those supplements so I can't be sure that the ZMA worked better than taking than taking them separately.

Does anyone know why they say to take ZMA on an empty stomach? Is this for Magnesium absorption or Zinc absorption or both? Does that mean magnesium and/or minerals are absorbed better on an empty stomach? I would rather not take capsules on an empty stomach, but I tried emptying out the capsules into water and it tasted godawful.

Also, why does it say not to take it with Calcium supplements? Do they compete for absorption? If so, should we always take Calcium and Magnesium at separate times?

I stopped taking them after I read that Aspartic Acid is bad, but I hope Adreno is correct. This from a supplement manufacturer so perhaps it's biased, but it's worth considering:

L-Aspartic Acid is important in the metabolism and construction of other amino acids and biochemicals in the citric acid cycle. Among the biochemicals that are synthesized from Aspartic Acid are asparagine, arginine, lysine, methionine, threonine, isoleucine, and several nucleotides.
It is needed for stamina, brain and neural health and assists the liver by removing excess toxic ammonia, (a byproduct of the breakdown of muscle tissue caused by strenuous exercise) and other toxins from the bloodstream. Aspartic Acid is also very important in the functioning of RNA, DNA, as well as in the production of immunoglobulin and antibody synthesis. Deficiency symptoms may include fatigue and depression. It is found in dairy, beef, poultry, and sprouting seeds.

Lotus97

Anyone know what type of magnesium is in ConcenTrace? I was thinking it would be Magnesium Chloride since it's from mineral salts, but don't quote me on that.

Anyone know what type of magnesium is in ConcenTrace? I was thinking it would be Magnesium Chloride since it's from mineral salts, but don't quote me on that.

A complete list of minerals and trace minerals present in ConcenTrace®:
Antimony, Barium, Beryllium, Bismuth, Boron, Bromine, Cadmium, Calcium, Carbonate, Cerium, Cesium, Chloride, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Dysprosium, Erbium, Europium, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Gold, Hafnium, Holmium, Indium, Iodine, Iridium, Iron, Lanthanum, Lead, Lithium, Lutetium, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Neodymium, Nickel, Niobium, Osmium, Palladium, Phosphorus, Platinum, Potassium, Praseodymium, Rhenium, Rhodium, Rubidium, Ruthenium, Samarium, Scandium, Selenium, Silicon, Silver, Sodium, Strontium, Sulfate/Sulfur, Tantalum, Tellurium, Terbium ,Thallium, Thorium, Thulium, Tin, Titanium, Tungsten, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zinc, Zirconium, plus other naturally occurring trace minerals found in seawater.

This is the info off the ReMag websight: for thoes who may be interested in what ReMag is about. I am simply trying to point out that this is a different sort of magnesium product that does not entertain the usual symptomes of consuming an oral magnesium supplement such as stomach cramps or diarea.

As some of you see my attempts to inform the puplic about a new form of magnesium as a sales tactic that is unfortunate, but this is about a revolutionary new form of magnesium supplement that is absorbed imediately into the blood stream and does not go through the usual digestion process that other oral magnesium supplements do (which cause diarea and cramping) However Note: this magnesium supplement does not cause any diarea, yes you have to start out at a smaller dose then perhaps is recomended as there is a considerable sedative effect when taking this magnesium supplement. Because it is absorbed directly into the blood stream it goes to work imediately and not slowly like a magnesium supplement which must be digested. The sedative effect is much more noticable. The sedative effect will go away in about 10 days based on my experience with this product.

See below for more info about magnesium and ReMag: This is what Dr. Carolyn Dean has to say about magnesium and ReMag

Magnesium is a necessary cofactor for over 325 enzymes that perform vital metabolic functions in the body. It’s a simple mineral that prevents and treats
ReMag.jpg
diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, migraines, heart disease, osteoporosis, anxiety, insomnia, and a dozen other serious health conditions.
I’ve just listed many chronic conditions that people are suffering today, yet has your doctor ever told you to take magnesium? Probably not. That’s because nutrient therapy is not taught in medical school. Magnesium is not regarded as a first-line therapeutic agent in hospitals or doctor’s offices and it’s not a patentable drug. For all these reasons, mainstream medicine remains blind to the extent of magnesium deficiency that is reported to be present in 70-80 percent of the population.
In the past few years physicists have determined that the mineral ion channels that are the gateways through which minerals enter cells are only 400-500 picometers in diameter.
Ion channels are composed of proteins that form pores through a cell membrane. These specialized proteins help establish and control the voltage traveling across the cell membranes by allowing ions to flow along a particular gradient. That may not make a lot of sense to you but these ion channels are crucial components of the membranes that surround all biological cells.
If minerals don’t properly get inside cells, because they are too large, then non-mineralized water floods into the cells and the large-sized minerals stay outside. All forms of edema, including brain edema, are caused by fluid and electrolyte imbalance at the cellular level.
Pico-Ionic minerals are small enough to directly enter into cells bringing the minerals where they are most needed. Inside the cell, minerals are responsible for the 70-90 millivolts of energy that creates intracellular communication.A body can only be as healthy as its cells.
Another important aspect about Pico-Ionic minerals is that people who suffer from IBS-diarrhea, Crohn’s and colitis can use Pico-Ionic magnesium without causing a laxative effect.
Magnesium has a wonderful failsafe mechanism that prevents it from building up in the body – the laxative effect. What’s not absorbed into the bloodstream and into the cells after a dose of magnesium goes through the kidneys into the urine and also through the intestines as loose stool. Some people find that any form of magnesium in pills or powder can cause an immediate laxative effect. This means you can’t get enough magnesium into your blood and cells to effectively fight your magnesium deficiency symptoms before it explodes out the other end!! Even the Pico-Ionic form of magnesium will cause this effect, but only ifyou take very large doses.

Pico-Ionic Magnesium
Magnesium chloride is the base mineral compound used to make ReMag. Magnesium chloride is a mineral salt crystal in its dry state and breaks down into magnesium ions and chloride ions when dissolved and dispersed in liquid. That’s usually all it takes to create ions. Ions only represent the electrical charge of a mineral.
The Pico-Ionic form is 50,000 ppm and comes in 8oz. bottles at an average daily dosage of 250mg per 4mls (1 tsp = 5 ml). This may seem to be a low dose, however, since it’s 100% absorbed at the cellular level, a smaller amount can go a long way.
There is a long glass dropper in each bottle of ReMag. You can use the dropper or take out the dropper and pour out the amount your want into a measuring spoon (½ tsp twice a day) and put it in a few ounces of water or juice or smoothies.
Warning: You can swish ReMag in an ounce of water around in your mouth for healthy gums – but only if you have no mercury fillings in your teeth.

As of 2012 there is a new magnesium supplement on the market (patented) called ReMag which I have been taking for more than a month now, It is an oral supplement, it does not cause diarea and is 100% absorbed. http://www.rnadrops.info/products/remag it contains concentrace from the great salt lake as well as magnesium.

And here is Dr. Carolyn Dean http://drcarolyndean.com/

For the first time I have found a magnesium supplement that allows me to take an oral form of magnesium, which provides enough elemental magnesium to help replenish the magnesium stores in my body which has been leached out by the various meds I've been taking over the years, add into this my poor diet which has been primarily processed foods which in the processing of these foods removes as musch as 80% of the magnesium normally found in a particular food, And then you have the farming practices that have not replenished the trace minerals in the soils so as a result of these farms for profit the foods we eat today a deficeicient of magnesium this all adds up to a magnesium deficeiciency in the general population.

Also of note in this conversation the FDA Recomended Daily Allowance is based on an average of what everybody needs to stay healthy, but this RDA doesn't account for the fact that we are unable to absorb enough magnesium through a healthy diet to meet the RDA. It does'nt accout for the stress in our lives which leaches magnesium from our bodies or the drugs we take which are very stressful and leach out of our systems magnesium.

We all have seen the comercials on TV stating that Calcium builds strong bones but do you ever hear anything in main stream media about how magnesium is just as esential for making strong bones as calcium.

I did an imformal survey of the multivitamins available in 4 stores near where I live, Riteaid, walgreens, albertsons and safeway foods and in every case when I looked at the amounts and kind of magnesium and calcium that were listed on the label every single multivitamin used calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide both of these forms of calcium and magnesium are not well absorbed and are the cheepest forms of magnesium and calcium available. They are not doing us any favors here it's like eating chalk.

Even the cat and dog food we feed our loving pets most likely uses calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide, as most people never even think to look at the labels on these pet foods or even know what to look for, to see what ingredients are used all you have to do is look and you will see a label on the container of cat food or dog food.

We need to supplement out intake of magnesium as we are unable to obtain enough magnesium through our diets, Dr. Carolyn Dean has been studting magnesium for over 40 years, we have as a result of this magnesium deficeiciency we are experiencing many cronic diseases today.

Pharmaceutical drugs some of which have an active flouride component (prozac, paxil) when injested cause magnesium to flood the blood stream supposedly to detoxify the drug, as a result this magnesium in the blood is filtered out of our systems by our kidneys. We keep taking these drugs and over time all of our bodies stores of magnesium are depleted and then you begin to feel the drug side effect.

The pharmaceutical industry knows this as a resercher working for them explained this to them and they never told the public about this.

Much of the information above is in Dr. Carolyn Dean's book (the Magnesium Miracle) you can find it at amazon, because of the 100% absorbability of ReMag I am supplementing with ReMag 1000mg. magnesium a day with no ill effects (no diarea).
This has helped with my headaches, back pain, depression, anxiety, nerve pain from damaged nerves in the back and more.

I don't expect you to take my word for all of the above including the amount of ReMag I am taking daily, do your own research, read DR. Dean's book as mentioned above check out ReMag for yourself, please do your research read what other researchers are saying about magnesium. Check out Dr. Carolyn Dean's web sight, This is how we learn, Watch the Documentary
(The Marketing of Madness).

I am not a doctor, I have done a lot of reading (research) into magnesium, personally I was in extreme withdrawal while tapering off of gabapentin (prescribed for depression) I had been taking 2400 mg. gabapentin at bedtime for over 10 years, so much so I was convinced I would never be able to stop taking gabapentin I had tried for nearly a year to wean myself off of gabapentin with no success, my doctor was no help what so ever, she knew and didn't tell me about the potential for withdrawal while tapering off of gabapentin, she made no effort in any way of suggestions as to how I might lesson the severity of the withdrawal, finally

I realized I needed to do my own research into gabapentin withdrawal and began to read the gabapentin withdrawal forums, out of the hundreds of posts I read finelly someone mentioned they were able to use a magnesium supplement to help lesson the severity of the withdrawal and since I was desperate to stop taking gabapentin I tried a magnesium supplement which I allready had available in my home, Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) I allready knew that magnesium sulfate was infused in to the body through the skin while soaking in a solution or epsom salts so I began taking 2 -20 minuite soakes a day with about 3 cups of epsom salts in a ful bathtub of hot water, I added a 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salts to 4 oz. glass of water and swished the soulution around in my mouth like a mouth wash for about 15 seconds and then spit it out (don't swallow or you will get diarea) untill the solution was completely gone, I did this 4 times a day in addition to the 2 soakes as mentioned above and within 48 hours of initiating this home treatment my withdrawal symptomes were completely gone.

I wish you all well.

kurt

I've tried all the types of magnesium mentioned here I think at some time. The problem is that absorption can be too much and too fast, and come with other elements that cause trouble (remembering Epsom Salts baths overloading my sulfer pathways, I have low slufatization).

The best mag form by FAR that I have used is magnesium chloride. This just seems to help everything, I use Alta brand tablets.

This is not uncommon with magnesium, your body may be starved for magnesium and you give it a taste of magnesium and it wants more and your body has a strong reaction to the magnesium also it is sedating so when first taking magnesium make sure you can set some time aside as you will want to take a nap, once your body gets used to the magnesium the sedation will go away in a week or 2. Start out with a small amount 25 mg. or 50 mg. And let your body tell you when you'v had enough.

This is an esential mineral and magnesium oil for thoes who have a reaction to the oral magnesium supplements has proven effective magnesium oil (magnesium chloride) is a transdermal (through the skin) magnesium supplement and people have foumd this to be more tolerable than many of the oral supplements.

When I started taking a magnesium supplement for about the first 10 days I was only absorbing maybe 25 mg to 50 mg. per day but even this small amount when absorbed through the skin which goes directly into the blood stream can make a big difference.

In the movie "The Marketing of madness" They discuss Teen Screen a new government program where schools are without the concent of parents are screening children for mental health services and putting the children on antidepressents like prozac and paxil and other antidepressents. With an 84% error rate of diagnosis and the fact that once these children start taking these drugs the suicide rate goies up in the children who are on these drugs. Also once these young children start taking these drugs they will in all likely hood continue to take them for the rest of their lives as they are very addictive and 20% to 40% will have such a (god awful) withdrawal even if they want to quit they wont be able to with out getting some help. If you as a parent don't sign the consent form for Teen Screen they wil do the screening any way. This is called pasive concent. This is going on right now in our schools.

Lotus97

As of 2012 there is a new magnesium supplement on the market (patented) called ReMag which I have been taking for more than a month now, It is an oral supplement, it does not cause diarea and is 100% absorbed. http://www.rnadrops.info/products/remag it contains concentrace from the great salt lake as well as magnesium.

Much of the information above is in Dr. Carolyn Dean's book (the Magnesium Miracle) you can find it at amazon, because of the 100% absorbability of ReMag I am supplementing with ReMag 1000mg. magnesium a day with no ill effects (no diarrhea).
This has helped with my headaches, back pain, depression, anxiety, nerve pain from damaged nerves in the back and more.

I don't expect you to take my word for all of the above including the amount of ReMag I am taking daily, do your own research, read DR. Dean's book as mentioned above check out ReMag for yourself, please do your research. Check out Dr. Carolyn Dean's web sight, This is how we learn, Watch the Documentary
(The Marketing of Madness).
I've heard good things about magnesium chloride, but to be honest it sounds like you're selling something. Different people respond differently to different forms of magnesium. Also, ConcenTrace is being sold for a lot cheaper at many different online retailers. I'm using ConcenTrace along with other forms of magnesium and so far it doesn't seem any better than other forms I've tried. And on the ConcenTrace bottle it says higher doses can have a laxative effect. I have a hard time believing that the product you're promoting is any different.

In the movie "The Marketing of madness" They discuss Teen Screen a new government program where schools are without the concent of parents are screening children for mental health services and putting the children on antidepressents like prozac and paxil and other antidepressents. With an 84% error rate of diagnosis and the fact that once these children start taking these drugs the suicide rate goies up in the children who are on these drugs. Also once these young children start taking these drugs they will in all likely hood continue to take them for the rest of their lives as they are very addictive and 20% to 40% will have such a (god awful) withdrawal even if they want to quit they wont be able to with out getting some help. If you as a parent don't sign the consent form for Teen Screen they wil do the screening any way. This is called pasive concent. This is going on right now in our schools.
We can debate the causes of mental illness all day, but the fact of the matter is that mental illness is severely underdiagnosed so this government program would be an anomaly. Yes, ADD/ADHD tends to be overdiagnosed in some instances, but mostly only when it manifests externally such as hyperactivity. I've heard of a lot of people finding relief from non-prescription alternatives, but I know that for many people prescription drugs are a necessity. And where do you get the "84% error rate" from?

I've heard good things about magnesium chloride, but to be honest it sounds like you're selling something. Different people respond differently to different forms of magnesium. Also, ConcenTrace is being sold for a lot cheaper at many different online retailers. I'm using ConcenTrace along with other forms of magnesium and so far it doesn't seem any better than other forms I've tried. And on the ConcenTrace bottle it says higher doses can have a laxative effect. I have a hard time believing that the product you're promoting is any different.

We can debate the causes of mental illness all day, but the fact of the matter is that mental illness is severely underdiagnosed so this government program would be an anomaly. Yes, ADD/ADHD tends to be overdiagnosed in some instances, but mostly only when it manifests externally such as hyperactivity. I've heard of a lot of people finding relief from non-prescription alternatives, but I know that for many people prescription drugs are a necessity. And where do you get the "84% error rate" from?

It's good to be skeptical I am doing nothing more than any one else has done on this forum and that is to make a suggestion about what I think is the best magnesium supplement. the rest is up to each individual to choose from the different supplements suggested on this forum.

As far as the government program Teen Screen, again each individual has the right to look at the evidence and consider carefully the ramifications of having their childrem labeled mentally ill without their (parental concent) because of a questionair which has an error rate of 84% and as a consequence of this label the children are being sent to see a shrink and the children are given an antidepressent. Does this make any sense to anybody?

Parents have the right to informed concent in writing when it concerns their childrens health care! There is no implied concent.

Lotus97 said:

Robertpcx said:

This information about the 84% error rate in the Teen Screen program is from the movie "The marketing of Madness" watch the movie. It's available on youtube. An other good movie to watch is "Doctored" out on DVD.

I am not a dotor I am merely relating my personal experiences here.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Here is something I found on Spectracells website. It is under their "Clinical Education Center" and the particular one I was looking at was under the "Handouts" section > Click here to See entire list > MNT Handouts. It is a pdf of many medications and which nutrients that they can have an effect on. As a matter of fact the whole section has some good stuff in it.

They do offer some rare "physician ordered" test that are highly thought of on some other forums I know. I know nothing about pricing, but they packed their website with a lot of substantial information. There is some that may be controversial, while it may be just what another person needs.

http://www.spectracell.com/online-library-references/

In an earlier post I misquoted some infor: See below,
"As of 2012 there is a new magnesium supplement on the market (patented) called ReMag which I have been taking for more than a month now, It is an oral supplement, it does not cause diarea and is 100% absorbed. it contains concentrace from the great salt lake as well as magnesium."
This magnesium supplement is not patented. It contains ionic trace not concentrace which is a different product.

This is a "Quote from Dr. Carolyn Dean's "Pico ionic mag"

"Pico-Ionic Magnesium"
Pico--‐Ionic Magnesium is a form of magnesium that’s small enough in size that it is fully absorbed at the cellular level and is ionically charged to allow it to be attracted to the cells that require it. It has no laxative effect. Here’s a quote from Joseph B. Marion'sAnti-Aging Manual
(1999) “Most minerals (from food) are 8--‐12% absorbable, chelated minerals are 40% absorbable, and liquid Angstrom minerals are 99% absorbable, being 7,000 times smaller than Red blood cells, 1 Million times smaller than a colloidal mineral, smaller than ionic, with negative--‐charge for added absorption.”

chilove

I use the magnesium oil because I have digestion issues and always prefer to go the transdermal route when I can.