• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC News: "The teenager who loses consciousness when she runs"

me/cfs 27931

Article about a 19 year old female runner with frontal lobe epilepsy. Apparently, running increases her seizures, but her doctor considers it beneficial.

Includes a doctor quote that running is beneficial for all diseases and disorders.
Diagnosed at the age of nine with frontal lobe epilepsy, she managed her condition with medication until it deteriorated when puberty hit and her hormones started "kicking up".

"I wasn't able to get out of bed. I wasn't able to do anything for myself and couldn't really speak. My Mum was dressing me and showering me," she says.

Cooke was admitted to Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin where she remained for 10 months. Despite being involved in numerous medical trials she regressed, lost control of her back and hips, and by the time she was discharged she wasn't able to walk.

"I couldn't hold myself up and was in a wheelchair for about seven months but being a very stubborn person I wanted to prove to people what I could do.

"After a lot of physio I started jogging every day and I started to absolutely love the freedom."

Cooke now runs every day and says a missed session sees the tiredness and dizziness of her earlier condition return.

But running only alleviates her symptoms, it hasn't been a cure.

The raised heart rate brought on by running triggers more seizures than if she didn't run, but Cooke says it improves her general well-being which is a negative worth accepting.

Her neurologist, Dr Doherty, has also weighed up the pros and cons from a medical perspective.

"There are particular challenges with having epilepsy and long-distance running, but if you're walking you have those challenges too and I think the general benefits outweigh these risks," he says.

"If you took the average long-distance runner and measured all their health parameters against somebody who doesn't run you would find, no matter what disease or disorder they carried with them, they're better off."

http://www.bbc.com/news/disability-38495513

Last edited:

arewenearlythereyet

Wow.....so by running she increases her seizures, which in turn will increase her susceptibility to more seizures. That's interesting since I thought the whole point of treating epilepsy was to decrease frequency not increase it. Seems doctors now can make that decision for their patient by withholding key risk information . I presume as a result of all the extra running she will have to take more medication to control the increased seizures with all the negative side effects that brings to her long term health.

Sounds so familiar doesn't it?

erin

This is absolutely irresponsible.
I hate, hate, hate this f'ing sport frenzy - health fanaticism in this country (UK).
People with cancer had to run maratons etc. I am disgusted.
The message is, hey don't lie there in your death bed you lazy so so, run for your death.

This is a form of fascism, everyone has to be highly fit and active and if you're not you have to pretend that you are. Otherwise you are open to abuse. Call it healthyism or whatever. You are not allow to be sick, even if you are sick.

Sorry about the rant, I'm so sick today. The subject made me angry. So much pressure on sick people.

SilverbladeTE

It's called "being an "untermensch who should die to save the Reich money!"
you are either ubermensch or undermensch, there is no humanity or compassion or reason in our sick, twisted countries any more (at the top anyway)

EuthanasiePropaganda.jpg