1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC names Myhill website complainant

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Supporters of Dr Myhill, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Supporters of Dr Myhill

Supporters of Dr Myhill Guest

Hi,

Just on this point alone,my belief is that the BBC quote is a misquote from the proceedings. The actual quote was:

“There are repeated and significant concerns raised by former patients, medical practitioners and other members of the public”. The repeated and significant only applies to the medical practitioners and members of public.

A late complaint was received by a patient, who complained about EPD and elimination diet making him/her worse in 1996, I believe. Dr Myhill has not seen this complaint and probably won't until she receives all the paperwork from GMC and it is anonymous anyway.

Best to all

Craig

2. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK

Has to be noted - when is a complaint to the GMC NOT 'significant'? And how often does a complaint need repeating to be counted as 'repeated'?

Highly value judgement type words being used there. This sort of thing is when a text starts looking less factual and more ideological. You have to question the level of GMC investigating rigour if they are the ones putting out that sort of account (it's had to have come from somewhere. The BBC may only be working off a press release remember.)

3. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks Craig for clarifying that point about patient complaints. My sense was that the reporting was not accurate.
    What a horrible mess this all is. I have watched the same thing happening in Britain to independant midwives who put their necks on the linefor their patients, they usually end up being hounded out of the proffession for misconduct. This is a similar scenario, with the NHS gunning for anyone who doesnt fit in with their flawed belief system.

4. curry

curry Senior Member

Hi Mark

I didn't know how to understand your post, so I had to google a bit to make sense of it - and found the mentioned forum where this Stuart Jones, aka Jonas, is bragging about his denunciation of Dr Myhill to the GMC.

I've read it yesterday, and was completely appalled.

Apologies for my naivity, expressed in my previous posts, to assume that grown-up people would act with integrity and responsibility when it comes to such a serious matter.

5. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Do you have a link for this please Curry?

6. curry

curry Senior Member

I will send you the link by pm, as I don't want to give them further traffic.

7. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Brilliant, eloquent post, Angela. Thank you for that perfect summary.

8. Cloud

Cloud Guest

9. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    The complaint about the website was not the first one -- this predates back to 2005.

The GMC gave these reasons for suspending Myhill's licence for 12 months. A lot of reasons have nothing to do with the complaint from Jonas/Stuart -- he is a useful scapegoat but the real issues are between Dr Myhill and the GMC.

1. website and the contents therein, including, the recommendation that patients obtain prescription only medication (PoM) from untested, unmonitored and unapproved overseas sources bypassing qualified registered medical practitioners either on the NHS or privately;
    2. the medical treatment of patients remotely and without face to face, or any, consultation, examination or history taking;
    3. continuing to act in a unprofessional manner notwithstanding the formal warning given to you by the GMC in 2005;
    4. your promotion of clinically unsubstantiated treatments to vulnerable patients;
    5. your promotion of personal opinions in relation to nutrition, use of oral contraceptive medicines, patient investigation specifically breast biopsy, and advice in relation to vaccinations;
    6. your failure to engage with approved medical practice and appropriate continuing medical education;
    7. using your status as a registered medical practitioner to reinforce your personal beliefs and to promote private treatments;
    8. your potential failure to recognise and work within the limits of your competence;
    9. your disregard for the conditions imposed by this Panel;
    10. the potentially serious limitation on your insight into your fitness to practise and the consequences of your actions; especially in light of your correspondence with and behaviour towards both your professional regulator and the IOP;
    11. your breach of interim conditions, specifically that you failed to notify an organisation contracting with you to undertake medical work;
    12. your attempts apparently to circumvent, or having the effect of circumventing, the conditions restricting your prescribing practice and restricting the information you were allowed to publish on your website;
    13. your lack of familiarity with the principles of Good Medical Practice and of modern up to date medical treatments;
    14. your ability to practise safely;
    15. your general understanding and awareness of the effect your attitude, behaviour, and conduct has on others and on the profession;
    16. your comprehension and perception as to the consequences of your actions in relation not only to professional colleagues, and patients but to the general public; and
    17. the provision by you of medical care which may fail to meet the requirements of Good Medical Practice.

10. Cloud

Cloud Guest

KJM....do you have access to Dr Myhills response and defense to this list of allegations? I hope that since the GMC has made their charges publicly available, they have made the defendants response available as well.

11. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    No. The entire transcript of what occurred at the IOP has not been published yet. The GMC does make the transcripts of the IOP's public -- should be available at some point next week. Dr Myhill has not yet responded to the allegations -- taking a few days to regroup.

If you look at this link -- www.supportdrmyhill.co.uk/dr_sarah_myhill.html -- there is a lot of information about the GMC hearings (present and past) -- from her point of view.

I will try to remember to post a link to the transcript when it becomes available.

12. IamME

IamME Too sick for an identity

Sounds like a lot of this is substantive rhetoric...

I'm pretty sure she does take histories of her patients... kind of hard to diagnose or treat anthing without doing so. If it's not always face to face, that's because it's in keeping with the severity of some of them but I wouldn't expect the GMC to "get" that bit.

There are plenty of cases in medicine where "unsubstantiated" treatments are used by clinicians, sometimes to save lives, there was one in the news not long ago. Is "pacing" clinically substantiated or isn't it? It's been officially ceded to even by the NICE guidelines, despite having very search into it. CBT/GET has a lot more research but with very "poor" results and a much greater barrage of complaints from patients than Jonas et al (and lets be clear people like him HAVE been leading the witchhunt) could ever dream of getting. This is just rhetoric.

If doctors aren't allowed an opinion of their own what good are they? The end of clinical freedom indeed, welcome medical fascism. The GMC/NHS had better watch -- this is the best advert for privitised medical care could ever hope for. NHS doctors have grown arrogant with their captive market and don't like the threat of patients' choice, too bad.

Though I don't know what the details of this claim are, the same could be said of 99% of doctors whom a pwME is confronted with, at least in regard to "continuing medical education" as it pretty much stops with Chalder et al laughng behind patients' backs or prescribers' journal advising "pond life".

Private doctors aren't allowed to promote private treatments? That sounds very odd. Yet it's just swell that NHS doctors promote quackery like LP and NLP because kids have a "different prognosis"? Isn't there a name for different rules for different groups?

Sound they don't like it when someone defends themselves...

The exaggerated anecdotal claims about patients aside, the vast majority of patients seem happy enough with her, and the couple of ME/CFS ppl whose complaints I heard basically consist of "my ME/CFS got worse" -- if you're going to suspend doctors for that, surgeries all over Britain will be empty (and many in the US too), even some of the few good ones. I expect it's the profession doesn't like a mind of it's own, again. Why not go over the complaints about the psychosocial "fatigue" clinics?

I left out stuff that had too little detail yet or was clearly waffle.

BTW I'm not a patient of hers but have bought some of her supplements -- oh dear I hope I haven't been furthering a great evil. I don't agree with 100% of everything she says but I don't see how most of these claims can be justified except through tendentious, professional bullying.

13. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Stuart Jones is no scapegoat, and as IamME has shown, these 'complaints' against Myhill are risible, because by your logic, Jones's logic, the GMC's logic, they should apply to every NHS doctor in the country dealing with ME/CFS patients.

The situation is ludicrous, and this action brought about by Jones has harmed Myhill's patients. Does he (or you) think he can avoid challenge and criticism for his acts, avoid accountability? "Scapegoat". That is hilarious.

I know certain people are trying to avoid dealing with it, but the rank inconsistency in the GMC's approach, Jones's and others' crusade, the BS threads on Myhill, is the elephant in the room here.

14. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    The bottom line here is that there are no effective medical treatments for ME on the NHS (regardless of what the NICE & GMC may claim). The 'rehabilitation' strategies offered have been nothing but a thorn in the side of patients for far too long and have not been abolished even when patients have gone to court to testify to their ineffectiveness and great harmfulness in many cases.

It is therefore not surprising that patients turn to doctors who are prepared to think for themselves, to look a little further afield and to act on behalf of their patients, (rather than on behalf of the reputation of the medical profession - subtle difference). What does the GMC expect? 'Nature abhors a vaccuum' and all that. Dr Myhill is fulfilling a desperate need.

15. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    There is so much to laugh at (if if all weren't so horrible) but I especially love number 8.

Your Potential failure to recognise? They are suspending a persons' license to practice based on their potential to fail? To fail to recognise?
    The whole tapestry seems to have been weaved of desperation and contempt. I stand by my resolution that the GMC itself must be taken to task.
    Dr M really really needs a solicitor now.

16. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Frightening attitude this isn't it - sort of you have upset us go the back of the class and we will throw the book at you.

17. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Just a point on the BBC statement: Dr Myhill recommended vitamin and magnesium injections for suspected chronic fatigue syndrome, a treatment an expert said had "no clinical or biochemical basis" taken from the BBC article.

Intravenous or transdermal magnesium DOES have a clinical and biochemical basis in CFS: magnesium is a good antagonist of NMDA receptors. There are indications that NMDA receptor overactivity (leading to excitotoxicity) may be part of the picture of CFS/fibromyalgia.

Refs: NMDA Antagonists for CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia
    NMDA Antagonists fibromyalgia / chronic fatigue syndrome.

Dr Myhill also recommends coenzyme Q10 supplementation for CFS patients. Q10 is known to be low in CFS, so replenishing Q10 makes perfect sense. PubMed Ref: Coenzyme Q10 deficiency in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

See more popular forum discussions.