• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bedside Chats with Ben: Ron Davis

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
I'm so happy to post the first in our new series "Bedside Chats with Ben". I have long wanted to get more science from lots of different scientists on PR, and help patients have more contact with them.

The idea of this series is for Ben to have informal chats with various ME/CFS scientists and doctors so that patients can feel more connected to the research and get updates more often. It's intended to give you a more informal look into the research, the researchers, and the process.

I will be contacting various scientists and doctors and connecting them with Ben to set up a time for their chat. Lucinda Bateman has already agreed to do the next one!

Ben is bedridden and is pretty sick, so he will do this at a pace that works for him. He needs to be lying down in his bed, so he's set up his large monitor with Skype and some software to record it. We will post the chats on the OMF YouTube page in a playlist that will contain the whole series.

We apologize for the crackly sound on Ron's recording and we will work to figure out what caused it and fix it. I think it's still quite easy to understand in spite of the crackles.

I hope you enjoy this first chat, and the whole series.I hope lots of scientists and doctors agree to chat with Ben. I'm trying to decide who to call after Cindy Bateman. :)

Please give us feedback. I will attempt to get Ron to answer questions that will be posted on this thread, but there might be too many for us to handle. I promise I will do my best.

Enjoy!

Janet

Nickster

This interview series is a great idea! We (the sick/caretakers) get to be connected with our great medical community to keep us informed on discovering a cure for this disease.

Janet I am so glad that you put this together. Thank you!

Ron's interview was a great window into his daily work which includes frustrations and finding solutions to those frustrations. I had no idea that these issues happen on a daily basis. It makes me feel as if we are all working as a team (even though your doing all the work). Grateful for all your hard work!

We need to be a more positive society and encourage. Negativity and trolls suck.

Ben you have a jovial English accent. Now when I see your writing I will hear that jovial accent.

Love this!

Last edited:

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
This interview series is a great idea! We (the sick/caretakers) get to be connected with our great medical community to keep us informed on discovering a cure for this disease.

Janet I am so glad that you put this together. Thank you!

Ron's interview was a great window into his daily work which includes frustrations and finding solutions to those frustrations. I had no idea that these issues happen on a daily basis. It makes me feel as if we are all working as a team (even though your doing all the work). Grateful for all your hard work!

We need to be a more positive society and encourage. Negativity and trolls suck.

Ben you have a jovial English accent. Now when I see your writing I will hear that jovial accent.

Love this!

Yup, the fustrations are part of the scientific process for sure @Nickster :)

Jovial! Haha. Thanks!

On a serious note it was a real honour to be able to talk with Prof. Davis like this, truly one of a kind.

I'd also like to thank Janet and @AshleyHalcyoneH for their hard work on this too!

B

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Great idea--huge thanks to all involved--Dr. Ron Davis, @Ben H, @Janet Dafoe (Rose49), @AshleyHalcyoneH and anyone else involved. This is exactly what we need to keep our spirits up--actual information about the research and projects in the works that may lead to knowledge and healing. :thumbsup:

The heads-up on Suramin is certainly a needed caution as many are exploring possible sources of this drug. Learning that the version that may be on the market here and there, could have contaminants is very important.

Great that Dr. Bateman has agreed to participate in this series of informal interviews. Please keep them coming!

neweimear

I was so thrilled to hear that clinical trials may be happening soon. There are days I feel like I am dying, im sure I am not alone in that feeling. If there were just some drugs we could try that could help us, that would be so fantastic. We can keep working toward the cure but God if life could be a little easier, it would mean so much. Thank you all so much. The prospect of some relief brings tears to my eyes.

Jesse2233

Some thoughts while watching this...

- Can Ron validate the CellTrend / Scheibenbogen / Bergquist results using existing severely ill samples?

And perhaps add the Cunningham Panel? If those ABs hold up then that could be a strong diagnostic marker for a subset

- Does the impedience assay give off a stronger result when patients are in PEM?

Might it be tested with Drs Bonilla, Montoya, Kaufman, Chheda, Kolgelnik or another local doctor's patients?

Anyway to get one to Fluge / Mella to test on their RTX / CTX responders?