Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bacopa

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by kaffiend, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kaffiend

kaffiend Senior Member

California
    I seem to be having some improvement in cognition & working memory with bacopa monnieri. It's inexpensive and there's a fair amount of research on it, considering it's a supplement. I do cognitive training games a few days a week and the scores have improved noticeably. I've also been finding myself doing my work lately (programming, analysis of neuroimaging data).

The interesting part is that I can still crash the next day from doing too much mental work, only the crash doesn't affect my cognition nearly as much. So, it's a bit of a double edged sword.

pattismith likes this.
  2. leaves

leaves Senior Member

great to hear that! how much are you taking?

3. kaffiend

kaffiend Senior Member

California
    Two 200mg pills; one with breakfast and one after lunch. I don't notice anything in particular, such as feeling more awake or alert as one might feel with coffee. So, I don't think it has a stimulant effect. I just find myself making simple decisions more normally, such as pressing the buttons on the microwave instead of staring at them and wondering why I'm there in the first place.

pattismith likes this.
  4. maz

maz

Folkestone UK
    Did bacopa continue to help? Also, was your sleep affected or do you not have any sleep issues in the first place? So many supplements make my insomnia worse!

5. happy

happy

I've been taking bacopa for more than a year now, it helps me focus at work and with general cognition like original poster mentioned. I used to take ginko biloba with it and it was a fantastic combo, but unfortunately I don't tolerate that anymore.

I take 3 tabs of Himalaya Bacopa every day (iHerb). Insomnia used to be an issue for me, but much less so in recent years. I don't think bacopa had effect either way.

6. maz

maz

Folkestone UK
    Thanks for replying! I have a supplement graveyard of all the things I tried but had bad side-effects and no benefits. Like many of us I'm so sensitive so I try to research side effects before I buy now. I will report back when I've tried bacopa.

happy likes this.
  7. maz

maz

Folkestone UK
    Bacopa trial did not go well.. I felt really unwell and I got major brain fog from it, worse than any usual brain fog episodes. The dumbest thing I did under the influence of Bacopa was to fill a hot water bottle, pull the fabric cover over the hole (while keeping the actual stopper still in my hand), then put the bottle behind me as I sat down. The result was an inch and a half by 2inch blister on my butt! Ouch! I tried it twice to make sure it was the bacopa I was reacting to. I think I will keep off nootropic type supps from now on, it never turns out well for me! Ibuprofen makes me brighter but my hair started falling out when I took it every day for around 10 weeks.

pattismith likes this.
  8. happy

happy

Ouch, I'm sorry it didn' t go well for you :(

See more popular forum discussions.