1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC2 programme: Horizon - allergies

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Scarecrow, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Senior Member

Scotland
    Wasn't sure whether to post this here (it isn't about ME/CFS) or in the 'Other News' section (but it isn't news).

If you have access to UK tv channels (or i-player), you may find this programme of interest. The tenuous ME/CFS interest (other than a lot of us having allergies) relates to the microbiome. An interview I saw this morning leads me to believe that the microbiome will feature in the programme, which examines the reason for the increase in the rates of allergies.

It's on BBC2 at 9pm.
    Thinktank, aimossy and Sasha like this.
  2. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    People outside the UK need a VPN connection to a server in the UK to watch the stream. Or watch it on one of the multiple online-streaming websites, google for: BBC online stream.

Edit: Damn lymebrain, we have BBC2 on cable here...
    Valentijn and Scarecrow like this.
  3. lazzlazz

lazzlazz

Seattle
    Did anyone watch? What was your opinion?
    on other BBC channels Thurs Aug 28 2014 but not sure if you can get them in US
    Horizon: Allergies - Modern Life and Me is also on...
    BBC Two (Wales) 11:20pm Thu 28 Aug Click to view full show details
    BBC Two (Scotland) 11:50pm Thu 28 Aug Click to view full show details

Here's the program website - but the iplayer won't work in US (unless someone figures out a work around - please post instructions)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxf

An article about the program: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28934415
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Senior Member

Scotland
    Hi, lazzlazz. I did watch it but not closely as I was otherwise occupied.

As it turned out, the microbiome featured heavily in the programme. Some of the hypotheses/conclusions of some of the scientists being interviewed were:

• that changes in the population of microbes in the microbiome could alter the function of the immune system,
    • that babies / young children can pick up 'harmful' microbes in their early years, particularly from hospitals
    • that babies born by C-section can miss out on the microbes that they would normally pick up from the birth canal and that it can take months for the microbiome to become 'normal'
    • that the much reduced incidence of non-fatal, relatively neutral parasitic infestations has had an impact on the immune system
    Unsurprisingly, antibiotic use was also mentioned.
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.