1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bains Dérivatifs--Cold Water Therapy

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Asklipia, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I am a really big chicken about cold water, so am filing this for future reference. Does time of day make any difference in sleep improvement?
  2. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

I've found it best longer term not to take a cold bath, shower or swim too close to bedtime. Earlier on I found the baths knocked me out cold ;) and late evening was fine, but after I started responding to them more like a healthy/fit person I found them more stimulating.
    It can take a while to warm up afterwards and feel comfortable. This improves after a while.
    I aim for the middle of the day to mid afternoon and that seems to work well for me.
    HTH.
  3. john66

john66 Senior Member

Jack Kruse has a website about cold therapy. He is a nuerosurgeon who used it to lose lots of weight. In one of his many blogs, he describes how to do it safely with a skin temp thermometer. Glad you have found something that helps. J
    anne_likes_red likes this.
  4. Artstu

Artstu Senior Member

UK
  5. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

I used Dr Kruse's protocol, but I was only functioning at around 30% when I started so had to approach it extra carefully.
    Where he suggests you might adapt to cold in 2 weeks I'm guessing he's talking about someone with a certain level of fitness. It took 5 weeks before I was getting intermittent signs of cold hardiness. By 12 weeks I was sweet. :)
    I did get improved, more refreshing sleep from the get go though..and thats what motivated me to continue.
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  6. Gemma

Gemma

Note: This post and the following 8 posts were split from the thread:
    The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

...and merged into this existing thread on cold therapy.

Have you become more Resistant to cold after including some Resistant starches into you diet?

Perhaps it is time for cold therapy, or even Cryotherapy?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  7. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    Huh?
  8. shah78

shah78 Senior Member

st pete , florida
    I do cold therapy seven to ten hours a week. Methylation support made me more resistant to cold. I didn't notice an additional "bump" from the RS et al. when I started that three months later. IMHO I can't see how it couldn't help it though. Like Freddd says about Methylation: "Everthing is better". So too with PS et al.: "Everything is better". I just couldn't notice it.
  9. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

Yes, but we were quite resistant to cold before that. RS seems to warm us deeply.
    We use Bains Dérivatifs regularly. I have started a thread on it two years ago. Not very popular unfortunately.
    Gemma likes this.
  10. Gemma

Gemma

From wiki:
    Asklipia likes this.
  11. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Cryogenic chamber? What's wrong with just taking a cold shower?
  12. Gemma

Gemma

How cold is your cold shower?

13. Vegas

Vegas Senior Member

Virginia
    Unfortunately, cold stress also requires a massive energy expenditure as part of an attempt to raise body temperature. It results in the depletion of lipids, glycogen, and glutathione in the liver. I don't think most people realize how taxing cold stress can be.
    Gestalt, Valentijn and Sidereal like this.
  14. Gemma

Gemma

Seems Asklipia has already explored it 2 years ago, after trying out and refusing Cold Thermogenesis protocol, and promoted healing effects of Bains Dérivatifs.

Worth mentioning another vagus stimulation technique here: oil pulling with sesame oil. It is a very powerful tool too.

See more popular forum discussions.