1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Be careful searching for "tests"

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by oerganix, Dec 10, 2009.

1. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

I have a "google alert" set up for XMRV. One of the alerts I received looked like this:

Google Web Alert for: XMRV

XMRV virus test for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) now available
    Following the breakthrough discovery of the XMRV retrovirus in a highly significant number of chronic fatigue syndrome patients a US lab is now making a ...

When I clicked it, I got a warning from my antivirus software that this site may have malware that could harm my computer.

This is the site that gave me the malware warning:

http://www. ei-resource. org/news/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-news/xmrv-virus-test-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-now-available/

(I have disjointed it so it won't be clickable)
  2. Katie

Katie Guest

Nice catch, I wonder if my Firefox WOT would have caught it? I might check and then give it a negative rating so others are protected.

Again, thanks, so nice to have so many pairs of eyes looking out for each other.

Edit: I got the same malware warning and I've down rated it.
  3. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Interesting. I have an XMRV google alert set up too, yet I didn't receive notification for that website.

Thanks for the heads-up, oerganix.
  4. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

google alerts

Could it be how you have set up your google alert? Mine is set to "comprehensive".

My alerts have 3 different headings:

Google News Alert
    Google Blogs Alert
    Google Web Alert

The alert re: the possibly bogus site/malware site was reported under the last, the Web Alert
  5. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

only XMRV

I only have "XMRV" in my alert, too, so I guess it's another cyberspace mystery. I should think that anything with those letters, be it test or retrovirus, etc., would/should show up.

See more popular forum discussions.