Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC Radio feature on Functional conditions

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by In Vitro Infidelium, Oct 11, 2012.

1. In Vitro Infidelium

In Vitro Infidelium Guest

Somewhat annoying and given the history of the term Functional - not a little 'Orwellian' - still a useful quick view of how the neuro-psych are approaching the issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n65zl

approx 9 minutes long from 6 minutes in.

IVI

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    And did you know that before.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

So he doesn't like the term "medically unexplained symptoms", and prefers his "functional" assumptions instead, even though it's based on guesswork? Maybe someone should tell him that doctors don't get fired for saying "I don't know".

GhostGum and Enid like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12

That whatever-you-call-it-sign, to do with testing muscle response depending upon the action being taken, does move some of these diagnoses beyond being simply being: No idea, call it 'functional'.

It seems like this gets mixed in with some narrative building, unreasonable lumping etc, etc. The claims surrounding functional disorders can be quacky, but can have reasonable sections too, so it's best to be cautious and specific in criticisms.

A bit OT, but I didn't think this was worth starting a new thread about. I was just reading this paper on Conversion Disorder: http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/12/2/152.full.pdf

It had this section on hypnosis:

Then these were the two cases mentioned:

It's so like lots of CFS papers - building narratives out of anecdotes and 'clinical judgement'.

I thought this was a nice and concise write up of the explanation for some of the bullying many patients get:

edit: There was a later bit on whiplash too, and I just stumbled upon this 1997 paper which showed no association between prior personality traits and the onset of whiplash, so thought I'd post a link to it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9160275

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Conversion disorder has no objective markers. I am not even sure such a thing exists. The guy who formalized all this was Charcot (hysteria, hypnotism etc), and Freud (conversion disorder) was one of his students. Their theories are largely discredited, yet some of their ideas live on.

6. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    Took me many years to find a consultant immunologist who was willing to say "there is no magic bullet". Kind of wish very much that I'd heard that years before because without it I was constantly blaming myself for not trying hard enough, and then when I failed to get better even by taking and following their advice - that self-blame and guilt only added to the stress of living with it all.

Honesty would be a terrific advance in "modern medicine". Repeated opinions based on not very much other than a hunch does nobody any favours in the long run. My initial belief that a trip to the doctors when I was in desperate need would result in a quick fix; took some time to overcome.

"Modern Medicine" and "Medical Science" are not infallible but I think those that practice either still tend to promote a belief that they are and this is detrimental to anyone with an untreatable/not enough known about it/long term chronic condition.

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hmmm, is he just replacing "medically unexplained symptoms" with "magically explained symptoms" and then hiding it by calling the magic a conversion disorder?

Valentijn and natasa778 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.