• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beaver gets Lymed. (Trimethoprim, Plaquenil?)

roxie60

Bactrim has a bit of p. Sent me to emergency 3 times. It is banned in most of UK : http://briandeer.com/bactrim-septra.htm

The sulfa part is the problem, and is mostly ineffective. Trimeth is ok.
Scary. I have been on septra gor 11 weeks and llmd wants me to continue for another 12 weeks. This info seems a bit dated. How are we suppose to make good decisions when there sre stories like this. How can our drs know about all these drug issues. I thoyght I would have trubs with sulfa drugs due to some genetic polymorphisms.

in addition starting Minocycline for 12 weeks.

Last edited:

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
@roxie60 One approach might be to just be mindful of harmful side-effects. At first sign drop them. After 11 weeks without probs, you should be fine to continue, I would expect.

I can't add much to the debate about the merits or effectiveness of each protocol. What I do know is that the sulfa part of Bactrim has been shown to be ineffectual in some studies, so fall back position might be to switch to trimethoprin by itself.

My prescribing lymie switched me onto another protocol right away, so that is another option, if side-effects occur.