• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beetroot juice for lactic acid in muscles

rosie26

I don't think my stomach would tolerate juice everyday either.

I love beetroot roasted ( I cook in tin foil in the oven, quarter or half them and sprinkle bit of salt over them) then eat with sour cream and chives !! Yum :)

Valentijn

Juicing really upsets my stomach and causes pain, vomiting and diarrhea. It seems too rich or dense somehow. Fruits, veges - all a disaster for me.

Beetroot I can eat in salads and cooked dishes so I'll pay more attention and see if I see any difference in muscle pain.
Same for me. I find juiced vegetables and fruits to be pretty sickening, no matter what's in it. It seems too sweet somehow, but in an "off" way. Definitely way too dense.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I wouldn't say my smoothies are just green - in fact, they look like a brown mess :D which I probably wouldn't consume if I didn't know all the goodness that I witnessed going into it! This is an example of one I had recently:
1 small apple
1 carrot
1 kiwi fruit (not too ripe)
blueberries
large handful of spinach leaves
1 leaf of kale (cavelo nero variety)
2 large Swiss chard leaves
2 celery stalks
half a small red onion
coriander
parsley
basil leaf or two
lemon juice
coconut water
2 spoons of coconut milk yoghurt

Sounds awful but funnily enough, nothing really overpowers everything else (but best to be careful with the kale - that can be very bitter). All the tastes come through but not very strongly, the overall taste is refreshing (due to the lemon juice) and slightly aromatic (due to the onion and herbs) and not too sweet (due to the apple being the only really sweet thing in it). I don't mind the taste - but of course, I have tasted better things in my life! We don't follow recipes but just chuck everything in.

I've finally plucked up the courage to include raw onion, having read your post, and you're right, it's actually quite pleasant! I had onion, celery, broccoli, cucumber, spinach, kale, parsley, ginger, apple, pear, strawberry, lemon and kiwi (13 things!). Maybe a bit heavier on the fruit than you're supposed to be (I've read to aim for 80/20 veg/fruit) but I must certainly be getting some nutrition down my neck. You're right - the lemon juice makes it refreshing and as long as there's a handful of each thing, no one thing dominates.