• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC2 programme: Horizon - allergies

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Wasn't sure whether to post this here (it isn't about ME/CFS) or in the 'Other News' section (but it isn't news).

If you have access to UK tv channels (or i-player), you may find this programme of interest. The tenuous ME/CFS interest (other than a lot of us having allergies) relates to the microbiome. An interview I saw this morning leads me to believe that the microbiome will feature in the programme, which examines the reason for the increase in the rates of allergies.

It's on BBC2 at 9pm.

Thinktank

People outside the UK need a VPN connection to a server in the UK to watch the stream. Or watch it on one of the multiple online-streaming websites, google for: BBC online stream.

Edit: Damn lymebrain, we have BBC2 on cable here...

Did anyone watch? What was your opinion?
on other BBC channels Thurs Aug 28 2014 but not sure if you can get them in US
Horizon: Allergies - Modern Life and Me is also on...
BBC Two (Wales) 11:20pm Thu 28 Aug Click to view full show details
BBC Two (Scotland) 11:50pm Thu 28 Aug Click to view full show details

Here's the program website - but the iplayer won't work in US (unless someone figures out a work around - please post instructions)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxf

An article about the program: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28934415

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Did anyone watch? What was your opinion?
Hi, lazzlazz. I did watch it but not closely as I was otherwise occupied.

As it turned out, the microbiome featured heavily in the programme. Some of the hypotheses/conclusions of some of the scientists being interviewed were:

• that changes in the population of microbes in the microbiome could alter the function of the immune system,
  • that babies / young children can pick up 'harmful' microbes in their early years, particularly from hospitals
  • that babies born by C-section can miss out on the microbes that they would normally pick up from the birth canal and that it can take months for the microbiome to become 'normal'
  • that the much reduced incidence of non-fatal, relatively neutral parasitic infestations has had an impact on the immune system
Unsurprisingly, antibiotic use was also mentioned.