• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Been for gastroscopy for severe abdominal pain. Still starving and hungry

I did a proper baking soda/ burp test as suggested, days before the gastroscopy. This time I burped within 1 minute which means there are too much acid in the stomach. The funny thing is my stomach pain comes on the moment sips of water or a pinch of food enters. The gastroenterologist was dismissive when I told him about the hyperacidity.

After 2 weeks of agonizing wait, I finally went in for the gastroscopy today. However, the doctor couldn't see anything abnormal during the procedure. Now, the pain is excruciating the moment anything enters the mouth. I really wish to be intravenously fed for the rest of my life to escape from the punching stomach pain which goes all the way to the anus.

Does anyone know of a test on the stomach after swallowing food? The doc seems to be at a loss and probably thinks that I'm mental.

I'm still fuzzy & oozy from the after effects of the sedation this morning. Appreciate any
input. Thanks.

lucy

Did the doc take some specimen for culture exams? Did he investigate your swallowing muscles in action (some neck examination I suppose where an experienced eye can see if the things go up and down correctly). It is definetely strange that you have pain already upon anything entering the mouth - it could be something else that the stomac itself then, such irritation spreading to the nerves reporting false signals. Do you get the same pain if you immitate the movement of eating (such as open the mouth) and swallowing?

My abdominal pain (left upper quadrant, no official spleen enlargement) improves with fish oil which I attribute to anti-inflammatory action so my bowel is saved from the inflammatory stuff attacking it - but does not seem to be the case of relevance.

Thanks, Lucy. The doc took a tissue biopsy, but did not do the swallowing muscles thing. I was totally knocked out throughout the procedure by Midazolam & Diprivan. Today, just swallowing saliva is an agony. Each small spoonful
of food or liquid is like swallowing rocks which trigger pain all the way from stomach to rectum. Anyone who underwent gastroscopy procedure had similar reaction? I suppose the liver isn't getting enough nutrients and the brain not enough energy, esp sugar, to power the cells, that is why I'm feeling hungry all the time. Am taking high protein drinks as supplement. I was on VegEPA (Omega 3 & 6) for the past few months. Having ME/CFS is bad enough and now this added misery. On my next visit to the gastroenterologist, I'll gulp down a mouthful of water in his presence to show prove my point.

svetoslav80

Nothing useful to share but just to say I'm glad you don't have some awful stomach condition (the first thing I thought of when I read "severe abdominal pain"). At least I hope you don't but I guess so because they made you gastroscopy and found nothing. Please keep us updated if you feel worse/better/find what causes the pain.

Francelle

Gastroscopy should only be the starting point for investigation of your stomach/GI problems as Gastroscopy does not show functional abnormalities. For function you need to have things like Barium swallow, Oesophageal manometry, GES (Gastric Emptying Study) and EGG (Electrogastrogram).

Normal Gastroscopy, new symptom emerge

Initial viewing through gastroscope showed no abnormality. Doctor said he's baffled as to why my stomach acts like an hourglass; feeling overly 'full' with delayed emptying.
No ultrasound, tests or medication until biopsy report 2 weeks later.

Recently there is this annoying symptom whereby I tremble internally, sort of like undergoing 'cold turkey' treatment. Blood sugar is normal, feels like throwing things & screaming even though I do not feel angry or anxious. Could this be a sign of dehydration or neurotoxicity? During sleep, my body feels like an internal oven, but outwardly, I feel very cold- It's now winter where I live.

Anyone with similar experience? Thanks to all.

svetoslav80

Initial viewing through gastroscope showed no abnormality. Doctor said he's baffled as to why my stomach acts like an hourglass; feeling overly 'full' with delayed emptying.
No ultrasound, tests or medication until biopsy report 2 weeks later.

Recently there is this annoying symptom whereby I tremble internally, sort of like undergoing 'cold turkey' treatment. Blood sugar is normal, feels like throwing things & screaming even though I do not feel angry or anxious. Could this be a sign of dehydration or neurotoxicity? During sleep, my body feels like an internal oven, but outwardly, I feel very cold- It's now winter where I live.

Anyone with similar experience? Thanks to all.

Zuriel, do you mean you have chills? I always have them when I have some inflammation, and even if I have pain without inflammation proven. That's how my CFS began - I had acute prostatitis with cold chills (no temperature) which later became chronic. I had gastritis and I had chills in the acute phase. Yesterday it has became ulcer and I have chills again ... They usually disappear after 10-30 days, but they are definitely a sign that something is happening.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
ultra sound

Do you know why an ultra sound is not being done. I was having severe stomach pain whenever I ate food- I was down to eating ensure and ice cream. My bladder was also affected. They saw something on the ultra sound (full abdominal etc) and further tested with CT scan.