1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bacteria 'bricklayer' protein set for attack

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sushi, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27907461

rosie26, SOC, Waverunner and 8 others like this.
  2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Sushi
    sounds fascinating, it seems to take so long though for these things to get from the science lab into useable drugs:(

3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Bumping this for others here who're interested in bacteria. It's late and I can't remember who right now. Lol. Tc .. x

rosie26 likes this.
  4. xchocoholic

Florida
    Bumping this once more. X

alex3619 likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This may give us the edge for a few more decades. It wont last though, at least I don't think it can. Picking highly conserved targets is good though ... these are things that cannot change without becoming less optimal.

xchocoholic likes this.
  6. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi @alex3619

Glad you saw this.

I thought you may have some thoughts on the
    LptDE protein. They're calling it the bricklayer that pulls up the lipopolysaccharide blocks from inside the bacterium to insert
    Them in the cell wall. That was said about 1/2 way down. Sorry I can't provide the quote.

I don't understand this but is the cell wall the same as a biofilm ?

I can't add to these discussions but I enjoy reading them.

Tx .. x

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    rosie26 likes this.
  7. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

"Researchers tell the journal Nature that drugs can now be developed to interfere with this LptDE protein...."

As maryb has pointed out, that is the problem. It will take 12-15 years till such a drug could get approved but 99% of findings don't get transformed into anything at all. Please notice when scientists end their studies with "could, should, may lead, be used, lay ground to new treatment.". This is desperation and wishful thinking. Scientists somehow hope, that somebody picks up their ideas, spends 800 million to 5 billion dollars and has 12-15 years in order to get a drug approved. This is not the case. What pharma companies prefer to do is use old drugs or mechanisms, improve them, file new patents and sell the new drugs for triple the price. True innovations rare to non-existent.

See more popular forum discussions.