• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Banana intolerance

melamine

Another thing I was thinking of is that they gas ripen fruits these days. So even though it's "ripe" it may have been sped up prematurely and still contains higher amounts of minerals/vitamins/amino acids/etc that a ripened banana might not have?

or lower or unbalanced amounts? Even so, with something like bananas one would probably expect the level of artificial ripening to be fairly constant.

On the subject of catecholamines, here is something I found on Dr Kaslow site that I lack expertise to evaluate:

• Since the largest source of neurotransmitters is the gastrointestinal tract, dysfunction as discussed above could be a major contributory component. This would include congestive bowel toxicity, Candida/yeast overgrowth conditions, increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut syndrome), IBS, & inflammatory bowel.
  • John A. Allocca, M.D. lists a variety of additional mechanisms by which neurotransmitters are lost: ingestion of various food allergens or sensitivities, inhalation or ingestion of various chemicals, chemical sensitivities, rapid changes in hormone levels, rapid changes in barometric pressure, head cold or sinus congestion, rapid changes in blood sugars, dehydration, inadequate exposure to sunlight (hence the excessive conversion of serotonin to melatonin), and hepatobiliary dysfunction. These remarks may be based on the precipitation of migraines, which Dr. Allocca assumes to always be related to serotonin imbalance.

Wouldn't ingesting a large portion of a single high fructose/glucose food in particular, be expected to produce rapid shifts of some sort? Except that it still fails to explain differences in tolerance under the same conditions.

Gondwanaland

Except that it still fails to explain differences in tolerance under the same conditions.
At some point the bananas themselves might have shifted something in the gut. Plus inflammation is a cummulative process. It happened to me before that bananas became a major trigger for rosacea. Right now I can eat one banana daily with no sypmtoms though.

Vegas

This may relate to accumulation of the serotonin catabolite, 5-HIAA and its effect on 5-HIAA/serotonin ratios. So you have no problems with pineapple, kiwi, eggplant, avocado, walnuts, coffee, etc.?

5-HIAA is strongly positively correlated with depression, but there are some tissue specific discrepancies. Perhaps you could take a look what I wrote about endotoxin do to indoleamine 2-3 dioxygenase (see IDO below) and how this shifts tryptophan synthesis over to the kynurenine pathway. 5-HIAA is 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is on the other side. I think you can deduce what sort of an effect a serotonin catabolite might have on serotonin.

images

Really though, much of the evidence about HIAA abnormalites points towards the gut, malabsorption and a role for our microbes that contribute to this picture. Endotoxin exposure increases 5- HIAA concentrations.

All of this is likely associated with global inhibition of aromatic amino acid hydroxylases, phenylalanine hydroxylase, tyrosine hydroxylase, and tryptophan hydroxylase. Obviously this would effect tyrosine, dopamine, NE, tryptophan, etc. As you know, these would be stimulated by a limiting co-factor in BH4 synthesis would stimulate this and might counteract inhibited neurotransmitter synthesis.

I suppose if you ate a handful of black walnuts, this might be provocative. I wouldn't recommend this. Have you ever taken Artemisinin/Wormwod? Sorry, I'm just brainstorming.

Gondwanaland

@Vegas I am trying to link everything you posted to my SNPs...
accumulation of the serotonin catabolite
How does this relates to MAO-A +/+ (impairment of serotonin breakdown)? Phenylalanine is poison to me.
these would be stimulated by a limiting co-factor in BH4 synthesis would stimulate this and might counteract inhibited neurotransmitter synthesis.
Could not understand this phrase... Trying to link to the fact that several of my SNPs converge to BH4 deficeincy...
Artemisinin/Wormwod
What about it?

Tunguska

Finally got over banana depression, and back to stranger recent depression (different from regular depression). depression depression depression

This may relate to accumulation of the serotonin catabolite, 5-HIAA and its effect on 5-HIAA/serotonin ratios. So you have no problems with pineapple, kiwi, eggplant, avocado, walnuts, coffee, etc.?

Myself, haven't had any of those recently, save for kiwi, was fine.

I suppose if you ate a handful of black walnuts, this might be provocative. I wouldn't recommend this. Have you ever taken Artemisinin/Wormwod? Sorry, I'm just brainstorming.

Myself, ditched herbs before getting to those, so no.

5-HIAA is strongly positively correlated with depression, but there are some tissue specific discrepancies. Perhaps you could take a look what I wrote about endotoxin do to indoleamine 2-3 dioxygenase (see IDO below) and how this shifts tryptophan synthesis over to the kynurenine pathway. 5-HIAA is 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid is on the other side. I think you can deduce what sort of an effect a serotonin catabolite might have on serotonin.

images

Really though, much of the evidence about HIAA abnormalites points towards the gut, malabsorption and a role for our microbes that contribute to this picture. Endotoxin exposure increases 5- HIAA concentrations.

All of this is likely associated with global inhibition of aromatic amino acid hydroxylases, phenylalanine hydroxylase, tyrosine hydroxylase, and tryptophan hydroxylase. Obviously this would effect tyrosine, dopamine, NE, tryptophan, etc. As you know, these would be stimulated by a limiting co-factor in BH4 synthesis would stimulate this and might counteract inhibited neurotransmitter synthesis.

That's very interesting, I get the general idea though I don't following everything about 5-HIAA. So a L-Tryptophan supplement is a bad idea if this is happening. Which I have and doesn't do much good for me no matter dosage.

But what about cutting dietary tryptophan and consuming only 5-htp? Would that force it down serotonin synthesis and minimize the kynurenic acid and side effects? Or do you still end up with too much 5-HIAA and that has a negative effect on its own? Did this conversation already happen?

I imagine this could also play into my other forms of depression. For banana depression it would have to happen quickly and harshly.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

@Tunguska on a related note, I just recently listened to Datis Kharrazian at the Autoimmune Summit and he said that latex is a powerful negative influence in autoimmune thyroiditis. I can certainly testify for it. Do you have a thyroid condition?

Tunguska

Good question, I haven't been tested for thyroid antibodies yet. Other parameters were not too bad.