• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bentonite Clay and acacia fiber shake

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I've on a fairly strict candida diet. I have IBS-C Which means they I need fiber but I cramp and bloat when I eat it. What I learned on IBS boards is to eat soluble fiber first to "coat" the stomach then eat the veggies. Well I can't do that with a Candida diet.

Anyone done this?

THE FIBER/BENTONITE SHAKE
A popular drink among cleansers is the fiber and bentonite shake. This is a detox drink designed to remove toxins from your gut. The fiber supplement gets your digestive system moving and scrapes clean the walls of your gut, while the super-absorbent bentonite clay sucks up any toxins sitting in your intestines and carries them safely out of your body.

For the fiber supplement, there are several different options. Psyllium husk is very effective, but can be quite harsh on the intestines for those who suffer from Leaky Gut Syndrome. Other good alternatives are Acacia Powder and Pure Apple Fiber. I especially like Fiber-3 by NOW Foods – it contains soluble fiber from Golden Flax Meal and Acacia, plus Inulin as a prebiotic.

Regular Bentonite clay doesn’t mix well with water so buy it in liquid form, like Great Plains Bentonite. This will make the detox drink a lot easier to get down. Add it to your fiber supplement and shake up the mixture for a few seconds, then quickly drink it before it settles. Drink another extra large glass of water immediately after. Both these ingredients are great for detox. The Bentonite clay soaks up toxins, and the fiber pushes waste matter out through your colon.

RECIPE: FIBER/BENTONITE SHAKE
1 large cup water
1 flat Tbsp. fiber supplement
1 flat Tbsp. liquid Bentonite Clay

This detox drink should be taken on an empty stomach, so don’t eat anything for an hour before and after you drink it. The easiest times are usually first thing in the morning, in the afternoon, and a couple of hours before bedtime. You can drink it 2-3 times each day.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Yeah. My concern is it will have a constipating effect which I don't need. I read low doses work. Still tossing it around

South

@minkeygirl I don't have M.E. but have longstanding candida-like symptoms of the digestive tract, and IBS-C.

There are two sort of categories of fiber, soluble and insoluble. Acacia is soluble fiber.

Some people with IBS-C, who have slow motility of the upper GI tract, do worse if they increase their soluble fiber intake - in the short term anyway. Key word might be "in the short term", because sometimes that same person, if diligent about very slowly increasing soluble fiber from just a tiny bit at the beginning, improves. A theory there is that the probiotics in the gut that can utilize the soluble fiber are slowly increasing in numbers.

Anyway, I've made the mistake of suddenly using a spoonful of soluble fiber in water, when I hadn't used any in months, and just that one spoonful dose made me more bloated and more constipated for days afterwards. At other times in my life, if I've slowly increased soluble fiber (very slowly, and mixed in liquids each time), I've been able to work my up to a modest dose without getting worse constipation, and maybe got slightly bulkier stools as a benefit.

That's as far as I've gotten with soluble fiber alone.

Clay / bentonite mixed with soluble fiber in water: I only did a few experiments with that in my life, and each time was too enthuiastic with it by starting out with full spoonfuls, got worse bloating and constipation. Moral of the story is, start with very little, and go slow! I'd like to try again sometime.

Insoluble fiber: my impression is that most people with IBS-C do MUCH better if they add insoluble fiber, *as long as it doesn't cause any pain or irritation*. You'd know if it caused pain or irritation in the first 12 hours of your first dose of it. It helps me personally with bowel movements, and doesn't cause me any problems.

Clay mixed with insoluble fiber: so far this mix doesn't seem to do anything for me that juse plain insoluble doesn't do, so I don't do this combo much.

Insoluble fiber is harder to get by itself than soluble fiber is. Insoluble is rich in wheat bran (but not oat bran). It is in brown rice, but for some reason rice bran sold alone doesn't seem to have much, not sure why. It is in certain hemp protein fiber powders. It is about 2/3 of the fiber found in flax seeds, with the rest of the flax seed's fiber being soluble fiber. So flax seed meal is a mixed bag for IBS-C. The only other decent source of isolated insoluble fiber I've found is plain cellulose, which is a powder that amazon and iherb sell.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Ema I'll check it out. I started diatomaceous earth with acacia fiber this morning (I had both) and it felt pretty good after I drank it. I'll stick with that for now, although it doesn't remove the dead critters, which is the entire point @South, once it's dead which is what the clay does.

Cleanse is the operative word.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Ema saw this so not sure.

Taking Clay with Natural Vitamins and Food Sources
Taking pyrophyllite clay with natural remedies actually enhances their mineral absorption due to the presence of amorphous silica in the clay. While natural supplements are not recommended in combination with a bentonite clay due to a concern over drawing beneficial nutrients from the body, an amorphous silica clay (as opposed to a quartz silica clay) makes other nutrients more bioavailable. The orthosilicic acids formed out of the amorphous silica are also used by the body to slow the aging process.

Taking Clay with Pharmaceutical Drugs
Internal consumption of the clay is not recommended if you are on a pharmaceutical drug that requires residual amounts to remain in your system in order to be effective. This is particularly true of anti-depressant drugs. Drugs are typically polarized positive, are highly acidic, and often contain heavy metals like mercury for sterilization purposes or aluminum for immune stimulant purposes. The negatively polarized clay electro-magnetically pulls positively polarized chemicals and heavy metals to itself and out of the body. In cases of drug overdose or chemical ingestion however, hospitals frequently use clay or activated charcoal to absorb the chemicals and drug overdose.

Due to the powerful drawing action of pyrophyllite clay, it is best not taken internally within 3 hours after drug intake. For those on pharmaceutical drugs, clay baths are generally preferable to internal clay consumption.

If you are on antidepressant drugs or other drugs that require residual amounts in your system to be effective, it is better to not take the clay at all internally. The clay will tend to absorb the residual amounts of the drug in your system and could result in withdrawal reactions from the drugs.

Ema

@Ema saw this so not sure.

Taking Clay with Natural Vitamins and Food Sources
Taking pyrophyllite clay with natural remedies actually enhances their mineral absorption due to the presence of amorphous silica in the clay. While natural supplements are not recommended in combination with a bentonite clay due to a concern over drawing beneficial nutrients from the body, an amorphous silica clay (as opposed to a quartz silica clay) makes other nutrients more bioavailable. The orthosilicic acids formed out of the amorphous silica are also used by the body to slow the aging process.

Taking Clay with Pharmaceutical Drugs
Internal consumption of the clay is not recommended if you are on a pharmaceutical drug that requires residual amounts to remain in your system in order to be effective. This is particularly true of anti-depressant drugs. Drugs are typically polarized positive, are highly acidic, and often contain heavy metals like mercury for sterilization purposes or aluminum for immune stimulant purposes. The negatively polarized clay electro-magnetically pulls positively polarized chemicals and heavy metals to itself and out of the body. In cases of drug overdose or chemical ingestion however, hospitals frequently use clay or activated charcoal to absorb the chemicals and drug overdose.

Due to the powerful drawing action of pyrophyllite clay, it is best not taken internally within 3 hours after drug intake. For those on pharmaceutical drugs, clay baths are generally preferable to internal clay consumption.

If you are on antidepressant drugs or other drugs that require residual amounts in your system to be effective, it is better to not take the clay at all internally. The clay will tend to absorb the residual amounts of the drug in your system and could result in withdrawal reactions from the drugs.
That's true of all clays and binders though...