Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Beet Juice? Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Strawberry, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    It seems all the threads I found were old, so I thought I would see if there are new results.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...=20160418Z1&et_cid=DM103315&et_rid=1447275151

So if you are using, or have used, beet juice, how do you prepare it? Raw? How about just eating cooked beets? I hadn't heard of this before, but my thigh fatigue is currently one of my worst symptoms. I will gladly add beets to my diet in one way or another (juicing takes far too much energy to make) if I could walk a block or two!

I want to hear from you if it helped you, or if it didn't help you. And does it work even if you don't juice?

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I love beets, but it turns out the claims are incorrect.;)

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/beetroots-dont-cure-cancer/

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    Thankfully I don't have cancer at the moment! @barbc56 do you feel the beets help your muscles (fatigue, burning) at all? That was more the angle I was after.

4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

No, it hasn't helped at all and in fact it's worse but I don't think that beet juice makes it worse. But Ive never had the juice but when I eat beets, it's enough to cause beeturia. Scared me the first time happened.

This article is somewhat misleading as the main theme is cancer. But the article also said there's not enough evidence that it helps any health situation.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Need to write a separate post. since time has passed.

Do you have the original study? Mercola has a reputation for misunderstanding/overhyping the results of a study and lack of information that may be pertainent to understanding the original study. Especially those studies where he likes the results. For example, he has been known for citing studies that are in a test tube and not explaining the limitations of a study.

Thanks, I'll also look. I'm writing on my IPhone and the spellcheck is not working l.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. JES

JES Senior Member

The effect on nitric oxide is the reason for the muscle increase and vasodilation, bodybuilders use nitric oxide boosting supplements as part of their training regime. You can get the same or probably better effect with other supplements though, one such supplement which a member had success with recently is discussed here.

7. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Beat juice may of helped me a bit. I was experimenting with different juicing combos a while back and one which had 4 different ingredients which included beet juice did help me some where as the other combos I tried didnt (though the improvement a bit could of been due to one of the other things in that combo).

See more popular forum discussions.