• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC interview with Ron Davis

Barry53

I guess this is one of the key benefits of holding these high profile conferences in the UK, attracting so many of the world's eminent scientists. Highly newsworthy for all the right reasons, and maybe attract some really high calibre journalism; so desperately needed here in the UK.

Barry53

Could be Fergus Walsh I think. If so then we might finally get some high quality ME/CFS journalism south of Hadrian's Wall (north having already done so).

perrier

Oh my gosh! I just talked with Ron and he told me what happened in that BBC interview! I'm so shocked! He was warned that the BBC was on the side of PACE and were totally biased. The people in the interview were 1 scientist (Ron), 2 doctors, and one caregiver who has 3 kids with ME/CFS. The first question was something like, Do you support taking sick kids away from their parents when they refuse to follow established protocols? Ron said they all gasped and didn't answer the question but talked about the protocols being totally wrong. Ron told him that the protocols in England are totally barbaric! He told him that England is the laughing stock of the entire world scientific community with regard to the treatment and protocols and bad science on ME/CFS. He said that when they tried to explain what was wrong with the PACE trials that the reporter just interrupted them and asked another question trying to get them to say something he could use to support his already formed ideas supporting the psychiatric model and PACE. He said they all did their best to tell the guy the real story about the British approach and the truth about the disease and how awful patients are treated in England. Ron and the others were all just disgusted. He thinks the guy will likely find some phrase he can use to make it sound like it fits his ideas. Ugh. It'll be interesting to see what he publishes. What the heck is wrong with the BBC? Has it turned into FOX news? I have always loved lots of stuff from the BBC. Gosh. Ashley was so grossed out that she wrote an amazing post for Facebook about it. Get Ashley mad and the woman can write! She's awesome. Here it is:

"If there is one thing you should take away from the disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it is fear. You should be deeply afraid that it will come for you, or someone you love. It can strike anyone at any time with no rhyme or reason. It is spreading around the country like wild fire with denial from the political world. Imagine a disease like ebola or the end stages of AIDS spreading across the world with no one of power willing to acknowledge it exists. Imagine your mom, your sister, or your son, gets sick and nobody will believe that it is real. But this disease doesn't end your suffering with death or a treatment like ebola or AIDS. This disease leaves you just moments before death for years. You are holding on to life by a thread, fighting with every fiber of your being while the disease laughs at you, because it's not going to kill you, it will leave you in the moment just before death for years, the rest of your life. Imagine that is your family, your loved one, your best friend. Imagine the government and every person around you telling you that there is nothing wrong with them, it isn't real, their disease doesn't really exist. While they are unable to move, bedridden, on feeding tubes in a dark room with no noise or sound. Just imagine that horror and be afraid. Be afraid that it just might choose you, and remember that fear the next time you tell me that my brothers disease isn't real."

I posted this here but I hope the thread doesn't get totally hijacked onto the topic of PACE and the BBC and British protocols. If people want to do that let's start a new thread. And put a link to it here so I can find it!
Ashley has described just how it is. Day after day night after night. Imagine what this does to the psyche. Thanks Ashley for conveying it so well.

Ash

aka @smashman42 'SortaDerpy' on Twitter
I have known the very experienced health journalist from the BBC who is making this programme for many years

This is a serious investigative programme that is looking at the management of children with ME/CFS, child protection issues and controversies surrounding activity management, GET and the PACE trial

Unless he specifically wanted horrified Americans saying the UK system is barbaric, what you've said and what Janet said don't match up very well at all, almost like there are two BBC reporters? :(

My friends’ daughter, now 17, has had cfs since she was about 12. The girl’s father is a senior BBC Radio producer. I’ll send him Janet’s post - perhaps the BBC would like to include the perspective of a senior BBC ‘lifer’ in their programme.

Elle & I loved yesterday’s conference – our first. The number of iconic figures and sheer weight of global brainpower assembled in one room, working together to beat cfs was breath-taking and we left so hopeful - though Elle was so shattered I thought she might pass out on the tube … but she wouldn’t have left before hearing Ron. And Ron was so worth the wait.

That the conference happened in the UK and we could actually be at it was amazing. When we heard the BBC were interviewing Ron it really seemed there might be a light at the end of the nightmare that is cfs in the UK. How naïve. I’ve been at lesser conferences about different matters over the years which have attracted so much more publicity. We had all these world-leading researchers in one easy to reach central London location and it’s not UK news. The only media I heard about was this BBC interview – which turns out to be for a programme about children being taken from parents who won’t accept that they should be subjected to therapies that could cause them very serious harm, approved on the basis of a study that surely even here must now be accepted as having been completely discredited.

But yesterday was wonderful - don't let anything detract from that.

sarah darwins

I have known the very experienced health journalist from the BBC who is making this programme for many years

This is a serious investigative programme that is looking at the management of children with ME/CFS, child protection issues and controversies surrounding activity management, GET and the PACE trial

That's good to hear. It seems perhaps the problem was that Prof Davis was under the impression he was to be interviewed about his work and was taken aback, understandably, to find himself being asked about child protection issues etc in the UK.

But we've often said that there's a big story here, and from what you way it sounds like someone has cottoned on. Fingers crossed.

I've said quite a few times in PR how I used to be so very impressed by the BBC's investigative reporting, and how now I feel so disgusted and betrayed by them, and ashamed of them.

I think there is something much darker and more sinister going on, and I don't believe this is mere paranoid conspiracy theory. It all starts with the question: why did the DWP part fund the PACE trial, something they have never ever done before or since? I'm sure it's because if you want to avoid paying patients legitimate welfare payments, you must misbrand them as loafers who's illness is all in their heads, and don't want to get better ... because they would then lose welfare payments. So you (whoever 'you' is/are) pulls strings so that a major medical trial gets funded, run by people already identified as sympathetic to the notion of all in the head, and whose careers can be seriously enhanced if they toe the line. It's all about the public purse, and people whose dodgy behaviour is so entrenched in the history of it all, they dare not retreat now.

The SMC is also I'm sure a major tool in this, allowing the lie to continue, and to perpetuate it.

When you have something like this in play, there are some serious power mongers on the field.

The odds are this will be very hard to get objectively reported in the UK - if there is any chance of it being sensibly reported back in the US or elsewhere, that would be fantastic. Maybe even reporting the bizarre interview experience itself!

Personally I think the approach here in the UK is part of a bigger picture which includes a running down of services offered on the NHS. I think there will be/is a move to class a lot of illnesses under the medically unexplained symptoms banner for one reason - to save money. ME/CFS was the dry run and now it will be expanded.
People with endometriosis will be classed as having chronic pelvic pain and prob won't end up being investigated or diagnosed with endo, I know of people with classic autoimmune symptoms not being investigated so they'll be pulled into MUS diagnosis I could go on and on - I heard of someone who had fractures the other day being told it was probably nothing. This is about our health service being run into the ground and the withdrawal of anything but the most basic services. In my mind you cannot separate the story of ME here in the U.K. from that overall political picture.

bullybeef

Do you support taking sick kids away from their parents when they refuse to follow established protocols?

Having reread Janet's post and the BBC journalist's initial question, it does support an investigation into Child Protection Cases - May I ask Dr Shepherd whether Jane Colby/Thymes Trust is also involved?

Obviously, such a opening and probing question is enough to raise the hackles of anyone involved, especially the parent of someone with ME. Perhaps such a question was enough to receive the disgusted responses it deserved, which may have been the point.

If the BBC are really looking into exposing these barbaric, draconian actions occurring in the 21st century, based upon institutionally flawed science/policy, I'm sure Dr Davis & Co replied with the responses and evidence to reinforce how wrong it is.

Good to hear we the outcome of the investigation will be broadcasted soon.

All this being said, we are accustomed to being once bitten, twice shy, however, as much as the media can initiate smear campaigns and easily alter public perception, an honest media, reporting factual science can also save us.

David Tuller is one example.

Barry53

Obviously, such a opening and probing question is enough to raise the hackles of anyone involved, especially the parent of someone with ME. Perhaps such a question was enough to receive the disgusted responses it deserved, which may have been the point.
Yes, it did occur to me after posting yesterday, that a good journalist's interview approach might be to ask off-beat, maybe disturbing, questions in order to get real unaffected responses.

slysaint

I've just checked and I'm a bit puzzled by this whole interview thing. According to this:
InvestinME Research‏@Invest_in_ME Jun 1

InvestinME Research Retweeted OpenMedicine OMF

arranged on the hoof by Invest in ME Research - bringing several researchers to the interview to show real science behind research into ME

InvestinME Research added,

OpenMedicine OMF@OpenMedF
Dr Davis being interviewed by the @BBCNews over lunch! @Invest_in_ME #IiME #MECFS

So the interview was organised by IiME presumably on the understanding it was about the science.

NelliePledge

I've just checked and I'm a bit puzzled by this whole interview thing. According to this:
InvestinME Research‏@Invest_in_ME Jun 1

InvestinME Research Retweeted OpenMedicine OMF

arranged on the hoof by Invest in ME Research - bringing several researchers to the interview to show real science behind research into ME

InvestinME Research added,

OpenMedicine OMF@OpenMedF
Dr Davis being interviewed by the @BBCNews over lunch! @Invest_in_ME #IiME #MECFS

So the interview was organised by IiME presumably on the understanding it was about the science.
Unless I've misremembered I think Janet Dafoe mentioned in her summary that there was also a parent of a child/children with ME involved in the interview

nasim marie jafry

That's good to hear. It seems perhaps the problem was that Prof Davis was under the impression he was to be interviewed about his work and was taken aback, understandably, to find himself being asked about child protection issues etc in the UK.

But we've often said that there's a big story here, and from what you way it sounds like someone has cottoned on. Fingers crossed.

No one more critical than me of the blinkered, shoddy, inflammatory way UK health editors have historically reported on ME, brilliant if someone is finally digging deeper. I can understand Ron Davis must have wondered what on earth was going on with a child protection Q, but the plight of children w ME is scandalous in UK - and crucial that it is finally being addressed. What this thread demonstrates is that we should - none of us - jump to conclusions until we know the full facts. I include myself in this!

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I certainly hope this interview is related to the appalling treatment of children with ME. I live in Scotland where reporting on this issue has been better, but where the BBC on political issues has a terrible reputation for bias, and much lower levels of public trust. So if this reporter is dealing with the issue of the terrible treatment of kids with ME, good on him and his team.

Murph

:)
Having reread Janet's post and the BBC journalist's initial question, it does support an investigation into Child Protection Cases - May I ask Dr Shepherd whether Jane Colby/Thymes Trust is also involved?

Asking a provocative question is often good practice for a journalist.... A good radio reporter needs to record answers delivered with feeling, so adopting a controversial tone of questioning is probably akin to doing your job professionally.

Sure sounds like Ron was provoked! It might have been nice to also set him at ease later that the piece was going to be balanced, if that is the case. I look forward to seeing the final product and judging it on its merits.

slysaint

Unless I've misremembered I think Janet Dafoe mentioned in her summary that there was also a parent of a child/children with ME involved in the interview
Yes, Kjersti Krisner who has three kids with ME who is also an advocate. But this was primarily a conference of scientists......

charles shepherd

If the BBC are really looking into exposing these barbaric, draconian actions occurring in the 21st century, based upon institutionally flawed science/policy, I'm sure Dr Davis & Co replied with the responses and evidence to reinforce how wrong it is.

All this being said, we are accustomed to being once bitten, twice shy, however, as much as the media can initiate smear campaigns and easily alter public perception, an honest media, reporting factual science can also save us.

Yes, I have passed on details for Jane Colby and the Tymes Trust to my colleague at the BBC who is making this programme

The MEA has a close working relationship with JC and TT

The BBC also knows about David Tuller and his critiques of the PACE trial

CS

charles shepherd

Part of the background information relating to the coverage of child protection issues in this programme relates to two meetings at the House of Lords which involved Mrs Isabelle Trowler, Chief Social Worker for Families and Children at the Dept of Education

Minutes for our last meeting in March 2017:

http://www.forward-me.org.uk/14th March 2017.htm

Details for the previous meeting (held in June 2014) are below

Dr Nigel Speight, who is an honorary paediatric adviser to the MEA, was invited to both of these meetings

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

From Minutes for the June 2014 meeting at the House of Lords:

2.Ms Isabelle Trowler (DfE)

2.1 The Chairman welcomed Isabelle Trowler, Chief Social Worker for Families and Children at the Department for Education and Jonathan Bacon, Head of her office.

Ms Trowler explained she had been a children’s Social Worker, mainly in local government, for twenty-five years. Much of her work had been to do with child protection and she had been pressing for change in this area. She had come into her post at DfE recently. The post had been a recommendation of the Monro report (2011). Monro had said that a person with front-line experience was needed. In the event it had been decided there should be two Chief Social Workers, one for children (herself) and another for adults at the Department of Health, with whom she works closely. They spend a lot of time “out and about” talking to social workers and families too.

2.2 Ms Trowler said there had recently been two reviews to do with social work education and training, and she was currently working on the knowledge and skills needed for children’s social work. It appeared that some of those coming out of social work training hadn’t the necessary skills to be effective children’s social workers. A range of measures was being brought in to improve the delivery of statutory social work. The system needed improvement. You could have the most talented social workers but they would not be able to operate effectively in a dysfunctional system. She had spent the last few years leading a “change” programme in a local authority, working with families and CAMHS. She had concerns about “mission creep” and intrusion into families’ lives. She would now be very happy to answer questions.

3.Questions

3.1 Jane Colby asked about Section 47 action. In 1999 she had contributed to a Panorama programme dealing with suspected Munchausen’s Syndrome by proxy. It had become clear there was a skewed picture as far as children with ME were concerned. 120 supposedly were Munchausen’s victims but neither TYMES nor AYME had been able to find this. Something appeared to be going very wrong in leading to these families being suspected.

Mary Jane Willows and Dr Nigel Speight agreed with this. The number of families who felt they were being threatened (not necessarily with Section 47 action) was increasing. For example, if a child had been unable to attend school the parents had been told that “proceedings” would be taken – even in cases where a consultant’s letter had been produced confirming the child’s condition.

Dr Speight said he liked the term “mission creep” and said it was applicable in many areas – for example where parents were accused of not getting treatment for a child when in fact all they had done was to resist the child being subjected to psychiatric tests.

3.2 The Chairman (Countess of Mar) suggested that every social worker should read the paragraphs in the NICE Guidelines and the CMO’s report which say that the parents of a child with ME have the right to refuse any particular form of treatment. It was agreed that right of refusal is spelled out in many communications but it seems to be ignored in many cases (by health, social work, education and other services). Christine Harrison pointed out that her severely affected daughter, Tanya, had fought hard to get the rights of patients included in the Guideline.

3.3 Ms Trowler said one of the problems was that there was no form of central intelligence in social work to pull together local information about child protection matters. She would like to see details of the 120 cases that had been mentioned. This was a matter which perhaps the College of Social Work should take up.

The Chairman said that a few years ago she had written to a Minister supplying details of worried parents who were willing to be interviewed. That was not done, but she was informed the social workers had been interviewed! Could that exercise be completed now? Ms Trowler said that could be considered. It would be necessary to ensure the right methodology was employed.

3.4 Dr Charles Shepherd had brought a copy of the CMO report. He recommended the chapter on children to Ms Trowler. Social services should be aware that medical opinion in this area was divided. As far as he could see each social worker gets a report from just one doctor, and accepts the view of that doctor. He was not clear what education and training social workers received about controversial conditions like ME.

Ms Trowler replied that this was a problematical area and that probably very little was said about specific medical conditions in the initial training of social workers. But that could be covered as they went through their careers and could be taken up with the college.

Dr Shepherd, Dr Speight and Jane Colby suggested they could contribute to this.

Ms Trowler added that she would not wish to see social workers accept just the view of a doctor – they needed to consult more widely than that. Mary Jane Willows pointed out, though, that many people would not overrule a doctor’s decision which often went unchallenged until the matter came to court.

She and Jane Colby added that research done in the 1990s and since showed that ME was the biggest cause of sickness in school children. It had been shown that if these children have home tutoring or are taught in small groups they can do well. This had been dealt with during the passage of the Children and Families Bill, and the DofE had issued guidance about it.

3.5 Mary-Jane Willows and Jane Colby asked whether there was any way that social workers could find out how many children had ME/CFS and how many of them had been subject to Child Protection action. Ms Trowler said she doubted that any detailed information was held on this subject.

Members asked whether the Dof E might conduct a survey, but Dr Speight suggested looking at a few cases rather than doing a mega-survey. Ms Trowler agreed that case review was the best mechanism; where would be the best place for her to start?

The Chairman asked Ms Trowler to get in touch with her in the first place. Ms Trowler added that she would like to examine cases to see if there was evidence of decision-making bias and if so why.

Dr Speight suggested that families where children had ME might be seen as easier targets than “tougher” families with multiple social problems. Ms Trowler agreed that social workers should not spend more time with families than was absolutely necessary. There was some evidence of procrastination.

3.6 The Chairman said that people who had been subject to child protection investigation were not allowed to work with children again. Ms Trowler said she was surprised if all child protection subjects were treated in this way although there were obviously some cases where it would be appropriate.

Christine Harrison added that it was important that social workers were aware that there can be more than one person, including siblings, in a family with ME/CFS and that while one might show some health improvement, another might not – it was important for them to be judged as individuals. ME/CFS was the same as any other long-term condition.

3.7 At this point Ms Trowler had to leave. The Chairman thanked her and asked if she could come back. Ms Trowler said she would be happy to do so after she had been able to look into the subject further.

charles shepherd

The BBC interview is also being discussed on the MEA Facebook page - where Jane Colby has made a contribution

MEA Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/meassociation/

Esther12

My friends’ daughter, now 17, has had cfs since she was about 12. The girl’s father is a senior BBC Radio producer. I’ll send him Janet’s post - perhaps the BBC would like to include the perspective of a senior BBC ‘lifer’ in their programme.

Elle & I loved yesterday’s conference – our first. The number of iconic figures and sheer weight of global brainpower assembled in one room, working together to beat cfs was breath-taking and we left so hopeful - though Elle was so shattered I thought she might pass out on the tube … but she wouldn’t have left before hearing Ron. And Ron was so worth the wait.

That the conference happened in the UK and we could actually be at it was amazing. When we heard the BBC were interviewing Ron it really seemed there might be a light at the end of the nightmare that is cfs in the UK. How naïve. I’ve been at lesser conferences about different matters over the years which have attracted so much more publicity. We had all these world-leading researchers in one easy to reach central London location and it’s not UK news. The only media I heard about was this BBC interview – which turns out to be for a programme about children being taken from parents who won’t accept that they should be subjected to therapies that could cause them very serious harm, approved on the basis of a study that surely even here must now be accepted as having been completely discredited.

But yesterday was wonderful - don't let anything detract from that.

It sounds like Janet's post may have reflected a misunderstanding, so I'd avoid that. Still, always good to raise concerns about the PACE trial and related issues with anyone who may be able to draw attention to it. Maybe the piece on the NYT would be worth sending on?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/opinion/sunday/getting-it-wrong-on-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.html

Last edited:

bullybeef

The BBC interview is also being discussed on the MEA Facebook page - where Jane Colby has made a contribution

MEA Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/meassociation/

Many thanks for reassuring our concerns and the information.

I can appreciate Dr. Davis and our US friends would have naturally been very disconcerted & concerned, but it wouldn't make sense that IiME would have permitted any unnecessary insensitive and antagonising questioning from an invited media.

Perhaps it would've been appropriate for the media to inform the US contingent of their angle first, but maybe they wanted a heated, natural response, as we suggested. Such unbelievable acts are literally foreign to many.

Without going too far off topic, it also beggars belief that children & families continue to be mistreated this way. After the ignorance surrounding the recent "Three Girls" story, and how ignorance by the authorities contributed to their suffering, the Nanny State does seem to interfere when it doesn't concern them, rather than atrocities that should.

The world can backwards sometimes.