Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC: Research in Norwich could offer ME/CFS breakthrough

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by deleder2k, Jan 26, 2017.

1. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

This is so great! Researching and sharing experiences are the key to solving this disease. Norway and the UK should continue to pursue an even better relationship in the future.

I am sorry about the quality. The feed from BBC was non-HD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    It will be interesting to see what good ole Simon W will have to say about this. :eek:

4. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    This is from the BBC!
    They talk about the illness as 'ME'.

Professor Simon Carding is shown saying about the forthcoming trial in Norwich:
    'I think it is very exciting and promising. I think it gives hope now, for probably the first time, that there could be a treatment for this devastating disorder.'

5. ash0787

ash0787 Senior Member

looks like english scientist are starting to take interest due to the evidence emerging internationally,
    this and also oxford, thats good, as I said yesterday there will always be good people to counterbalance the corruption.

6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Hard to believe this illness is being potrayed correctly on television. Devastating illness, no effective treatment, B cell depletion may turn out to be the breakthrough patients so desperately need. They're even showing a severely affected patient rather than a tired college student.

7. soti

soti Senior Member

"no effective treatment"... guess they didn't get the memo from the SMC then!

Ambrosia_angel, rosa, actup and 31 others like this.
  8. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Excellent stuff.

I gather this was part of a regional news/affairs programme in the Norwich region. Now we just need the story to go national.

Mary, actup, cirrus and 13 others like this.
  9. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Repeated use of the term "ME sufferers", not "patients". Someone at the BBC understands our experience.

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The main message seems to be about the upcoming UK Rituximab trial. I really look forward to these trials. Its our best chance at a first cure.

11. veganmua

veganmua Senior Member

London, UK
    Ok, let me get this straight - do I have to move to Norfolk or Suffolk to participate in the trial? Could anyone in the know advise me of exactly which doctor I would need to be under to ensure I am eligible? Or could anyone tell me how I might find out this information? Moving house is a small price to pay for a chance to get my life back!

merylg, TiredSam, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  12. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

@veganmua, if you're willing to move from the Great city of London to engage in a trial where there is a 50% you'll receive placebo, perhaps you would be interested in getting treatment in Norway? 2 infusions + 4 maintenance infusions is around £16,500. The hospital is located outside of Stavanger, and you can fly from Gatwick or Heathrow non-stop. The flight time is around 1h 45m.

actup, Dechi, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  13. eljefe19

eljefe19

Do you think the fact they are doing a U.K. trial mean that the Norwegian trial is likely to be successful?

kiwigirl29, actup, MEMum and 2 others like this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ask me in November or so. We don't know. What I will say is many are anticipating the trial will be successful. We have every reason to expect some level of success. It might not be as much as what we were hoping for ... but uncertainty works the other way too. It might be more than what we were hoping for.

Ambrosia_angel, Mary, merylg and 11 others like this.
  15. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones Senior Member

Excellent! Remember to upvote the video on youtube.

16. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

"In that kind of disability, psychological factors are important, and I don't care how unpopular that statement makes me".

Solstice, MEMum, Jo Best and 2 others like this.
  17. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

The public dialogue is changing. Can you feel it?

18. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

I think they pretty much know whether the study will be positive or not. What is interesting is that a large number of patients has been treated privately with RTX too. We have no official data from the off-label use, but I've spoken to very many of the patients treated, and my feeling is that the multi-centre trial won't show that two thirds of patients will respond. If I would guess I would say that the response rate would be in the lower 50's. That is mostly speculation from my side. On the other hand; most major phase 3 studies tend to show a slightly lower response rates. I think that is rather common. Especially when the recruiting of patients are different compared to phase 1 and phase 2 studies. Getting a result of 50%+ would be a game changer for the perception of the disease. I don't expect the placebo response to hit 20%.

Mary, merylg, actup and 11 others like this.
  19. perrier

perrier Senior Member

Why have some sufferers become worse on RTX

20. eljefe19

eljefe19

@deleder2k I can shed some light, Dr Kaufman at OMI says their response rate is similar to the Norwegians.

merylg, actup, MEMum and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.