Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bad CFS Article on Yahoo Health News Today

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Carrigon, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
  2. maddietod

maddietod Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    It's easiest for the "news" media to copy what they read on other sites. Investigation? Costs money, requires intelligence.

3. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    These articles are everywhere!m

My dad brought me one article he found in LE JOURNAL DE MONTREAL (Quebec newspaper) entitled:

Chronic fatigue: A mouse retrovirus is not causing the illness

It says that Dr Jay Levy is the one drawing this conclusion.

It's probably coming from this article:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110531/ap_on_he_me/us_med_chronic_fatigue
    Pretty similar.

4. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    IMO, it has NOT been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that XMRV is not the cause of CFIDS/ME, and these articles are all gossip rag material. But it's amazing how much the media will just not stop stepping on us at every chance they get.

5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Uh, it never was proven or stated by any research that XMRV WAS the cause, so how can you say that it's proven NOT to the cause?

The only thing ever stated was that XMRV was associated with CFS. In that case, you could say that XMRV is not associated with CFS and that's it. Anything else is crap.

6. justinreilly

justinreilly Senior Member

NYC (& RI)
    It hasn't been shown that HGRVs are unassociated with ME or don't cause ME. But assuming it were shown that HGRVs are unassociated with ME, as Coffin wrongly claims, then that would imply lack of causation.

7. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    Regardless of whether or not XMRV is a cause, the point of these horrible articles always seems to be to make us sound bad. Screaming the awful "Chronic Fatigue" name and then screaming, "Guess what, there's still no proof these people aren't crazy", that seems to be the point every time they do these articles. And I can't believe after all these years we are still seeing this.

See more popular forum discussions.