• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC Radio 4 - The State of Welfare Tuesday 27 November 2012

Firestormm

This is a 3 hour broadcast over 3 weeks and I thought it might be worth a listen. Personally I find listening to the radio far more conducive these days that the television-thingy that sits in the corner gathering dust and I can't remember how to use :)

b01p0fpg.jpg

Seventy years ago William Beveridge wrote a report that was to lay the foundations for the welfare state. He identified the Five Giants that society needed to slay: Want, Disease, Ignorance, Squalor and Idleness. His vision was to lead to the welfare state we know today.

Jane Garvey and Julian Worricker discuss how well the state serves those who rely it on it and those who pay for it. They'll hear from a new BBC-commissioned poll on attitudes to those on welfare and how well the system is working.

They also challenge some of the myths surrounding the Beveridge report with his biographer Jose Harris and political historian Steven Fielding.

They will be exploring fresh visions for welfare in 2012 from Julia Slay of the New Economics Foundation, the author James Bartholomew and Frances O'Grady, the leader of the TUC.

They'll face some tough questioning from a panel of Anne McElvoy of The Economist magazine, Patrick Nolan from the thinktank Reform and Alison Garnham of The Child Poverty Action Group.

And debating how we make decisions about fairness and entitlement to welfare are Frank Field, Labour MP, the philosopher Roger Scruton and social commentator Polly Toynbee.

The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Iain Duncan Smith will also be taking questions on welfare

Linky-dink: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p0fpg

Dear Moderators - I don't have a clue where to post things such as this. Sorry :)