New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Berberine is toxic to the miotochondria

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Gondwanaland, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

It is a mitotoxin

2. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Thank you @Gondwanaland , I know someone that takes it so I was going to check it out. Anything I take Has to leave my mitos alone, or even better, make them better. I'm not really sure what berberine is taken for, I got the impression it was like an antibiotic?

Edit, just re-read that post and it said chemo-ic? Ugh! I see the "quino" in the description, that's enough for me.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  3. Gondwanaland

Yes very popular antibiotic and anti-diabetic

4. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Anti-diabetic? That's interesting. Want to know something else interesting? I found an article or something on the net about they're combining Cipro with berberine. It never ends.

5. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Thanks @Gondwanaland for posting this, more people need to have this knowledge.:) I have been taking berberine for 4-5 months at 4-500mg a day, for sibo/dysbiosis.

I just stopped taking it a couple of days ago because I had been feeling much more tired than usual and I knew it might interfere with the mito.

I can't tell yet if I feel better from stopping it, it might take a few days or more to see. If I see a significant improvement in my health, I will definitely post that info.

Jim

sb4 and Paralee like this.
  6. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Candibactin treatment for SIBO made me very fatigued and more unwell, contains Berberine... felt much better within a week or 2 of stopping.

ljimbo423 likes this.
  7. adreno

adreno PR activist

Many herbal alkaloids probably are. Likely not a problem if used short term. It's probably part of their mechanism against pathogens. I wouldn't worry about it.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  8. Gondwanaland

:eek:

Chocolove and Paralee like this.
  9. perrier

perrier Senior Member

Is this what is called Burbur?

10. Gondwanaland

I only know the names Barberry and Berberis for it
    As anti-microbial it is indeed supposed to be used on short few rounds but as anti-diabetic is has been promoted to be used continuously :cautious:

Chocolove likes this.
  11. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Burbur from Nutramedix is Desmodium molliculum. Used for detox in Cowden's protocole for Lyme disease.

perrier likes this.
  12. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Interestingly, in traditional Chinese herbalism, it is warned that the 3 berberine-containing herbs (huang lian, huang qin, and huang bai) should not be taken long-term.

Chocolove, Paralee and Gondwanaland like this.
  13. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

I had a near remission (or at least the closest I've been to "normal" since becoming sick) in 2014. My doctor suggested I take berberine to address sibo (which I felt was the remaining piece of the puzzle to full health). In 2015 berberine permanently worsened my health. I have tried for years to fix my gut after the damage from berberine and I've never been able to get back to my pre-berberine levels.

Chocolove and Gondwanaland like this.
  14. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Berberine can cause damage to the mucus membranes. It might be beneficial to take nutrients that heal the gut's mucosal lining, such as lecithin, glutamine, n-acetyl glucosamine, GLA, etc.

SB_1108 and Gondwanaland like this.
  15. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

Tried it - didn't work. Now I'm trying HBOT to see if that will help. But thank you for the suggestions - keep them coming! I will try anything! :)

16. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    According to Wikipedia it's a protoberepine group of benzylisoquinoline alkaloids. Quinline, quinolone, whatever, if it has quin in it I run for the hills. Probably from ignorance on my part, but quins scare me and will from now on.

Berberine is supposed to be able to damage mitochondria, just like the fluoroquinolones. Now they're combining the two.

17. frederic83

frederic83 Senior Member

France
    What did help you before the berberine experiment ? You say you were quite good. A supplement, drug, or just time ?

18. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

An herbal antibiotic called Uva Ursi.

However the year before trying Uva Ursi I had addressed vitamin/mineral imbalances and dysbiosis and I felt like that gave me the boost I needed for the Uva Ursi to help. Berberine seems to have reversed all of the prior benefits.

frederic83 likes this.
  19. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    What is Uva Ursi supposed to help? I've heard of it before.

20. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

SIBO and dybiosis

Paralee likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.