• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Belfast Telegraph: Why it will take more than exercise and a positive attitude

John Mac

Yes Mary these are good stories of people with ME and some excellent posts at the bottom of the page giving the reader more background information of the illness. (no posts visible on the mobile version of the site though)

Sidereal

I recently did a six-week pain management programme at the City Hospital which I knew from the beginning wasn't a good thing for those with ME. I went to every session and even collapsed on one of my visits, I found it very hard but I will try anything if it might help. I tried to do the exercises which were prescribed but they made me feel even worse. Since that ended in September, I've felt as bad as I've ever done since I was diagnosed. This is a neurological illness not a mental illness so things like cognitive behavioural therapy and counselling don't help.

When I was diagnosed I was told by my consultant that this could leave me within weeks or it could stay with me for the rest of my life. All I can say is that I'm worse now than I have ever been and there's not a glimpse of anything that could help.

:(