• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bedbound Sufferers and DVTs

Silence

I am currently in a very bad crash and have been in bed for months and was thinking to myself- am I at an increased risk for blood clots or DVTs? Why do people who are on planes get DVTs, They are only on a plane for a few hours to many hrs. This also reminds me of when i was in the hospital getting surgery and was completely bed bound and they had to put a compression machine on my legs pronto- i was in the hospital for 2 weeks. But Ive been in bed for months before and currently, and no sign watsoever of DVTs.

Should i ask my doctor for a machine or stockings?

Sandman00747

I would ask your doctor for compression stockings at least. People who get DVT's on planes usually get them right at the side or behind the knees. That often occurs from leaving the legs at the same bent angle for too long plus an unknown susceptibility. Risk factors that I know of are smoking, pregnancy, age, but mostly sitting for long periods in the same position. People who know they have a susceptibility to DVT's should at least take a baby aspirin every day. Many who have a known susceptibility often take low molecular weight heparin when they travel. But I would at least ask your doctor about compression stockings and/or taking a baby aspirin daily. And, even if your bedbound try to move your legs around as much as possible.

PennyIA

Yes, I'm high risk for DVTs and the plane involves small space where you can't really get up and wiggle or move around very much as well as the change in pressure with the take off and landing can cause clots. As can being in a car for a long road trip, or being bed bound (though surgery prior to being bed bound can make it a higher risk).

If you are able, big if with me/cfs... trying to remember to move your legs or flex your feet can also help... as can elevating your legs. Keeping hydrated is important as well. When I go on flights or long car rides I drink extra water which requires frequent rest stop needs, which helps with encouraging me to move.

If severe me/cfs patients were taken as seriously as they should be, the medical profession would want you to have those booties at home and recommend you wear them periodically (they rent them out and in fact, some people get them after knee/leg/hip surgery).

FWIW, some clotting risk factors are genetic, and quite common... so if you have a family history of clotting and are truly bed bound, you'll want to take it quite seriously. Prevention is about 1000 times better than reacting after you get one.

Cinders66

I'm in the long term bedridden group. I have only heard of 1 individual in the U.K. Commiunity with blood clots. I too have been given support stockings in hospital but no ones ever mentioned it for me at home, nor have I seen it in the small amount of literature I've read on severe ME. The book by the late Great Emily Collingidge on living with severe ME might discuss this, it's a severe ME bible anyway . I would discuss with your dr for expert opinion if you're worried but they aren't the nicest things either to wear or put on take off. If you're still getting up and walking a bit (I don't) that's a help

Tella

I'm in the long term bedridden group. I have only heard of 1 individual in the U.K. Commiunity with blood clots. I too have been given support stockings in hospital but no ones ever mentioned it for me at home, nor have I seen it in the small amount of literature I've read on severe ME. The book by the late Great Emily Collingidge on living with severe ME might discuss this, it's a severe ME bible anyway . I would discuss with your dr for expert opinion if you're worried but they aren't the nicest things either to wear or put on take off. If you're still getting up and walking a bit (I don't) that's a help
Hey how r u now?

Tella

I am currently in a very bad crash and have been in bed for months and was thinking to myself- am I at an increased risk for blood clots or DVTs? Why do people who are on planes get DVTs, They are only on a plane for a few hours to many hrs. This also reminds me of when i was in the hospital getting surgery and was completely bed bound and they had to put a compression machine on my legs pronto- i was in the hospital for 2 weeks. But Ive been in bed for months before and currently, and no sign watsoever of DVTs.

Should i ask my doctor for a machine or stockings?
Hey how r u now?