1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC NEWS- ME not caused by XMRV

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by VillageLife, Dec 20, 2010.

1. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
  2. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    The BBC dont report the whole story.

3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Yeah, we are also talking about it here:
    http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showth...ion-in-XMRV-testing.-Coffin-McClure-and-Huber

But this news article alone deserves it's own thread I think. As I have stated in the other thread, this kind of news is potentially very damaging to our cause. With the caveat I still believe in XMRV and contamination is not an issue. If contamination is an issue, then it's all over.

Like you, I want the truth, even if it means that XMRV is just a contaminant (as then a treatment would offer no hope anyway).

4. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    BBC adds "... say researchers". I think that's important. This is the opinion of one team of researchers. Fine. Let's hear what the others say...

I feel if they say XMRV is not an infectious human virus at all this might even challenge Silverman, De Risi and Klein, who discovered XMRV. So some more capable people that will be forced to fight on our side.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It looks like Silverman is dubious about XMRV.

6. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This is new to me. Where does this come from?

7. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Seriously? Can you post some sources?

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Wasn't he involved with two of the different contamination papaers today?

I've only read the over-view though, not the four original papers, so could well be confused.

9. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Whenever there is a positive biomedical research finding in ME/CFS, ie the recent ME Research UK viral findings, the British press seek 'balance' and ask psychiatrists for a (negative) comment. Even Dr Shepherd at the ME Association doesn't seem to think this is unreasonable.

Yet somehow, now we have some 'contamination' papers, there is apparently no need for 'balance' - in fact we have I think 4-5 contamination studies published in a row - just in time for Xmas. Where is a comment from Harvey Alter for eg. - just for 'balance' of course?

10. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I don't think he was involved, though I haven't read the entire 5 studies.

If one of the discoverers of this virus is starting to doubt himself, then I will really start to worry... so I am hoping he wasn't involved.

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Oops... you're right. I got him mixed up with Coffin. Not sure how I managed that.

12. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

No problem. Coffin has always been a bit paranoid about contamination, so this is not a new move for him. Also it's good that there are people worried about this, I don't want them silenced or anything. I want the truth.

I am becoming quite worried though that some of these scientists are not in it to help us or find the truth (not talking about Coffin here). It's more like they are trying to find their own truth, or at least that's the vibe I am getting.

13. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

I don't like the way they cover this neither. But Lo et al. got some 300+ articles that reported about it and could be found via Google within 1 or 2 days. I don't think this will get to 100. Not saying i know what to make of it, though. I hope for reactions from the "positive camp" without having to wait for too long.

14. Lala

Lala Senior Member

EU
    How stupid. If XMRV is not human retrovirus, then how can humans have antibodies against it ??

15. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Right. It might be that the antibody tests react to something else than human antibodies to XMRV. But that's not at all proven. And i'm no scientist anyway.

16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Waaaay too strong a claim, at this point.

This needs to be answered by the negative crowd.

17. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
    What makes it worse is the BBC's front page headline, which most people will see without viewing the item is: More doubt over viral link to ME.

This would imply to the casual reader that there is a total lack of viral connection to ME. I'm appalled, but not surprised, by the BBC reporting of this.

18. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    Bbc = rubbish

19. free at last

free at last Senior Member

Two words for the BBC to put a very sophisticated slant on this oh so balanced reporting
    SCREW YOU

See more popular forum discussions.