The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC News: "The teenager who loses consciousness when she runs"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Webdog, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Article about a 19 year old female runner with frontal lobe epilepsy. Apparently, running increases her seizures, but her doctor considers it beneficial.

Includes a doctor quote that running is beneficial for all diseases and disorders.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

So the doctor thinks risking death is a good idea, since nothing is more important than regular exercise? :confused:

Alvin2, Sushi, Webdog and 13 others like this.
  3. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    I think he might have just said people who can run are healthier than people who can't. Doh!

Sushi, NL93, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  4. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

Wow.....so by running she increases her seizures, which in turn will increase her susceptibility to more seizures. That's interesting since I thought the whole point of treating epilepsy was to decrease frequency not increase it. Seems doctors now can make that decision for their patient by withholding key risk information . I presume as a result of all the extra running she will have to take more medication to control the increased seizures with all the negative side effects that brings to her long term health.

Sounds so familiar doesn't it?

Alvin2, Webdog, Laelia and 2 others like this.
  5. erin

erin Senior Member

This is absolutely irresponsible.
    I hate, hate, hate this f'ing sport frenzy - health fanaticism in this country (UK).
    People with cancer had to run maratons etc. I am disgusted.
    The message is, hey don't lie there in your death bed you lazy so so, run for your death.

This is a form of fascism, everyone has to be highly fit and active and if you're not you have to pretend that you are. Otherwise you are open to abuse. Call it healthyism or whatever. You are not allow to be sick, even if you are sick.

Sorry about the rant, I'm so sick today. The subject made me angry. So much pressure on sick people.

6. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    The term ableism actually exists. But I also like your term healthyism, it covers a broader spectrum for me. :thumbsup:

7. erin

erin Senior Member

I've not heard the term ableism. Thank you for that. I made up healthyism, :p not sure it is appropriate.

There is a discrimination and oppression against unhealthy in this culture.

Webdog, merylg, Laelia and 1 other person like this.
  8. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    It's called "being an "untermensch who should die to save the Reich money!"
    you are either ubermensch or undermensch, there is no humanity or compassion or reason in our sick, twisted countries any more (at the top anyway)

EuthanasiePropaganda.jpg

erin likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.