The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC News: Multiple sclerosis drug 'a landmark'

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Dec 22, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38392548

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocrelizumab
    Paper in New England Journal of Medicine http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1606468

ahmo, Demepivo, Mij and 12 others like this.
  2. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Very interesting! I'd like to see some trials in ME.

It is also interesting that Rituximab is reaching the end of its patent, so it might be affordable for people who wouldn't otherwise have been able to access it. Good news all around.

3. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Well, yes and no. For MS, it will be Ocrelizumab licenced as a treatment, not Rituximab, so, unless someone else runs trials to prove that Rituximab is as effective and safe as Ocrelizumab, the high(-er) cost will remain. For ME, if and when Rituximab is proven as a treatment, then yes, hopefully it will be cheaper than it might have been.

MEMum, Demepivo, Mij and 3 others like this.
  4. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Fascinating and horribly cynical of a drug company to stop trials on a drug that was about to go off patent and switch to one that's only slightly different that can be patented for years and therefore make the drug company far more money. Nothing to do with benefit to patients.

ahmo, natasa778, Mary and 12 others like this.
  5. J.G

J.G

This. Fortunately they did it "quickly", so it's all good! /rolleyes

Hadn't heard of Ocrelizumab before. Good to see the repertoire of immunomodulatory drugs expanding.

6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I did actually mean it would be affordable for ME patients if/when it becomes available.

Comet likes this.
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

The results sound rather pathetic and grossly overhyped in the media, sorry. And the side effects including what looks like a trend toward increased cancer seems rather scary and doesn't seem worth it given that the patients felt no better on the expensive new pharma drug than in the placebo group, as evidenced by the fact that their SF-36 scores were the same. If autoimmune diseases were really caused by B cells you'd expect a drug like this to do a lot better.

ahmo, Daffodil, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  8. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member

I think this might have parallels with ME in that It seems more useful in the RR form than PP and isn't thought to be useful to secondary primary progressive MS where it's an accumulation of damage and interfering with the immune process won't reverse that. Is that why rituximzb and ampligen seem more Useful in shorter Ill, less severe ME ?
    Its good pwMS have more treatment options to reduce disability but these somewhat weak results to me highlight the difficulty of treating complex illness and just make me fear how long it's going to take To find treatment for Various stages of ME with a Research effort 20 times less.

trishrhymes likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.