1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC coverage of Lynn Gilderdale's death

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Bob, Feb 1, 2010.

1. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the coroner find no evidence of cerebral edema (which occurs in acute dehydration).
    So what caused the dehydration?
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    My own feeling (maybe naive) is not that the media are in cahoots with particular medical factions but that they're interested in selling newspapers/getting lots of viewers and have moved away generally from serious investigative journalism as a way of doing that on all subjects that don't particularly interest them, not just this one. The days of campaigning journalism seem to have gone and newspapers seem to be more for entertainment. Thus there's huge over-focus on Westminster politics (that journos seem to like talking and thinking about) and international affairs (ditto) and celebrity rubbish (that probably bores them but that gets them an audience) and the rest they're not that bothered about.

On the plus side, once the dust settles on XMRV and we get a clear picture of it, if it turns out to cause ME/CFS and it's in the blood supply, we'll be in the papers and on the TV for sure. Medical scare stories (including true ones) are the lifeblood of the media. Lucky us!

Anyway, until that happy (?) day I agree that writing to Panorama asking for a serious look at ME/CFS is a great idea. I will do that too (again!).
  3. froufox

froufox Senior Member

Hi Sasha

No I agree with you - I don't mean they are consciously conspiring with the medical profession as such I think in cahoots was the wrong phrase to use, but it does seem like a kind of "collusion" even if it is not conscious. It really does seem to be all about entertainment these days doesnt it and "churnalism" without proper investigation ... especially the tabloids of course pandering to the lowest common denominator. Anyway fingers crossed our day will come soon! It certainly will be a bittersweet moment!! Lets hope Panorama do consider looking into our case too.
  4. The coroner found renal failure caused by dehydration and an inflamed basal ganglia; that's all I can remember.

Rachel xx
  5. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    This report from the Daily Mash is at the risk of going off on the tangent of assisted suicide, and also at the risk of causing offence to anyone opposed to assisted suicide, or those squeamish about satirising sensitive issues, but what the heck...I don't think it's insensitive and it made be ROFL so I hope it will please you as it did me:-

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...nced-it's-any-of-their-business-201002012428/
  6. Abraxas

Abraxas Senior Member

Good one Mark, made me laugh anyway!
  7. willow

willow Senior Member

East Midlands
    Mark that's a hoot... darkly amusing.

And I agree with the previous debate, why is Lynn's ME diagnosis blindly accepted, isn't anyone asking what caused her symptoms, whether she received tests to i.d. possible infections, biomed imbalances etc, which pharma she was on and whether any of these played a role in her osteoporosis, early menopause etc, why Lynn and her family didn't have practical support etc etc. Who outside of the ME community is appalled, anyone???

Willow
  8. I think the problem is that the Panorama programme used the magic words 'incurable'.
    That's good in one way, because it highlights the seriousness of M.E. but it's also problematic; it makes it seem like there never will be a cure for M.E.

Rachel xx

See more popular forum discussions.