• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bad reaction to acai powder

suzanne

Has anyone else had any adverse reactins to acai powder?

It is pure freeze dried- no additives.

My husband ordered it and I decided to take some as i thought it would be pretty safe. i took the full scoop day one and same day 2. I had bad headaches and increased nausea symptoms the day after the first dose. I took another dose this morning not linking the cleansing type reactions to the newly added acai. i just thought I was having some bad days on 'Fredd's' protocol ( 14 weeks of feeling pretty bad- taking 1250 mg mb12 and 600mg solgar). I increased my dose of mb12 2 weeks ago from 1000 to 1250 nd I am really struggling- I will go back down to 1000 if I dont feel better soon. I have even toyed with the idea of having a day off the m b12 but i am not sure if that is a good idea or not. I have terrible itchy skin ( worse than it was before I started this protocol) and quite bd headaches and nausea. I am still taking charcoal 3 teaspoons twice a day but I am itching like crazy again. Mybe not helped by the recent doses of acai?

I am intending to stop the acai as I did not expect it to cause me difficulties. I have now read that it can "detoxify" the body- don't really know what that means but it has caused me severe nausea and worse head pain than usual.

Any one else have any experience with this?

CAcfs

From what I read, some people are actually allergic to it, in the same way someone can be allergic to certain fruits or pollens. Even the websites will say that a very small percentage get issues on it. I have heard of some people getting hives from acai, in the reviews on iherb.com. So maybe you are just allergic, even if you aren't getting hives. I would stop taking it.

Anyone know more about acai? I am considering taking it because it's supposed to give energy, and I did drink some Acai tea with green tea, that was helping me a lot above and beyond what normal green tea does for me.

But for you, I'd stop!

globalpilot

I've been taking 1 scoop for several months now with no adverse effects. I'd stop for a few days if I were having a reaction, confirm that's what it is.

CAcfs

Update: that Now brand Acai from iherb.com (pills) seems to be giving me energy! I have much more pep in my step on the days that I take it. I just take two in the morning....on a sorta empty stomach (coffee, snacks sometimes). I am actually really encouraged by this. Not many things help me. I notice the effects most when doing physical activity...I feel more energized on my walks thanks to Acai.

suzanne

It is interesting tht the acai is giving you energy.

I have stopped and srated and trilled lowerdoses- it all seems to make my headches and nausea worse- itch too.

I m now experimenting with a tablet called super fruites which is a blend of acai, mangosttten, goji and pomegranate. I am only taking 1/8 tablet very 2nd day. I have more energy too, but still notice an increase in headache and nausea and itch. i dont believe it is an allergic reaction (how could I be allergc to all super fruits?)

I think my reaction is due to candida- it is said that the super fruits are anti fungal. So, as I know I have a problem with candida I am just going to push on at this ridiculously small dose and see if I get better in the next onth or so. I do notice that when i feel really unwell, if I take charcaol it does help, so makes sense it may be dealing with the candida- I hope so. I have never been able to deal with this issue. And if I get more on top of the candida, i may be able to do some Andy Cutler style mercury detox don the track- t the moment the cutler protocol causes me too much grief.

Freddd

My husband ordered it and I decided to take some as i thought it would be pretty safe. i took the full scoop day one and same day 2. I had bad headaches and increased nausea symptoms the day after the first dose. I took another dose this morning not linking the cleansing type reactions to the newly added acai. i just thought I was having some bad days on 'Fredd's' protocol ( 14 weeks of feeling pretty bad- taking 1250 mg mb12 and 600mg solgar). I increased my dose of mb12 2 weeks ago from 1000 to 1250 nd I am really struggling- I will go back down to 1000 if I dont feel better soon. I have even toyed with the idea of having a day off the m b12 but i am not sure if that is a good idea or not. I have terrible itchy skin ( worse than it was before I started this protocol) and quite bd headaches and nausea. I am still taking charcoal 3 teaspoons twice a day but I am itching like crazy again. Mybe not helped by the recent doses of acai?

I am intending to stop the acai as I did not expect it to cause me difficulties. I have now read that it can "detoxify" the body- don't really know what that means but it has caused me severe nausea and worse head pain than usual.

Hi Suzanne

Headaches, nausea and itching; all three are symtpoms of low potassium whic is something commonly triggered by taking mb12. The acai could actually be making it worse by supplying nutirents that help you heal better. I don't know if it does, just that anything that inproves healing will worsen the low potassium symptoms.

CAcfs

suzanne,

You said Acai is in the new supplement you are taking as well. So my guess is that it is still the Acai. As I mentioned, it is fairly common for SOME people to have a negative reaction to it, and even websites selling Acai alert people to that. Kind of like pears make some peoples' throats itch. I bet that is what it is. I wouldn't take anything with Acai if I were you. I am wondering if the Acai is helping me due to its effects on NO. Xymogen makes something called Mitochondrial Renewal Kit, and in it there is something called NO Max ER. Maybe something like that would work? I dunno. My point is, there are probably other ways to get the benefits I am getting from Acai, without Acai specifically. But for me, the Acai seems to be a cheap way to get these benefits.

Freddd

Hi Suzzane,

Can you describe all the problems that have increased since starting mb12 and Metafolin and what else? Cut the acai and lets elliminate it from cionsideration here and solve this if we canb.

suzanne

Hi all,
I have been on mb12 and solgar/ douglas B for 5 and half months. I have in the last few days increased my dose of mb2 from 1250 to 1500 a day and have had the usual increased headpain and nausea. my m folate dose is 600mg a day.

I recently had the potassium blood test and the result was 4.3. It seems to vary over time, etween 3.7 ( 2 years ago) and 3.8 when I started the protocol.

I have stopped the acai for now s it makes me feel worse. I had experimented with all the super fruits by themselves ( mangosteen, goji, noni and pomegranate) They ll give me intense headache and nausea. Sometimes increased itch. I am sure it is not an alery to them all- but something else- just not sure what.

interesting theory fredd , that a low potassium problem may affect my capacity to handle the "healing" super fruits. I had a scary moment last week 9 a few times) where a very small dose of pomegranate had me vomitting a few hours later- not like me at all.

In terms of the symptoms made worse since Mb12 and m folate. really all my pre existing sysmptoms are worse - except my energy level and feeling of being more available and vital- almost an improved capacity to be alert and in the present. The things that have got worse again are migranes ( back to every other day) and for the first few weeks on the protocol the migraines improved. I have very bad headpain. Itchy skin is variable but never goes away- and it is a feeling of itchy skin all over- under the skin, and nothing relieves it. I did not have nausea before this protocol but now it comes in waves every day. Charcoal helps to relieve the nausea and itch a little- at least it is more tolerabe when I take charcoal- 3 teaspoons 3 times a day.

Someone here suggested i trial clacium d glutarate for my migraines- I took a miniscule dose and the headaches, nausea and itchy skin was intolerable- I persisted for about 2 weeks and then gave it up asi felt too bad and the dose was seriously tiny.

I will go out and buy some lite salt as i have not tried that yet- the various potassiums cause me too much GI disress.

i had some muscle twitching today and have increased my celery seed extract from 3 tabets twice a day to now 6 tablets twice a day. This is meant to be really high in potassium.

Any ideas about what is happening- should I be feeling better by now?
Oh, I trialled some alpha lipoic acid the other day- 300mg slow release- you guessed it. the headches and nausea were extreme- i took a whole lot of charcoal and then no more ALA!

many thanks for your help, Suzanne

Freddd

Hi all,
I have been on mb12 and solgar/ douglas B for 5 and half months. I have in the last few days increased my dose of mb2 from 1250 to 1500 a day and have had the usual increased headpain and nausea. my m folate dose is 600mg a day.

I recently had the potassium blood test and the result was 4.3. It seems to vary over time, etween 3.7 ( 2 years ago) and 3.8 when I started the protocol.

I have stopped the acai for now s it makes me feel worse. I had experimented with all the super fruits by themselves ( mangosteen, goji, noni and pomegranate) They ll give me intense headache and nausea. Sometimes increased itch. I am sure it is not an alery to them all- but something else- just not sure what.

interesting theory fredd , that a low potassium problem may affect my capacity to handle the "healing" super fruits. I had a scary moment last week 9 a few times) where a very small dose of pomegranate had me vomitting a few hours later- not like me at all.

In terms of the symptoms made worse since Mb12 and m folate. really all my pre existing sysmptoms are worse - except my energy level and feeling of being more available and vital- almost an improved capacity to be alert and in the present. The things that have got worse again are migranes ( back to every other day) and for the first few weeks on the protocol the migraines improved. I have very bad headpain. Itchy skin is variable but never goes away- and it is a feeling of itchy skin all over- under the skin, and nothing relieves it. I did not have nausea before this protocol but now it comes in waves every day. Charcoal helps to relieve the nausea and itch a little- at least it is more tolerabe when I take charcoal- 3 teaspoons 3 times a day.

Someone here suggested i trial clacium d glutarate for my migraines- I took a miniscule dose and the headaches, nausea and itchy skin was intolerable- I persisted for about 2 weeks and then gave it up asi felt too bad and the dose was seriously tiny.

I will go out and buy some lite salt as i have not tried that yet- the various potassiums cause me too much GI disress.

i had some muscle twitching today and have increased my celery seed extract from 3 tabets twice a day to now 6 tablets twice a day. This is meant to be really high in potassium.

Any ideas about what is happening- should I be feeling better by now?
Oh, I trialled some alpha lipoic acid the other day- 300mg slow release- you guessed it. the headches and nausea were extreme- i took a whole lot of charcoal and then no more ALA!

many thanks for your help, Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

If you need a lot of potassium, and I consider my needs as a lot, about 1800mg a day from supplements to not always be on the edge, but close, isn't going to be filled by anythiong except direct potassium supplements. Symptoms like this can be either potassium or induced folate deficiency or in some circumstances, both. Do you take folic acid, folinic acid, glutathione, whey, NAC or any intentional glutathione precursors? At 4.3 I can go into spasms and itching in one day without enough potassium. At 3.7 I would be on the floor screaming in pain from uncontrollable spasming. You need to find some sources of potassium you can take that are not a distress on your stomach so your stomach can heal so it isn't so sensitive to things.

suzanne

Hi Fredd,

I dont take any of: folinic acid, folic acid, whey NAC or glutahione. They all ake me feel really bad ( I tried them a year or more ago - NAC only took it once and glutathine and whey for a few days) Whey stopped my migraine for a few weeks but I felt so horrible with nausea and head pain that I stopped, Glutathione made me feel the same- i am cautious to not supplement with any of the things you have mentioned.

I will ask around and see if someone else who is sensitive to potassium due to gut reasons - can suggest a source i might tolerate- I have tried every different sort on the market- all cause intense burning.

I will try the lite salt- at least a start.

An update on the increase in the MB12 from 1250 to 1500. Day 3 and I feel increasingly bad! Rotten headpain and migraines every day nearly. Ithy is a bit better. aves of nausea too.

Dont know what else to do. I am taking m folate at a dose of 600mg total a day.

Thanks for following up with me. I am trying to just grit my teeth and hang in there

Suzanne