• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beetroot chips?

Gavman

Hi team,

Tom Bowen, who created Bowen Technique, believed that with kidney problems, raw beetroot was very useful in cleansing the kidneys (also assists the liver too). Raw beetroot was way too pungent and disgusting for me. Don't know if anyone else has had benefits?

Does anyone eat beetroot chips? And have they found it helpful?

ukxmrv

I used to drink beetroot juice but didn't notice any benefits to my health. Now I only eat boiled beetroot. Quite liked the juice but understand how others wouldn't. It was one of the few veges that I could tolerate juiced and raw that didn't give me stomach aches and problems.

When you say beetroot chips do you mean like wedges (i.e. boil beetroot, then slice in wedges and cook in the oven?)

ukxmrv

Ah ha! thanks Gavman. My husband eats them but he doesn't have ME. I'm not a fan of chips (or as we would say here in the UK crisps). Sorry.

peggy-sue

I have tried and tried to eat beetroot. Boiled, pickled, juiced - I can't get over how much it's like having a mouthfull of mud.

However, beetroot crisps are something else - they're gorgeous. I've had them in mixed bags along with carrot and parsnip crisps - the beetroot ones are the nicest of all three. They're horribly expensive though.

(over here, chips are what you call "fries" :) )

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
one of my previous docs use to recommend beetroot to help the liver, he use to say to eat tinned beetroot, 1/2 a tin a day. golden circle brand in australia, the type u put on hamburgers, yum!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have a thing for beets. YUM! :thumbsup: Raw, cooked, in borsht, in finely grated beet-carrot salad with some garlic and olive oil.

Now I'm hungry again.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
one of my previous docs use to recommend beetroot to help the liver, he use to say to eat tinned beetroot, 1/2 a tin a day. golden circle brand in australia, the type u put on hamburgers, yum!
I've never put beetroot on my hamburgers. Are the ones you use different from other tinned beetroots?

Calathea

I can't see chips/crisps being considered a health food in any form!

Preboiled beetroot is awful. Raw, fresh beetroot is an entirely different animal. When I was a student, I was known for my Vegan Vampire Soup. This was a blended soup made from onion, potato, carrot and beetroot.
with stock, salt, black pepper and a bit of nutmeg or mace. Delicious, nothing like that peculiar borscht, and very sustaining. I used to take it in a thermos when I had something exhausting to do, like essay all-nighters in the uni computer lab.

I have vague recollections of my uncle making a fabulous beetroot salad. I can't remember whether the beetroot was raw or whether he had personally boiled it (if you cook it yourself, it turns out much better than the soggy, rubbery preboiled stuff), but there were paper-thin slices of fresh garlic, extra virgin olive oil and fleur de sel. The garlic gave it quite a kick, but it was still amazing. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to tolerate raw garlic any more, but I am still tempted to mess around with this some time.

I do wish beetroot was less of a hassle to prepare, though. Muddy on the outside, bloody on the inside.

CJB

Jumpin' on the beet love :balloons: bandwagon here! My nephew put together three big wine barrel halves filled with potting soil and I've got two varieties of beets planted in them. Wish me luck. I just learned last year that I actually like beet greens. Beet, Kale and Walnut Salad - yum.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
When I was a student, I was known for my Vegan Vampire Soup. This was a blended soup made from onion, potato, carrot and beetroot. with stock, salt, black pepper and a bit of nutmeg or mace. Delicious, nothing like that peculiar borscht, and very sustaining. I used to take it in a thermos when I had something exhausting to do, like essay all-nighters in the uni computer lab.

That Vampire Soup sounds yummy. I will have to try it.

But I also love borscht, especially cold borscht in summer. I peel and slice the beets into bite size chunks, chop the beet greens and add those to the pot, cook them all, with finely chopped garlic, dill and sea salt, let it cool, and then add some goat yogurt and eat it cold. Delicious.

Calathea

So you do the best-known version which is a broth soup rather than a blended soup, and is sweet and sour?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
The cold borscht I make in summer is non-blended. It has little beet chunks and greens in the soup. And yes, it does have sort of a sweet and sour taste.

I also make a hot borscht in winter, cooking the beets and greens with mushrooms and onions in chicken broth. No yogurt in that one of course.

free at last

All salad veg, is very helpful to combat viral illness. not just beets. the brighter the colours the better quality they are. Im amazed so many patients talk like they are not eating vast amounts of this stuff. In a list i would say eat a tiny portion of everything you can find on plate. My list would include very deep red tomatoes. deep red peppers. radish, water cress, celery. avacado spinnach ( raw ) beetrot. olives. Raw Garlic. anything else you can find like kail. the redder the colour or deep greener the colour the better. Its wonder food. do not underestimate. how much it can build up the bodys defences. cleanse the body. detox it. strenghten the immune system. repair damaged cells. it can help do all this. For those that can not tolerate all this i have sympathy for. because it will likely be of greater benefit long term than chemical medication. unless you haver aids or cancer. i belive this to be 100% true.Those that can tolerate it all. try for about 6 months. then come back and tell me if the crashes seem a bit more under control. multiply that effect by 5years. if your illness can be improved. this is one option that in my opinion will likely out do chemical treatment. if the illness is not something that is not repairable by the body. like cancer for example. I have a feeling some will disagree with this. possibly saying theyve ate vast amounts for years without any effect. All i can say is that is rather strange as even HIV would benefit from this. cure it no. help control it with aids drugs you bet

Calathea

Well, I've been eating generous quantities of fresh vegetables and fruit for years without miraculously recovering from the ME. They're good for you, yes, but they don't magically hold the cure to a devastating neurological illness.

Gavman

Interesting idea, free at last. I believe that is quite important, also adds fibre and alot of nutrients that we're probably low in. When someone has leaky gut and malabsorption issues, sometimes certain vegetables/fruit go through them like a nuns first curry. And relatively i think for those with high B12 and folic acid, who are deficient in other areas, along with sensitivities - that it might cause more issues than it cures.

Calathea

Folks who have tried eating lots of fruit and veg, and then tried eating roughly the same amount of fruit and veg but mostly raw - have you found that eating more of the food raw makes a difference? I eat fruit raw, but I most often cook veg. I did go through a salad phase when I was losing weight last year. When I cook veg, I tend to cook them very lightly, e.g. stir-frying (though not at a terribly high heat), simmered briefly for miso soup (and I use the cooking water for the broth), that sort of thing. There are also some veg you can't eat raw anyway, such as potatoes or aubergines (eggplants).

Eating brightly coloured veg makes sense, although to be honest I think most veg have fabulous health qualities anyway. But why eat a tiny amount of everything at once? Surely getting a reasonable variety over the course of the day, and week, is enough?

Gavman

thats a good way to tell, Calathea.
Potatoes are like us irish, they're ok for you but they're alot of hard work and are very cheap.