Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC news article: Could turmeric really boost your health?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by AndyPR, Sep 20, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37408293

actup, flybro, Theodore and 3 others like this.
  2. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Curcumin - found in Turmeric is a powerful anti- inflammatory. Unfortunately for me I have MCAS reactions to amounts large enough to have good effects.

3. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
  4. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    What's MCAS, please?

5. actup

actup Senior Member

Pacific NW
    @flybro, MCAS stands for mast cell activation syndrome. Mast cells release too much histamine. I have this problem and take monteleukast, generic Claritin and ranitidine daily w occas. diphenhydramine. I don't use a mast cell stabilizer..yet. The antihistamines lessen my flu like symptoms but not a cure for me/cfs. Good PR threads on mcas.

flybro and justy like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think we need to be careful in deciding this is due to curcumin. Turmeric has a lot more in it than curcumin, and it may be other factors, or combinations of factors, that result in apparent improvement. Does anyone know the dose used? It is probably low, with no appreciable quantity of curcumin.

actup and adreno like this.
  7. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I think there has been a lot of research into curcumin- fairly certain it's considered the active ingredient of turmeric. For cancer people take very high doses.

actup likes this.
  8. actup

actup Senior Member

Pacific NW
    Turmeric has many curcuminoids incl curcumin. I've only seen research studies for curcumin. Not sure why it's the only one researched. I suspect the other curcuminoids are also important so use an organic( hope it really is) turmeric cooking powder from amazon. It's very cheap. I make a curry(very heavy on the turmeric) and use it all week w chicken, eggs, cooked veggies and for dipping raw veggies. I happen to love curry.

The main concern I have w turmeric is the persistently high levels of lead contamination, a problem all supplements derived from plant roots potentially have.

I have been using turmeric in this way for the past two months and seem to tolerate it in spite of my histamine concerns( my mcas symptoms are in moderate range). I lay off the turmeric if dealing w much PEM. And yes I tend to have better weeks when I use it daily. So much of this is subjective but I believe we do understand our body's responses pretty well after a few years of living w me/cfs.

See more popular forum discussions.