• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ben and Claire's adventure to Davis-Dafoe land!

boohealth

@TreePerson @ Ben Howell

I have exactly the same questions. I have tried to talk to my GP about blood volume but he has no knowledge about how it can be measured. I have read of a Daxor machine but don't know if we have one in the UK, or any other way of measuring it. ( I think I did read something complicated once but cannot remember)

My GP actually said I would need to be cut and held upside down for the blood to run so it could be measured. I know- so insulting.

I have also asked about saline infusions and expanding blood volume. He told me I would need to be admitted to hospital if I were to have an infusion. He had no interest in whether this might help. No doubt cost would be expensive in a private hospital.

I have also become interested in the haemorrological properties of blood. Red blood cells should be pliable to get through narrow capillaries but ME patients' red blood cells might be stiff. ( Leslie Simpson)

Really thinking of help from saline though.

@ Ben Howell - please don't reply till you are feeling much better.

David Bell treated patients with IV saline. I think it's just an IV bag of isotonic saline. He even if I recall had one woman with a port, because she needed daily infusions to function.

Binkie4

@boohealth
Thank you for replying but I am in UK near London. I should have said that. I think Dr Bell is in NYC? Have I the right David Bell.
We have the NHS and then private medicine but I could do with someone in London or Surrey.

@Murph
Thank you for the links Murph.i remember an episode of ER many many years ago when Dr Ross hooked himself to saline to get over his hangover!! Am not sure I'll use that but it's useful info to quote at my gp or maybe to track down a doc. One near home, SW London, would be ideal.

boohealth

@Binkie4 I think he was upstate New York but there was enough reporting on it that his use could be a guideline. Its just isotonic saline. Doesn't require extensive tests.