The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC News: 'Fake research' comes under scrutiny

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Mar 27, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39357819

I wonder if the Countess of Mar is aware of this Committee, or if we could point them in the direction of PACE. Although, if their remit is only to "reassure the public that robust systems are in place in the UK." then you don't necessarily need to investigate anything at all.

@charles shepherd , any mileage we can make out of this in relation to PACE?

GreyOwl, Cohen2, Solstice and 22 others like this.
  2. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

They are probably looking at changing the process, not specific examples, but if it can be used to fact check PACE thats a bonus

3. Laelia

Laelia Senior Member

UK
    Is this the clumsiest piece of BBC journalism ever? Or is the author of this article trying to expose The House of Commons Science and Technology Committee of the real purpose of it's inquiry?

Either way brilliant!

alex3619 and AndyPR like this.
  4. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I would say the BBC can see there is a storm coming, and suddenly realises it needs to try and look like it has had no part to play in tacitly supporting bad science such as PACE, by only reporting what it has been spoon fed from the SMC.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I wonder if they will look at how extremely poor research gets approved, funded and published? I doubt it, I expect to see its beyond the scope of any terms of reference. I would like to be wrong about this though.

Barry53, Solstice, Jan and 4 others like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I've been wondering how we can investigate the process that led to PACE and FINE getting funding, and see if there's been any attempt to learn from these mistakes from the institutions involved.

Barry53, SamanthaJ, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  7. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Sadly, I suspect that's wishful thinking. I can't see why the BBC will connect this with ME research at all.

The impression I get is that they are talking about blatant cheating like copying other people's data or making up data, not the finer points of protocol changes etc.

Laelia, Barry53 and AndyPR like this.
  8. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Well, if they don't see it as mistakes then I doubt it would do much good. It's all about that cost-effectiveness and i'm sure they feel as if they achieved that goal. It's just that us pesky patients won't take it lying down, making life difficult for them.

Laelia, Esther12, Barry53 and 2 others like this.
  9. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I thought that the Science and Technology Committee could, unfortunately, never be taken quite seriously since the time it had David Tredinnick as a member.

10. char47

char47 Senior Member

When i saw the headline 'fake research' on the BBC website this morning, there was a nanosecond where i thought i might be about PACE & my eyes got very wide:nerd: but i quickly came back to reality before i clicked on it, :rolleyes: that would be far too good to be true that the beeb would actually start reporting some truth instead of propaganda around ME.

Nevertheless, although I wasnt sure where to post this as it's not directly related to ME/CFS, I thought it was relevant given the whole PACE debacle. And i wondered whether it would be worth someone like @Jonathan Edwards (or someone with equal credibility/prestige) contacting them & putting them on to the PACE story? just an idea?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39357819

ETA I trust the mods will move this thread if they think it should be somewhere else - if so apologies for any inconvenience

Laelia, Barry53 and dangermouse like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

The BBC have been put on to the PACE story. It is not quite clear yet how they may respond but it has not been dismissed.

Valentijn, daisybell, Laelia and 7 others like this.
  12. char47

char47 Senior Member

Hi Jonathan thanks for replying. I was thinking of Steven Metcalfe & the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee who have "begun an inquiry into the issue to reassure the public that robust systems are in place in the UK". I would've thought that PACE was a powerful illustration of how, despite appearances to the contrary, the peer review system for starters, is certainly not robust enough to weed out these problems?.

Perhaps 'robust enough' isnt the words i'm looking for, i'm having trouble articulating concepts tonight, I shpould probably turn off the screen, but i hope ykwim. i just felt that if ever there was fodder for such an inquiry... it should be PACE?!....

"What we want to do is to investigate how robust the mechanisms are for ensuring that research is ethical, it is accurate, it is, to a degree, reproducible." yeah well you'd better look at PACe because it was none of these things!

Laelia and trishrhymes like this.
  13. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Cautiously encouraging. I imagine there might be a lot of hand wringing going on.

BurnA, Laelia and AndyPR like this.

See more popular forum discussions.