• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BeCalm spray

Hello,

Has anyone tried the Yasko BeCalm spray? I tried it two nights ago.. first night was interesting, I was tired within a hour.. I slept well initially then woke up a couple of times with heart beat slightly fast.. however went back to sleep easily (this is unusual for me). Second night, I took a little more (directions are 6 sprays, I took 2 the first night and 4 the second night). This knocked me for a six.. flat out asleep instantly, however woke coughing and heart racing. obviously I do not need much of this stuff.

I did find something interesting though, I have had upper back pain ( since the I was pregnant) 12 years ago! I have tried everything, chiro, massage bla bla.. for the first time I have had no back pain in these 12 years.. Can Gaba do this? I am really quite ignorant of what Gaba does.. Yasko has suggested I take it ( genetic profile). d. Would anyone like to comment on this? cheers..

Thinktank

Yes GABA can relief pain. i'm not going into details but look up gabapentin (neurontin), it's often used to relief backpain.

The amount of GABA in the becalm spray is minimal but it contains several gabaergic compounds that potentiate GABA uptake.
The cough might indicate that you are allergic to something in the spray.

I personally wouldn't use that spray too often.

Gingergrrl

Yes GABA can relief pain. i'm not going into details but look up gabapentin

Sorry if this is an incredibly dumb question but is GABA related to Gabapentin? This never even occurred to me before (and I have never used this spray) but according to one of my auto-antibodies, I should not take Gabapentin, b/c is a calcium channel blocker, but I possibly should take GABA since the other antibody messes with my GABA/glutamate ratio.

Does this question make sense to anyone?

zzz

GABA is completely unrelated to gabapentin; gabapentin was named before its mechanism of action was understood. GABA is a natural neurotransmitter - one of the most plentiful in the brain - while gabapentin is an artificial drug. GABA directly affects the GABA receptors in the brain, of which there are huge numbers, while gabapentin is an allosteric modulator of these receptors (like benzodiazepines), which means that it acts indirectly by modulating the effect of other neurotransmitters (such as GABA) at the GABA receptor. In addition to this modulating effect, gabapentin also has a number of other actions, such as its effect on the calcium channel. GABA has no direct effect on the calcium channel.

GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which means that it tends to calm things down in the brain. However, GABA normally does not cross the blood brain barrier, so taking external forms of GABA has no effect in most people. But in ME/CFS, a leaky blood brain barrier is much more common than in healthy people, and while this is generally not a good thing, it does allow external forms of GABA to reach the brain and have their desired effect.
The amount of GABA in the becalm spray is minimal but it contains several gabaergic compounds that potentiate GABA uptake.

Due to the problems of getting GABA directly into the brain, using such gabaergic compounds is a common approach to raising GABA levels there.
Yes GABA can relief pain. i'm not going into details but look up gabapentin

As these two drugs work very differently, their actions are not comparable.

Last edited:
Yes GABA can relief pain. i'm not going into details but look up gabapentin (neurontin), it's often used to relief backpain.

The cough might indicate that you are allergic to something in the spray.

I personally wouldn't use that spray too often.

Thank you for that. I will look up gabapentin..

Thinktank

GABA is completely unrelated to gabapentin; gabapentin was named before its mechanism of action was understood. GABA is a natural neurotransmitter - one of the most plentiful in the brain - while gabapentin is an artificial drug. GABA directly affects the GABA receptors in the brain, of which there are huge numbers, while gabapentin is an allosteric modulator of these receptors (like benzodiazepines), which means that it acts indirectly by modulating the effect of other neurotransmitters (such as GABA) at the GABA receptor. In addition to this modulating effect, gabapentin also has a number of other actions, such as its effect on the calcium channel. GABA has no direct effect on the calcium channel.

GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which means that it tends to calm things down in the brain. However, GABA normally does not cross the blood brain barrier, so taking external forms of GABA has no effect in most people. But in ME/CFS, a leaky blood brain barrier is much more common than in healthy people, and while this is generally not a good thing, it does allow external forms of GABA to reach the brain and have their desired effect.

Due to the problems of getting GABA directly into the brain, using such gabaergic compounds is a common approach to raising GABA levels there.

As these two drugs work very differently, their actions are not comparable.

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup: I got fooled by the name. :(
How does gabapentin bind to the GABA receptor? At which subunit? Or does it work differently? Not at the BZD site is assume.

zzz

How does gabapentin bind to the GABA receptor?

Gabapentin binds to the α2δ (alpha-2-delta) subunit.
Not at the BZD site is assume.

Actually, the α2δ subunit is also a major binding site for benzodiazepines. This means that gabapentin can be used as part of a benzodiazepine taper, as the gabapentin replaces the benzodiazepine molecules. I have verified this myself in my own treatment. Such a taper should be done under the supervision of a doctor, of course.

Since gabapentin and the benzodiazepines are both allosteric modulators, gabapentin has some of the same addictive potential as the benzodiazepines, and its discontinuation must be done via a taper. However, the addictive potential of gabapentin tends to be much less than the benzodiazepines, especially when gabapentin is used in small doses, so fewer problems tend to arise when tapering off gabapentin as compared to tapering off benzodiazepines.

Thinktank

So if benzodiazepines bind to the alpha-2-delta subunit, won't gabapentine only slow recovery If the subunit is already desensitized by longterm benzodiazepine use?

Gingergrrl

In addition to this modulating effect, gabapentin also has a number of other actions, such as its effect on the calcium channel. GABA has no direct effect on the calcium channel.

Sorry was not clear and when I mentioned GABA was referring to my other auto-antibody (GAD65) versus the calcium channel one. But now that you explained that GABA and gabapentin have no real connection, it answered my question.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Listed ingredients of 'BeCalm' in case people are interested:

Purified water
Vegetable Glycerin (palm derived)
Trehalose
Natural Flavors
DL-Malic Acid
Citric Acid
Medium Chain Triglycerides (vegetable derived)
Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).
VITAMIN E (AS SUCCINATE) 7 IU
PROPRIETARY BLEND: 88.7mg
GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid)
L-THEANINE
L-CARNOSINE
LITHIUM (as orotate)
MAGNOLIA BARK EXTRACT
RESVERATROL
PTEROSTILBENE (pTeroPure™)
PROPRIETARY HERBAL BLEND: 27.73mg
JUJUBE SEED EXTRACT

LEMON BALM LEAF EXTRACT
NETTLE LEAF EXTRACT
SWEET ORANGE PEEL EXTRACT (Citrus sinensis)
PASSION FLOWER EXTRACT
SKULLCAP ROOT EXTRACT

For people with lots of allergies or super sensitive to things, my red text above, of ingredients I doubt people would usually come into contact with on a day to day basis. Also you'd need to investigate what the proprietary blend is to make sure you aren't allergic to any of the unlisted ingredients, but they won't tell you as that's their secret.

Feeling 'calm' sounds like a wonderful experience and I'd have a bath in the stuff if I wasn't allergic to practically everything.

I hope you guys have fun with it, it looks harmless enough compared to squirting Lyrica down your throat, that although it tastes yummy, tends to have the effect on me of making vertigo and breathing difficulty even worse. Did you know one of the stated adverse effects of Lyrica is lung damage?!

I'm all for natural treatment man.... (puffs natural plant based cigarette in relaxed bliss).......