• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad reaction to flu shot

Dainty

I do not take any flu shots or vaccines. My doctors don't mention it, and I don't bring it up. I know those with immune problems are the most likely to have reactions to them, and I'd quite frankly prefer dealing with the flu over dealing with an unknown reaction to something messing up my immune system in an unnatural way.

The closest personal experience I have is when I was getting allergy shots. This was when I was still high functioning with my CFS. After every shot I would go home and immediately sleep for 18 hours straight or longer, waking only briefly to get water and food before barely making it back to bed, fully exhausted, and instantly falling asleep again. Each time I thought it was a fluke until I noticed, hey, it's only happening after I get an allergy shot. I asked the allergy doctor about it and she said there was no chance there was any connection. I kept getting the shots, week after week, and it would always knock me out for two days. The doctor insisted it wasn't the shots. Finally I just said "no more" and that was that - coincidentally, the 18 hour blocks of sleep stopped happening after that! :p

For vaccines it isn't jsut the dead or live virus they give you....it also includes certain chemicals meant to basically stimulate your immune system to pay attention to it, or at least that's my understanding. So it manipulates your immune system in an unnatural way. If you already have a dysfunctional immune system, it's little wonder that it doesn't respond well to these kinds of things.

Thank you for sharing his information. I have not had a flu shot because I was afraid of injection anything more into my system. I am sorry you had such a terrible reaction.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have looked up the ingredients and they are not good for me. I can't speak for anyone else and what they need to do. We are all different.

paddygirl

This thread made me think of something I was reading today. I believe it was Dr Cheney's report on the XMRV conference last week. On the homepage?

He was talking about the macques (?) that were infected with XMRV. He said that the virus disappeared from the blood quite quickly and hid out in various organs. They were then given a bolus of something resembling virus and the XMRV came out of hiding and became very virulant, there was also some mention of how allergies might stimulate the virus, as the bronchial tree was a resevoir of the virus. Hope my understanding of this is correct but it's as if the XMRV feeds on other viruses, as well as androgen. It would make sense then if shots made us feel worse. Theres an idea, take a flu shot to lure the XMRV out of hiding and back to the blood.

You can tell the only science I did at school was domestic science, and I still can't knit socks x
Paddy

Boule de feu

This thread made me think of something I was reading today. I believe it was Dr Cheney's report on the XMRV conference last week. On the homepage?

He was talking about the macques (?) that were infected with XMRV. He said that the virus disappeared from the blood quite quickly and hid out in various organs. They were then given a bolus of something resembling virus and the XMRV came out of hiding and became very virulant, there was also some mention of how allergies might stimulate the virus, as the bronchial tree was a resevoir of the virus. Hope my understanding of this is correct but it's as if the XMRV feeds on other viruses, as well as androgen. It would make sense then if shots made us feel worse. Theres an idea, take a flu shot to lure the XMRV out of hiding and back to the blood.

You can tell the only science I did at school was domestic science, and I still can't knit socks x
Paddy

The word you are looking for is macaque, a pretty little monkey.

I think you explained it very well. =-)

I believe what happens is the fact that the new threat must be dealt with and the immune system can't keep up or the XMRVs need these new "guests" and use them to start their rampage. Actually, this is my opinion and I'm probably wrong. Science is complicated, so it can't be as simple as this.

Anything that could make the fragile equilibrium tip over would activate the XMRVs. (a vaccine, a surgery, stress, etc.)

ukme

Yep me too. The only time I ever got a flu shot I got pneumonia a while later..

soxfan

Just want you all to know that I only had flu symptoms for about 24 hours..no it wasn't fun but I did survive. I didn't have a crash afterwards or any other effects. So I do think it was a good idea for me to have had one especially where I am visiting my father in law and work in a public setting. I would have rather had 24 hours than anything much worse.
I did speak with my doctor about it and he told me that many of his patients are having very similar reactions...so I still say if you are going to be around high risk people then it might be a good idea to get it. There is no way I wanted to risk my father in law or anybody else living in the facility...i made the correct choice.

I was referring to your post where you said:

I remember the year I refused to have one. My GP wrote down in his notes
(and this was sent to my insurance company, later):
"My patient refuses to have her flu shots even though we advised her to have them."

I clicked "reply" right under that post, expecting my reply to go there. But if my reply still doesn't make sense, consider that I had a bad reaction to a flu shot two weeks ago and my increased cognitive dysfunction is still with me. Seriously. :confused::

"My patient refuses to have her flu shots even though we advised her to have them."

I clicked "reply" right under that post, expecting my reply to go there. But if my reply still doesn't make sense, consider that I had a bad reaction to a flu shot two weeks ago and my increased cognitive dysfunction is still with me. :confused:::eek:

Boule de feu

I clicked "reply" right under that post, expecting my reply to go there. But if my reply still doesn't make sense, consider that I had a bad reaction to a flu shot two weeks ago and my increased cognitive dysfunction is still with me. Seriously. :confused::

LOL - I think I'm the one who is suffering from a cognitive/memory problem, right now.