Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

bacterial infection detector

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by ruben, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ruben

ruben

suffolk
    I think this may have been mentioned else where. On BBC last week a programme called "The doctor who gave up drugs" spoke about a gadget which detects if a person has a bacterial infection. Does anyone know if this is easily readily available.

2. Izola

Izola Senior Member

How is it supposed to work?

3. ruben

ruben

suffolk
    The doctor in the programme said the machine measures inflammation markers in the blood. It made me think about where someone said that KDM found 90% of people he saw had a bacterial infection.

Izola likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

The test is almost certainly the c-reactive protein blood test which is one of the most routine blood tests. But the results are usually normal in ME/CFS.

MEMum, trishrhymes and Izola like this.
  5. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    Yes it was and from memory I think he said that if it was over a certain figure it could indicate infection. Not sure but it might have been 10 on the meter.

Pam

6. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Thank you, I was wondering about it too. It's so helpful to have medical input on things like this, otherwise threads can end up with endless speculation.

MEMum likes this.
  7. ruben

ruben

suffolk
    Yes, the initials were CRP, and I think they said a reading over 20 indicated a bacterial infection. I was just wondering then how KDM found 90% of us had a bacterial infection.

MEMum likes this.
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

My CRP was high, the one time it was tested. Dutch doctors didn't seem interested.

MEMum likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.