• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bad reaction to magnesium

alice111

Hi all,

So i'm a little perplexed about what to make of my recent reactions to magnesium. I am aware that sometimes things that are helping you can make you feel worse at first, and I am also aware that magnesium can make one sleepy. I have recently had tests show that I am deficient in magnesium so I have tried to supplement it. My question is how do you know if its just not working for you, or if you should "tough it out"?

Magnesium cream, and now through IV have both made me very very tired. I feel more dizzy, and I have had this strange weakness in my legs. After this last IV my legs actually gave out underneath me! I have also had this hot/flushed feeling in my head and face when lying down.

Given that I already have low blood pressure, and problems with a lack of vasoconstriction would it not be bad to take magnesium since it both lowers blood pressure and causes vasodilation??

I know I need to get my magnesium up, but so far it has only made my energy worse.. :(
any insight, experience or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Misfit Toy

Hi, I can't do the magnesium at all by way of IV. It makes me tired too and dizzy. I would recommend the spray, Ancient Minerals Magnesium at night or magnesium by KAL from Vitamin Shoppe. That one really helps me because I too have magnesium issues. Sometimes, it will wake me up at 4 am to go to the bathroom. NO GOOD. So, these 2 products have helped me. It also has calcium in in, the KAL product. The spray is also really great.

You should check out the magnesium advocacy group on face book. Or go to Dr. Carolyn Dean she is one of the foremost experts on all things magnesium, she is also a member of the magnesium advocacy group and will be happy to answer any and all questions you may have regarding magnesium supplements when asked questions on face book, imagine free advise from the expert on magnesium supplements. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagnesiumAdvocacy/ There are many people there that will be happy to help you. I am a member and the information about magnesium supplements coming out of this group is amazing. Dr. Carolyn Dean has her own magnesium supplement product is 100 percent absorbed and does not cause diarea it goes to work at the cellular level. It is called ReMag and can be found here: http://www.rnadrops.info/products/remag but for answers about the tired feeling and other problems you may be experiencing with magnesium supplements I encourage you to check out the magnesium advocacy group. There are over 1600 + members in the group now.