• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC News: Immune training MS trial 'safe'

Firestormm

Immune training MS trial 'safe'

6 June 2013

An experimental treatment to stop the body attacking its own nervous system in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) appears safe in trials.

The sheath around nerves cells, made of myelin, is destroyed in MS, leaving the nerves struggling to pass on messages.

A study on nine patients, reported in Science Translational Medicine, tried to train the immune system to cease its assault on myelin.

The MS Society said the idea had "exciting potential".

As nerves lose their ability to talk to each other, the disease results in problems moving and balancing and can affect vision.

There are drugs that can reduce number and severity of attacks, but there is no cure.

Retraining

The disease is caused by the body's immune system thinking that myelin is a foreign body like a flu virus.

Researchers at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine developed a technique to retrain the immune system.

They took blood samples and coupled white blood cells, a part of the immune system, to fragments of myelin. This was injected back into the patients to make them tolerate myelin.

The researchers said the therapy appeared safe. The study was too small to prove whether it benefited patients, but the researchers did report a calming of the immune reaction.

Prof Stephen Miller said: "Our approach leaves the function of the normal immune system intact. That's the holy grail."

He said future trials would target patients in the early stages.

He said: "We want to treat patients as early as possible in the disease before they have paralysis due to myelin damage, once the myelin is destroyed, it's hard to repair that."

Dr Susan Kohlhaas, head of biomedical research at the MS Society, said: "Being able to specifically stop the immune system attacking myelin but still keeping it fully functional poses an exciting potential therapy for people with MS.

"We were interested to see this novel way of re-programming the immune system shown to be well tolerated in this very small study.

"More research is now needed and we eagerly await the results of any future larger clinical trials of this therapy."

Comment from Dr Charles Shepherd, MEA Facebook, yesterday:

Interesting new research relating to immunomodulation therapy in MS. Whilst there is no evidence of demyelination (= loss of the myelin sheath that covers the nerves - a key pathological feature of MS) taking place in ME/CFS it is possible that there is an autoimmune component causing nervous system damage/change in ME/CFS.

The MRC has issued a highlight notice calling for research proposals relating to neuroinflammation in ME/CFS, and this is the sort of innovative research that we want to see taking place in ME/CFS - possibly in collaboration with a pharmaceutical company that has a strong neuroscience base.