Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Benefits Of Hydrogen Sulfide: It Protects Mitochondria, Counters Free Radicals, Increases Longevity

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Hip, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

After the theory that hydrogen sulfide (H2S) might be a cause of ME/CFS, some research published in the last few years indicates that very low doses of hydrogen sulfide can protect mitochondria and prevent mitochondrial DNA damage.

And a new compound called AP39 has been developed which is a mitochondrially-targeted H2S donor. Via its generation of H2S, AP39 exerts a protective effect on mitochondria.

Some excerpts from articles about the benefits of hydrogen sulfide and AP39 are given below:

Foods that generate H2S include garlic and onions. This study found that hydrogen sulfide is produced by red blood cells from garlic-derived organic polysulfides.

picante, zzz and anne_likes_red like this.

See more popular forum discussions.