• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bartonella- Dr. B. Robert Mozayeni

Hi everybody! After many years of being diagnosed with CFS, I have been recently tested positive for Bartonella. I think my doctor is a very good practicioner and also, I think the treatment is pretty standard. Now that " I saw the light at the end of the tunnel",though, I do not wanna miss anything! I have heard that Dr. M is the best you can get when it comes to Bartonella. Do you have any feedback? Do you think it is worth to visit him? Thanks a lot in advance for your help!! :)

AFCFS

I do not have personal experience with Dr. M, but just to throw another option out there, may be worthwhile to query Dr. Jemsek's services at the Jemsek Specialty Clinic. I also have no personal experience with him, but I did have a doctor suggest him for possible Lyme/Tic borne illness. Since you may be considering Dr. M in Rockville, MD, Dr. Jemsek seems relatively close by; I believe he is in DC.

acer2000

Which species of Bartonella did you test positive for? I'm curious what Dr. M's proposed treatment would be.

Thanks guys for your responses. I do not know what species I am positive in, my doctor told me there are 23 species of Bartonella and mine was one of the 21 that are most uncommon.....

soxfan

I have been treating bartonella off and on for 5 years...I,was recently re infected again and going through it again. I can't seem to get rid of it. I am curious as to what you will be treating it with..I was recently on rifampin and factive.

soxfan

I am going to be retested in 2 weeks and see if it is still active. The treatment has been tough so I actually quit so I can retest..having it done through arup and also galaxy.

Vojta

I'm most likely infected by bartonella too. I have just received PCR test result which was in grey zone. According prof. Meirleir I likely have some uncommon strain. I'm negative in current serology test.
I can't help you with US docs but I'm also curious how it is treated elsever.
I'm going to begin antibiotic treatment asap.

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
I'm most likely infected by bartonella too. I have just received PCR test result which was in grey zone. According prof. Meirleir I likely have some uncommon strain. I'm negative in current serology test.
I can't help you with US docs but I'm also curious how it is treated elsever.
I'm going to begin antibiotic treatment asap.
Hi Votja,

Which lab has test you positive? Redlab or an other one? And how many time did you wait to have the result?
What kind of treatment did KDM propose?
I am interested because, I just did the test for the second time ( first I was negative, but he think, it was maybe a false negative...)

Have a nice day and a happy new year

Clodomir

Vojta

Hi Votja,

Which lab has test you positive? Redlab or an other one? And how many time did you wait to have the result?
What kind of treatment did KDM propose?
I am interested because, I just did the test for the second time ( first I was negative, but he think, it was maybe a false negative...)

Have a nice day and a happy new year

Clodomir

Hi Clodomir,
it was PCR test for Bartonella sent to Redlabs but on the result there is remark that the test was done at University in Liege by GIGA sequencing. I found out GIGA is research institut. It lasted 2 months.
This should be some new test because I was negative by PCR done in Redlabs in the past too.
This new result was "grey zone" with normal range "negative". I don't know what it exactly means. But in the report is that it is likely uncommon bartonella strain. Proposed treatment is
zithromycin and Rifampicin for 8 weeks. But I was taking azithro alone and with doxy few times before with no effect.

Happy new year.

Lala

I am on strong bartonella combo too for a long time and I can't seem to get rid of it either. Tested positive for henselae and quitana. Two months of treatment are joke for chronic people.

Lala

I have been treating bartonella off and on for 5 years...I,was recently re infected again and going through it again. I can't seem to get rid of it. I am curious as to what you will be treating it with..I was recently on rifampin and factive.

What dose and for how long have you been taking?

soxfan

Treating Henselae as well. I was on 600mg Rifampin twice daily and one Factive 320mg. I am being retested next week because I am not totally convinced I still have active infection and not just permanent damage.....

Lala

Treating Henselae as well. I was on 600mg Rifampin twice daily and one Factive 320mg. I am being retested next week because I am not totally convinced I still have active infection and not just permanent damage.....
That´s a lot!

soxfan

Yes...it was brutal. That is why I wanted the re-test. If I am going to go through the treatment I want to be fairly certain it will do some good!

Lala

I am on mino, azi, rifa, art and still symptomatic. I do not test anymore as tests are notoriously unreliable here.

acer2000

FWIW I took 9 months of Rifampin and Zithromax for a positive Bartonella Vinsonii subs. Berkoffi infection about 2 years ago. Previously, Zithromax made me feel better. The treatment did make some of my cytokines calm down, but I didn't really feel much better. Its not clear that I was treated correctly though. I have been contemplating getting another opinion to try to get a better understanding of this issue.

I guys,I am doing fine. Still with symptoms but improving step by step...how come I did not receive any notifications until now??! I may have the settings wrong or something.....